Gun Tweet of the Day: Top Shot Cancelled. Or Not.

Can’t say I’m disappointed. I, snarky ass gun blogger that I am, couldn’t be bothered to watch Tuesday’s episode. Hell, Foghorn didn’t even blog the guns. Colby’s Twitter account is all a twitter with his efforts to mount a viewer campaign to save the show, but I reckon it’s Dodo dead. The dentally magnificent one will have to find another TV program where putting his hands on his hips and smiling will earn him a decent salary. Is The Wiggles still on the air? [h/t austinb] UPDATE: False alarm (to gin-up support)? Since this appeared, Colby Tweeted: “Let me be clear: #TopShot has NOT been cancelled. Ratings were strong last night & we need that continue in order to get green light on S5.” Yeah, that’s clear. Someone’s scared they’re going to lose their job. S0on.

comments

1. avatar Mark says:

Sorry to hear about the cancellation. The interpersonal drama isn’t entertaining, but the shooting challenges have been remarkable.

2. avatar Mercutio says:

watched half of one episode. All it lacked was Kim Kardasian with a Kahr.

1. avatar Jay Wolf says:

Ditto.

3. avatar MadDawg J says:

I hope they keep Top Guns, that show I like and watch.

4. avatar cz82mak says:

Yes, The Wiggles are still on the air. Just watched it this morning.

5. avatar Ryan says:

Top guns is far better

1. avatar Van says:

I did watch one episode of Top Guns and was glad to see it was about the guns. I never watched the other show. I hate drama.

6. avatar Don says:

My Gun Show Pitch:

1. Film regular organized shooting competitions
    2. Produce it like other sports (player stats, quick interviews, some commentary)
    3. Put it on TV

There is a weekly show about 3-Gun competition. I think it’s called “3-Gun America, but I’m not sure. Anyway, it’s boring.

Shooting is fun and exciting. Watching people shoot on TV? Not so much.

1. avatar Jamie in ND says:

@ Ralph: That’s how I feel about hunting shows, bow hunting in particular. I think bow hunting SUX A–!!! and yes I’ve tried it more than once & it still SUX!!!

2. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

“Watching people shoot on TV? Not so much.”
        —–
        I dunno, Ralph. Ours is the country in which people will sit on the couch and watch people play poker on TV, after all.

2. avatar Ropingdown says:

What you can expect is a weekly drama featuring a bunch of young hot hard-bodies equipped with bow-and-arrow (and perhaps those pymgy blow guns..) fighting to survive against other competitors, all of them forced into the fight-to-the-death by evil republican bankers and democrat labor racketeers.

Or “Neighborhood Watch”: Crimes petty and grand, ambiguous shootings, a very mixed cast of characters, a central-Florida crimes-and-sins melodrama thematically a step up from Jersey Girls, a step down from Law and Order, and therefore suitable for today’s viewing audience.

7. avatar Randomhero says:

Last nights episode was stupid. 1500yard shot. TIMED! all it was was who could walk the shot to the target the fastest. As much as i like the show, some of it gets dumb.

8. avatar pair-o-dee says:

Last night’s episode of Top Shot was a lot of fun – 1500 yard shooting, and dueling lever-action Henry rifles. One of the best episodes the show has done.

9. avatar Pat Carver says:

I really like the 15 minute show that I can turn each episode into using the fast forward button on my Tivo. Just give me the challenges and I am happy.

10. Does “has not been renewed” necessarily mean “cancelled”? My interpretation of Colby’s remark is simply that the network has not – yet – contracted for another season. He’s saying ratings need to go up in order for that to happen. That suggests the window for renewal is still open. I know “CANCELLEDDDDDDD!!!!” makes a way more exciting headline (especially when you’ve got a ridiculous hard-on for the show and everything about it), but it’s not necessarily “Truth.”

11. avatar HAVE GUN says:

I enjoy Top Shot and will hate to see it go.

12. avatar boomenshutzen says:

What’s Top Shot?

13. avatar William says:

I blame George Zimmerman.

I blame George Bush.

1. avatar boomenshutzen says:

Really, if you think about it, it’s because there are fewer teller jobs due to the proliferation of ATMs.

1. avatar Matt G. says:

Well if it weren’t for the damn USPS draining us dry…!

14. avatar sdog says:

god this is annoying, as much as TS annoys me, this does good things for the 2A community by portraying gun owners for what they really are…….people.

this is the only show worth watching on the channel aside from pawn stars and that is loosing its appeal IMO. larry the cable guy’s show? its pretty ****ing stupid.

1. avatar Jamie in ND says:

@ sdog: +1

15. avatar Jake says:

Man where will I get my delightfully colorful HD slo-mo bullet strikes fix? That is easily 90% of why I watch the show.

16. avatar jkp says:

Colby just tweeted:

Let me be clear: #TopShot has NOT been cancelled. Ratings were strong last night & we need that continue in order to get green light on S5.

1. avatar Matt G. says:

The fact that you follow Colby on twitter makes me sad.

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

He does it so we don’t have to.

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

True spirit of sacrifice.

2. avatar jkp says:

You fools — I just followed Farago’s link!

So you guys just accept whatever’s said on the internet and don’t actually check cited sources? I bet April Fool’s Day is chock full of surprises for you eh?

17. avatar bontai Joe says:

I actually enjoyed last night’s show. Not so much drama, and actually had some useful info on long range shooting, such as using mirage to dope out the wind direction. It was kinda sad to see Gabby leave, I had predicted her to finish in first place before the first episode aired. She was a class act, and she could shoot! Watching her shooting that .338 Lapua, her eyes never flinched, and that rifle had to whack her small frame pretty good.

18. avatar Mides says:

If you are reading this Colby: Unfortunately you need to add the unrelated after match BS gossip and fighting in order to get an audience to tune in for the next episode. Invite the contestant’s spouses. Pepper it with interviews about their feelings and how the would want to beat someone up. You may then have a consistent audience a la Housewives of Top Shot City.

Then we can all bitch about how scandalous it is but still secretly watch it! It’a a Win Win!

19. avatar Twinkie says:

This last season has been WEAK due to the contestants. I’m sure they are all wonderful people but they bore me to death. Jake Zweig was too much, but Season 3 at least had lots of cool people. Reality shows need interesting weirdos to watch. The shooting is cool, and slow-mo never gets old but for the masses they need a freak show.

Me, I will watch it till it dies. Even with boring people. Colby’s teeth would devour me if I didn’t. And I love how he says “Baaaas Proshop!”

20. avatar jsallison says:

Watched one episode. Keep the range time. Lose the insufferably stupid soap opera, buncha whiney biyatches.

21. avatar Leo Atrox says:

I typically forward through any of the “house” stuff and FFWD to the range time. My three-year-old son has grown accustomed to this practice, and now reminds me when there is house dialog, “we don’t need to watch this, right Daddy?”

22. avatar ScottD says:

Keep the show, lose Colby.

23. avatar Alan Rose says:

Colby ain’t so bad. The political crap needs to go. It puts gun owners in a bad light, and I’m pretty sure it’s either forced or scripted for ratings. Trying to emulate other “crap” reality shows. Just be different already! I think the range stuff is more than enough to hold the ratings, and more would be better, as long as they don’t “jump the shark” which they’ve been pretty close to several times. The totally unrealistic moving shoots are borderline embarrassing.

24. avatar MotoJB says:

I like the shows and think he does a fine job…I don’t want to see ANY shooting shows disappear off the air. We need these shows to support gun ownership.

25. avatar zane says:

“The dentally magnificent one will have to find another TV program where putting his hands on his hips and smiling will earn him a decent salary.”

Wow, my stomach hurts from laughing – beautifully crafted sentence, and for those that watch the show but are disgusted by Colby’s teeth-bared yelling, it is priceless.