New Smith & Wesson M&P 9 “Shield”

A photo of Smith and Wesson’s new M&P Shield that’s set to be announced on April 12th was leaked to the Internet on the 5th of April. I found this particular example on Reddit.  It appears to be smaller than the M&P9c and has an extended magazine as well as an external safety. I’m willing to bet that S&W is jumping on the plastic fantastic single stack 9mm train along with Ruger, Beretta and Kel Tec. With the concealed carry masses flocking to these types of pistols and the reputation the M&P has, this is no doubt a smart move for the Massachusetts gunmaker.

About Ryan Finn

Ryan Finn is the Director of Operations and an Associate Instructor for Montana Tactical Firearms Instruction as well as a contractor for Vanguard Security Consultants when he isn't writing for TTAG. In his free time he is a volunteer firefighter and enjoys spending time in the mountains with his family.

55 Responses to New Smith & Wesson M&P 9 “Shield”

1. avatarBig J says:

Single stack, that was exactly my thought. If it is double (hard to tell from picture) it doesn’t seem to be that much smaller than a M&P9c. Going to a single stack and bringing the width down to less than an inch, would make a difference.

2. avatarJustin says:

Looks interesting…I’ll have to check one out! :)

3. avatarKurt Peters says:

Finally!

4. avatarMichael says:

I’m in.

5. avatarJason says:

But will Apex make a trigger for it?

6. avatarLLArms says:

Boring…

7. avatarcharlie Taylor says:

Someone in S&W’s marketing department deserves a raise. First the Bodyguard series, now the Shield. Too often gun companies rely solely on alpha-numeric designations, I’m glad to see S&W is bucking the trend.

As for the gun: Externally and what I can tell internally from pin positions this looks like an all new gun, not just a cut and reworked M&P. The trigger looks to have a shorter travel, and the trigger guard looks significantly smaller. The cut on the slide for the slide release is also much shorter and the distance between the slide release and the takedown lever looks shorter as well. The mag release is angled downwards and looks to have a “lower” profile. What makes me think that internally it’s a different frame (while I’m sure it’s based on the full-size M&P) is that the distance between the roll-pin and trigger pin is much shorter.

As for being a single stack, it’s hard to tell from this photograph but it’s not out of the realm of possibilities. It could be that it’s more of a “1.5 stack” than a pure single stack.

8. avatarAaron says:

If there’s going to be a “Shield” edition of any Smith and Wesson semiauto it should be a 4506…

9. avatarKYgunner says:

Kill the external safety and I’m in. Other than that it should be a great CCW gun. M&Ps are great

10. avatarSean says:

How much do you want to bet that there is a .45 on the way? The .40 is a given.

11. avatarAdam says:

I would like a restrikeable version of the M&P, a la P99DAO. (We can’t buy <105mm barreled guns, here in Canada.)

12. avatarRab says:

Unfortunately, that safety looks too small to be useful. Will have to wait to see it in hand. They should have used the same one that is one their full size M&P.

13. avatarEvilBetty says:

Oh no… Wonder if my LC9 will soon be for sale.

14. avatarGerard says:

I’d rather pick up one of the compact 39 series pistols I’ve seen online lately.

15. avatarDominick says:

Looks to be about the same size as my M&P40C and I don’t have a problem concealing it.

16. avatarSoutherner says:

Must be a prototype, I don’t see an internal lock or key!

17. avatarDerek says:

Lol, posted on the 10th but the first comment was on the 8th.

18. avatarRalph says:

“M&P 9 Shield” sounds like some kinda macho deodorant.

19. avatarChas says:

I already have one of the 9mm compacts, but even if I didn’t, I see this as a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, just like the Taurus Judge and the .327 Magnum cartridge.

However, S&W will probably sell boatloads of them.

20. avatarWisco says:

Nice looking compact 9mm. I hope it becomes available soon at a reasonable price.

21. avatarHSR47 says:

Looks like it’s yet another compact single-stack gun. Meh.

The true innovation is in subcompact/supercompact guns like the DB9.

22. avatartdiinva says:

And they same gun owners have a “size” problem. These tiny subcompacts do nothing for me. The smallest I go is my XDm at 3.8 barrel length. There is no reason why you can’t conceal a full sized handgun

• avatarMissBattleBorn says:

Wrong. I am a 5’9, 125 lb female with a very slender figure. I will not purse carry, except as a backup, because I do not like the risks associated with it. Due to my build, I am absolutely unable to conceal a full size handgun on my body. No way, no how. I’ve even altered my entire wardrobe to dress around my gun and I still can’t conceal anything larger than a single stack 9mm, like my PM9. I am not the only one with this circumstances and I very much appreciate the gun companies meeting the needs of people like myself.

• avatarMike says:

Sorry to disagree with you, but my wife who weighs 105# and is 5’3″ carries a XD45 compact (10 round magazine with a 4″ barrel) every day.
        You are not trying hard enough. She wears business suits and occasionally a dress to work then jeans and tee shirts outside of work.
        She has a thigh holster for when she wears a dress and an IWB for jeans then a belly band for her business suit. You need to use your imagination a bit and you can conceal many large frame guns.

• avatarGreggers says:

5’3, 105 lbs. is really not the same as 5’9, 125. I’m a slender male, and have the same issue as MissBattleBorn. Of course, I don’t have the option of a dress thigh-holster. :)

Single-stack 9 for me unless I get a memo the zombie apocalypse will be taking place later in the day.

• avatarRetarius says:

A few real haters on this thread! Some in the big gun crowd (and yes, I own a few) seem to feel that everyone MUST carry a big gun. How ignorant. They might be surprised to learn that many people prefer to carry a smaller/lighter gun instead – can be much more comfortable and not nearly as wardrobe limiting. Also, a comfortable gun/rig is much more likely to be carried than a big heavy brick – which is the whole point, isn’t it? “Not trying hard enough” is such a moronic statement – give us all a break, please.

• avatarBob De says:

Kahr makes great carry hand guns, Own all of them.

23. avatarRyan says:

Very dissapointed! I love S&W but with all the hype I was really expecting at the very least a single stacked 40 but would’ve loved to see a 45. Guess we’ll have to see what the price tag says (I’m guessing $400 in stores)…Either way, why not spend a couple more bucks and get an M&P40c (which I own and love) that has some knock down power or probably save some money and go with a Bodyguard .380 that you can carry in you pack of cigarettes. 9mm or .380 you can expect return fire if it’s not a perfectly placed shot…just pray they didn’t buy an XDS 45!!! Excellent marketing idea indeed and I’m sure they’ll sell a ton but I would encourage anyone to go at least M&P40c if you’re looking for concealed carry to defend yourself or loved ones.

• avatarScott Es. says:

According to their website and official release that occurred this morning, they are offering in .40s&w and .9mm.

• avatarRyan says:

I’m very pleased to see they offer it in a 40!!! I have to agree they’re solving a problem that doesn’t exist when it comes to the 9mm but in a single stack 40 and less than an inch thick I do believe there would be more of a market for it. My opinion…
        You want small caliber excellent concealed carry = .380 Bodyguard.
        You want small caliber, concealed carry, range gun = M&P9C
        You want some knock down, concealed carry = M&P40 Shield
        You want a good all around gun = M&P40c
        You want lights out concealed carry = M&P45c or wait until they come out with a 3 shot revolver in .500 S&W or a single shot break action 12 guage shotshell handgun for concealed carry… I’d want one of each :)

• avatarTR10 says:

@ Ryan:

Really??? FLAME DELETED . . . terminal ballistics.

Look around, you wont find many serious firearms trainesr carrying .40 these days. There is a reason for it and its pretty straight forward, FLAME DELETED

• avatarRyan says:

I’m still not following your “terminal ballistics” comment…Opinions and what results an individual is looking for will vary when taking into account terminal ballistics of a specific round. I’ve heard many more stories of victims surviving a shot from .380 or 9mm than those surviving a 40 or 45…

• avatarlittledijon says:

The reason you don’t here about people being shot with a 40 cal or a 45acp is because few peopl get shot with them. I work in an ER. So far I have witnessed over a dozen patient who were shot. None of them were shot with a 40cal or a 45acp. all were shot with 9mm, 38spec, 22lr, or 12 gauge. The only tow who lived were the 12 gauge guy and the 9mm guy.

24. avatarPhil says:

I would prefer more no-lock revolvers!

25. avatarScott Es. says:

I think it looks awesome! In a 40 and 9, and given the superior quality and accuracy of the M&P line, I’m sure they’ll be a big hit.

26. avatarMichael B says:

I don’t see the point in this. It’s substantially taller than the G26, unloaded weight isn’t much difference, and the Glock is only a tad fatter.

It would’ve been epic had it been a pocket nine, but it’s not.

• avatarCount says:

The Glock is more than a TAD fatter. It’s bulky, cumbersom and butt ugly.

• avatarWilliam O. B'Livion says:

Yes, because you know the MOST IMPORTANT feature of a firearm–a tool primarily for shooting people who are trying to exert their will inappropriately–is how good it looks.

Yeah, Glocks are but ugly. And the LAST thing you want is some dude cursing you for killing him with an ugly gun.

People shot with ugly guns get a free pass into heaven. If you want them to go to hell you have to use a GOOD looking gun. Like a 1911. 1911s send bad guys STRAIGHT TO HELL. This is critical in firearm selection.

Freaken hell, shoot what works best for you and f* everyone else.

27. avatarLarry says:

why did they make it unfriendly for lefties?

28. avatarCount says:

I have a Glock Model 27 and a Kahr CW9 and CW45. The Glock is just a little too bulky to carry inside the trousers. I also have a full size S&W M&P in 40, 357 Sig & 45. I altertnate between the CW9 & CW45 for concealed carry. My reasons for buying the Shield is the trigger pull and short reset. I love it on the M&P.

29. avatarscott says:

Just looked at the Shield 9mm this AM at a local dealer. Fits my large-ish hand quite nicely, priced at $399.99 versus $449 MSRP. Gonna get this one, for sure.

30. avatarAndy says:

Can’t afford an arsenal of firearms ($$$$) so I bought a M&P Shield 9mm to go along with my M&P 40c. Seems like a good combo. Both serve their purpose!

31. avatarAndy says:

32. avatarBryan says:

I bought one last week. In 9mm no less!!! I already have the S&W 1911PD in .45, which I like as well.
    What’s to complain about? The Shield shoots great, I love it. I would marry it if I didn’t live in Georgia. Stop you’re griping.
    I’m 215lbs. I guess I could conceal a full size pistol on my person if I wanted to, which I don’t. This will work just fine.
    I like to tie my boots tight too. If that’s alright with the scholars out there.

33. avatarגרירה says:

There’s certainly a lot to learn about this subject. I love all of the points you have made.