Ruger 10/22 Takedown Demonstration

Check out the slick, easy takedown of the new Ruger 10/22.  The sales guy said the takedown has no effect on its accuracy.  YMMV, but I want one now.

comments

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Damned clever! They know that every shooter in America already has a 10/.22, and now every shooter in America will want another 10/.22.

2. avatar cmd says:

I got one last week. It is a rock solid lock up. I don’t have a range nearby longer than 25 yards but the only accuracy issues so far are with me and not the rifle. I’m using a Leupold 1.5X4 AR optic for now until the Nikon P-22 I ordered arrives. It’s a lot of fun to shoot.

3. avatar Ian says:

Very cool. I wonder if they’ll sell a conversion kit for those so inclined that already have 10/22s.

4. avatar Jason says:

Messed around with one in the gun shop yesterday. The built-in “headspace nut” is clever. If they make one with a factory-threaded barrel in the future, I will definitely get one. Of course, swapping barrels in the future won’t be difficult…

5. avatar matthew says:

I was picking up an order from my FFL yesterday and ended up with one on impulse/long desire to have a 10/22. I put a couple hundred rounds through it today without issue. Very sweet little plinker.

I’m 37 and finally have a 10/22. I’m like Ralphy on Christmas morning.

6. avatar Accur81 says:

Wow. That’s a slick design. I may trade in my old Ruger 10/22…

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

Don’t trade! Own both. You may need a spare, right?

7. avatar bontai Joe says:

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

8. avatar Tim McNabb says:

That thing was slicker than snot on a doorknob. Straight up bitchin’. Comes with a nice padded case, too.

9. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Nothing terribly new to those of us who have seen Winchester’s take-down rifles from the days when they made high-end lever guns in presentation cases.

1. avatar Tom says:

Well, the Marlin 39 was take-down.
      Browning had a little .22 semi-auto that was take-down as well.

10. avatar Pascal says:

What was old is new again? Anyway, from the buzz all over, they will sell a ton

11. avatar joseph says:

Ruger just needs to open a couple more manufacturing plants.

12. avatar IdahoPete says:

RANGE REPORT on Ruger Takedown 10/22:

Bought one last week, and put a BSA 4x “tactical” scope on it (from cheaperthandirt.com). The BSA is a fixed-power, mil-dot reticle, 8″-long compact scope. I bought the BSA so the receiver “half” with scope mounted is not longer than the receiver half without scope, and it fits well in the carry bag.

Anyway, took it to the range yesterday. Cool (45 degrees), breezy (5-10 mph), overcast day. My Ruger takedown likes CCI Velocitor and CCI Minimag best (1/2 to 3/4″ groups) at 25 yards, but it got too windy to get a good feel for it at 50 and 100 yards. The groups indexed the same when I took it down and re-assembled it. No change in group size or location, I did not need to re-adjust scope after takedown. Very reliable – no jams with any of about 6 different brands of .22LR, from low velocity (CCI Green Tag target, CCI Standard Vel), up through the Velocitor and some Remington high-speed. REALLY happy with the little rifle, and it has a high “dang, I want one” factor when you open the case at the range.

Buy one. Now, or at least as soon as your dealer has one. Get on the waiting list. And be sure to read the assembly instructions on adjusting the take-up fitting.

AS a side note, I tried one of Ruger’s new 25-round mags for the 10/22 (steel feed lips), and it ran a bunch of mixed-brand ammo through without a hiccup. Best 25-rnd mag I have used.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Nice!

Does it have the same crappy trigger pull as the stock 10/22?

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

Unfortunately, yes. More or less OK for a plinker, but not what you would call crisp.

13. avatar Craig Sander says:

I love the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown. Check out this awesome video of of it shooting and exploding bottles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzO9p8_OJxo I can’t wait to get one and do the same.

14. avatar Peeps says:

Im an avid shooter of several larger caliber rifles, but this is my first 10/22 and I have to say I love it. With that said my only question is to how reliable the semi automatic feature is supposed to be. I’m having some stove pipe issues. I bought cci sv, cci mini mags, winchester x, and the blazer, along with some older federals I’ve had lying around. All had a 2-3 issues in a run of 50. The only shell that shot 100% were the cci green tags I shot yesterday. They also had some of the best grouping at 25 yards without a scope. Im getting my Nikon Rimfire 3-9×40 with BDC today, so Im going to be running the same test. Has anyone else had any stove pipe issues?

1. avatar Toadster99 says:

How does it work with the Nikon Rimfire 3-9×40 with BDC? Can you fit it into the bag with the scope on the gun? What rings and height did you use?