Quote of the Day: And the Barrel Looks Like the Holland Tunnel Edition

“In one round of the experiment involving 628 viewers, the researchers found that men whose hands held a .357-caliber handgun were thought to be almost 5 feet, 10 inches — more than 2 inches taller than men whose hands held a caulking gun.” - Amina Khan, A gun in hand makes a man look taller, study says, latimes.com

About Robert Farago

18 Responses to Quote of the Day: And the Barrel Looks Like the Holland Tunnel Edition

1. avatarMoonshine7102 says:

A sample size of 628 gives a probable error of about 4%. 4% of 70 inches is over 2.5 inches. Therefore the difference in apparent height lies within the probable error of the experiment. Yup, I’m kind of a kill-joy.

2. avatarIdahoPete says:

I beleive it was Al Capone who said “you can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word.”

3. avatarJess Banda says:

Cruise is not short…he uses lifts.

• avatarspymyeyes says:

Call it like it is Jess,

Tom Cruise wears high heels so he does not look like the crazy runt that he is.

4. avatarRalph says:

That’s nothing. A recent survey of 5243 rapists found that a woman holding a .357 looks gi-f^cking-normous.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

I’m no scientist, but I’m pretty sure that gi-f^cking-normous is outside the margin of error. :)

5. avatarI_Like_Pie says:

I held a Sig 210 a year or so ago and I swear I grew about 6″

6. avatarAharon says:

Now put a gun in the hand of the viewers and re-ask them to estimate the height of the man with the gun. Colt made a man equal and that is why men like BO and EH don’t want free men to own guns. Modern politicians (alphas) of both sexes want most men to be held down and turned into beta and omega males. I’ve chosen to go Zeta and ghost from society and its pre-set game board rules.

For more on Zeta males, go to:

7. avatarcz82mak says:

Does this gun make my caulk look bigger?

8. avatarTom says:

Tom Cruise probably needs a big gun. Needs platform shoes as in the disco era.

9. avatarDarren says:

Can’t believe that Cruise is going to portray Jack Reacher in the movie version of “One Shot”.

On behalf of the couple of percent of the population that are actually Reacher’s fictional size (6’5″ and 260lbs), I am deeply offended.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

That makes no sense. One of the major facts about him is that he’s built like a linebacker.

10. avatarDoctorHog says:

Ok, I’m confused. I know S&W makes a 627 in .357 magnum and a 629 in .44 magnum and I know that the magnum rounds are both taller than their respective parent cartridges but I can’t find a 628. They made a model 28 in .357 magnum though. Oh, wait, it was 628 viewers – what kind of .357 was it? Was it an N frame? K,L? I have a model 19 – does that make me taller? Man am I confused.