Say Hello to the Norinco 213 (9mm)

The Russian Tokarev was a military service pistol produced in Russia, Yugoslavia, Romania, Poland, North Korea, Egypt and China. The Tokarev typically chambers the powerful 7.62x25mm bottleneck cartridge. The Chinese made a unique variant chambered in 9mm—the Norinco 213— for the civilian market. The State Factory 66-manufactured all-steel 213 is nearly identical to the Russian TT-33 Tokarev with one key difference: an additional frame mounted safety. (Given the similarities. some gun guys speculate that the Hungarian Tokagypt 9mm pistol inspired the 213.) The 213 is pleasant to shoot, remarkably accurate and reliable. They are no longer imported into the U.S.; you can find one on the used market for $200-$250. [Click here to read TTAG's review of the Yugo Tokarev M57 Semi Auto (7.62×25)]

Text and photo courtesy military-arms.com

About Tim

Editor of the Military Arms Channel website. A former Marine (8152) and life long shooter specializing in military type firearms ranging from black powder to modern systems.

54 Responses to Say Hello to the Norinco 213 (9mm)

1. avatarcaffeinated says:

I’ve got one as well and it is an incredible deal considering it was NIB for $99 back when sportarms was importing them.

• avatarmike says:

i also have a 213 and it is deadly at 50 yds can take your eyeballs out with no problem she is a shooter , read the barrel has a 1000 rnd life too it but i am way past that . she hangs proudly (lol) next to my xdm 5.25 45 ching chou

• avatarCurtis porter says:

I have the pistol I would just like to get a couple more magazines

2. avatargej88 says:

I have a hard enough time trying to find stuff not made in China, why would I want to go out of my way to buy something from them?

• avatarcaffeinated says:

Let’s see, the frame and slide are forgings. The barrel is hammer forged and chrome lined. The import mandated safety sucks, but otherwise the 213 shoots decent groups and eats anything from LRN reloads to +P+ Ranger SXT.

• avatarMike says:

Because you can use it against them.

3. avatarMotoJB says:

I’ve got one…given to me by a buddy long ago. It’s a POC IMO. ;) I was lucky to find a couple spare mags for it and now I don’t know why I bought them. I never shoot it! Cetainly never would have spent money on one.

• avatarCurtis porter says:

I’ll buy the magazines from you

• avatarDick Stainkamp says:

Do you still have the 9mm Tokarev for sale?
      Price & condition?
      Any extras?

Thanks,
      Dick

• avataralexander says:

Ha ha – a standard complaint from a person who either doesn’t know what he’s doing or just wants to complain. Let’s see him sell that 213 for the $100 or less that he paid for it (or got it for free)! (hint – don’t hold your breath). The Tokarev/213/213A is one of the most reliable and accurate pistols of its time. Like anything else, it has drawbacks, but so does a Ferrari.

4. avatarTim Harmsen says:

I agree about the prices. I could kick myself for passing up surplus firearms back in the 1990′s. I assumed that many of them would be available and cheap forever, and of course I was wrong. I have fun finding the occasional gem for a good price while surfing the used gun section of my local gun shop, that’s how I came across the Norinco 213 featured in this article.

5. avatarST says:

Just when you thought Glock made the ugliest handgun, in comes the Chinese to surprise us all.

6. avatar"Dr."Dave says:

Eeeeeew.

7. avatarTwinkie says:

I think it looks like any other 1911.

8. avatarPhilthegardener says:

Another classic by JMB.

9. avatarLuc says:

A couple years ago I could get one of those shipped for $100. They’re a little more these days, not sure if anyone is still importing them in Canada.

10. avatarWes S. says:

Bought one of those (Norinco 213 9mm) for my dad back in the mid-nineties, when we were browsing the tables at a gun show. Think I paid around $100 for it. It’s been utterly reliable. Ate anything Dad and I fed it. Really likes the inexpensive Sellier and Bellot ball ammo. Not a bad investment for the money, even if it is a piece of Chinese crap.

Might have to find one of the 7.62X25 versions, or a CZ-52, to go along with it…

• avatarcaffeinated says:

If you get a 7.62 version, get the Yugo. It’s the only one with an import safety that works (ala 1911) and has design improvements such as a captive recoil spring assembly. The only downside is that they use a longer than normal magazine.

• avatarAlexander says:

Any particular reason for calling it “a piece of Chinese crap”? It functions flawlessly, very accurate, is not picky as to the type of ammo, comfortable to hold, quick on target with very controlled recoil and very quick follow up shots. Did I miss anything? It is large, but it was never designed for CC. So, I ask again, any reason for calling it “crap”?

11. avatarGabba says:

what’s the point of a tokarev in 9×19?

12. avatarTim Harmsen says:

Gabba, I enjoy the 213 because it uses a commonly available cartridge that I already keep on hand. I don’t have to purchase 7.62×25 on the net when I get the urge to shoot a Tokarev. Not many dealers around here stock 7.62×25 ammo.

13. avatarIdahoPete says:

Interesting. Looks a bit like the FN-Browning Model of 1922 in .380.

• avatarcaffeinated says:

It has a locking breach ala Browning tilt. It takes the Browning design and simplifies the manufacturing process.

14. avatarChris Dumm says:

I sometimes kick myself for not grabbing one of these for $150 back in 1995. Even if it is extremely aesthetically challenged. My Norinco 1911 is monotonously reliable, even though the trigger sucks.

• avatarcaffeinated says:

One step further would be the Norinco and Polytech M14s. I had a friend in college with one and that thing shot every bit as well as the Springfield except it used to cost right under $300. The only difference was that the Norinco used a forging instead of a casting for its receiver. I still kick myself for not buying it off of him for $450.

15. avatarDavid W says:

If I want an awesome dinosaur like the TT-33, then I want it in its original configuration. That means no safety and in 7.62×25 (a.ka. able to penetrate soft body armor). They can be had at J&G sales for under $200, but they come with an after market safety >frown.

I heard Norinco makes a TT-33 in 7.62. I would like to get my hands on one of those. However, if I am going into 9mm land I can think of man many other guns I would go w/ instead of this hybrid, dino clone.

This guy probably has the best TT-33 going:

16. avatarDavid W says:

J&G sales has them in 7.62×25. They under $200 before shipping. If I were to get a Tok, I would want one in 7.62 and no safety. If it came w/ an after market pc-safety I would seriously look at getting it removed.

17. avatarifitfliesitdies says:

Bought one about 20 years ago when Sportsman Arms were importing them… It’s been in the closet ever since. Pulled it out a couple of weeks ago when I took my CWP Class. Worked like a champ. 50/50 on my shooting and it was smooth. Looking forward to shooting it more often. Great gun for the money.

18. avatarDon says:

Does anyone know how to find A Chinese/ English owners manual for A 213 A

• avatarJonSEAZ says:

Don, I have an original operation manual in English. It has no Chinese text, however. The manual is very rudimentary and poorly written and printed. The Woods Semiautomatic book is far superior when it comes to pulling the gun apart. Although the pistol actually is rather simple to tear down, there are a couple of tricky moves needed, especially when reassembling it. One thing to know is the the main pins are split pins and they require a special tool to remove them without damage. Each pin of a different diameter requires its own tool of the same diameter. You can make the tools by V-notching the end of the correct diameter pin punch. All the V does is fit over the head of the split pin and compresses it as the punch pushes against the pin. I believe this can be found on the internet, and the Woods book (at least my older one) shows a picture of such a tool being used.

• avatarbill stuparits says:

I have 1 of these guns in the Box still what do manual if you want I can make a copy of it and send it to you it’s only 4 pages long and yes it is a very cheap copy

• I just picked up a 213 9mm for really really really cheap. great condition…. I would love to get my hands on the book that came with it… If anyone would like to help me out by scanning it. I would def. post it up online after for people to find in the future. espi69@gmail.com Thanks in advance

19. avatarRonald Tate says:

Have a collection of several variations of Tokarev TT33 pistols & clones. Most are well made and quite depndable. except for some early Chinese and Pakistani pistols. Carried a Russian TT33 in VN for an extended time early in the conflict – fired captured AP & Incendiary AP ammo through a barrel with a hard chrome insert liner. Seeing the devastating wounds sustained by enemy combatants shot with this ammo made a believer out of me. Maybe that’s why TT33 Pistols abound in the Middle East, including Pakistan, Afghanistan & Iraq.

20. avatarChris Stewart says:

I have a nasty hangnail once.from the bolt.of my.M&P…… I guess that was kinda evil

21. avatarDavid Lay says:

I found a guy who has a bag full of original 213a mags I just got a few and they are the real mags. I bought them so I could save my matching serial number mag for the collectability of a matching numbers gun. 3 digit serial number gun.

22. Would the magazine from a213 fit the t-54 9- mm

• avatarDavid Lay says:

A 213 mag might interchange if you have one of the toks that had the 9 mm conversion. But a 213a mbps mag Wil not. The 213a is the high capacity version in 9 mm. 14+1 capacity double stack mags.

23. Waiting for a yes or no on the magazine from a213& a t-54 interchangeable

24. Still waiting for answer or a dealer intx

25. avatarGlenn perry says:

Just got L213 for a trade got to 2 magazines, all I need is owners manual anyone have a copy of original they could send me on email. Thank you

• avatarGrendelizer says:

I have the big brother of your 213. Its a 213a, high capacity version. 15+1. They are honestly very nice pistols. Mine is the softest shooting 9 I have shot. And very accurate to boot.

26. avatarGlenn Perry says:

Have not got to shoot it yet, girl friend in hospital so I am with her, trying to find book tho. Carstbird@yahoo.com

27. avatarLarry says:

I have an M57, an M88a and the 213…all are a pleasure to shoot. Could care less what they look like…all I know is that when I squeeze the trigger it goes bang…every time. And the 9′s will eat anything.

28. avatarBill Lacey says:

I have a 213 in 9mm Parabellum, And I have several hundred 9 mm Makarov.
    Can they be shot safely ?

• avatarAlexander says:

If you look at the specifications for the two cartridges, you’ll see that they are significantly different. Although a Tokarev is a very forgiving gun, is it worth the test?

• avatarGrendelizer says:

The 213 was designed as a 9mm. Unlike its twin the tokarev which requires a spacer and other parts to fire 9 and 7.62.

• avatarAlexander says:

I am using “Tokarev” generically, as the 213 is a based on the Tokarev (which is based on the Browning). Regarding the question specifically, not only is the Makarov casing shorter, which can lead to blow by and the cartridge itself being much shorter (about 15%), which can lead to FTF, the Makarov bullet is actually of a larger diameter. Given a smaller powder charge, possible blow by and the wider bullet, it can get stuck in the barrel with the gases blowing into the face of the shooter through the gap. Maybe an interesting pyrotechnic display to watch from a distance, but I wouldn’t do it!

29. avatarGrendelizer says:

The 213 is unique in that it was a 9mm from the get go. I have a 213a which is even rarer in that not only is it a 9mm it is also a hi cap double stack pistol. A lot of tokarev pistols actually were sold in the states with the capability, and needed parts to fire both. They weren’t the most reliable but would do it. They had 2 barrels in the kit, and either a spacer in the mag or magwell depending on who did the conversion kits.

30. Pingback: Tokarev (Review / Range Time) – Yugo M57 / TT-33 7.62X25 | GunnerDrive