Obscure Object of Desire: Cowboy Blacksmith Belt Buckle

“Not sure if you are into this much bling, but I just got this from cowboyblacksmith.com,” TTAG reader Kevin writes. “Custom made. Roses are copper. Pistols, stems and leaves are nickel. It’s going on an elephant skin belt from The Beltman. (Don’t say anything about the elephants.)” Oops.

comments

1. avatar Joshua says:

I have an elephant skin belt and boots from Tony Lama. I’ve had them for 13 years and I still wear them quite often.

2. avatar BLAMMO says:

That’s a lotta bling? That’s nothing. Charlie Daniels makes his out of manhole covers.

I must acknowledge, that’s very nicely done. But big belt buckles just isn’t my thing.

3. avatar Rich Keagy says:

Rose thorns do not look like that. They do not hook, but come straight out.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

I have seen rose thorns both straight and hooked. Don’t ask me what variaty, as I have no clue. I know that removing multiflora rose in my neck of the woods will rip the flesh off one’s bones.

4. avatar brigo50 says:

Dark Tower effect here anyone?

1. avatar Todd Price says:

2. avatar Button Gwinnett says:

First thing I thought of.

5. avatar Nate says:

That’s pretty. Not my style, but very nicely done.

1. avatar Not Too Eloquent says:

Isn’t that a girl’s buckle? 🙂

1. avatar KWAL says:

DAMMITT!! 🙂

6. avatar Aharon says:

I like a western-style moderately engraved silver buckle. The ones featured have a bit too much bling for me. I’ll skip the elephant leather belts do to the huge number of elephants slaughtered last year and I don’t need one. Cowhide or bison leather belts work fine for me.

7. avatar Wade says:

That’s beautifully done, but I prefer to use the silver buckle I inherited from my grandfathers gunbelt.

8. avatar KWAL says:

Customer service from Paul was great. The first email I sent him was on May 10th and the finished buckle is on my belt today, after the holiday weekend. I outlined what I wanted, and after a few emails and his drawings of the buckle, I sent him a check and by the time it cleared he was done. Just an honest craftsman doing his thing. I’ll put up a link or send RF a photo of the whole rig later today. I know it’s not everyone’s style, but some guys do buy $200 elephant gunbelts, and the buckle styles available from the leather guys usually don’t do them justice. Kind of like the big watch thread last week.

9. avatar bontai Joe says:

Nice stuff! I wish I had the $$$ as I do have one western style holster and belt that could use a nice buckle.

10. avatar KWAL says:

Here is a photo of the whole rig if anyone is interested. I’m all ready for the Sunday barbecue…

11. avatar J in Ga says:

Looks like nice work. Who did the matching holster?

12. avatar Bob says:

Don’t bring that to an airport, the TSA will confiscate it and maybe have you arrested.