Charles Heizer Describes the Recoil of the New Heizer Double Tap

[HTML1]

comments

1. avatar spymyeyes says:

Oh ok.

$800 to $1000 for a two-shot hunk of metal that will hurt you more than the perp!

I can’t wait to buy one because just the other day I thought:

What’s the best way to break my hand and go broke at the same time?

2. avatar Derek says:

Sounds like something that will see a whole lotta pratice…

[/sarc]

3. avatar Charlie says:

Does your heart burn for an overpriced derringer? Are you a masochist? Here’s how to get one on the cheap: wait 6 months after everyone trades their Heizer in for a snubbie.

4. avatar Todd Price says:

Then I am not interested. It took me many rounds of ammo to become accurate on followup shots with my S&W 340 with .38 Special +P, and this is smaller and weighs less. For me, the first shot would have to be a man stopper, or I would likely be in trouble. 🙁

5. avatar CarlosT says:

Report from NRA 2013:

New from Heizer, the Single Tap Ultra, a one shot pistol chambered in .300 Win Mag. The new pocket pistol, set to retail at $9,999 creates a whole new category in conceal carry products.

“We listened to customers and what they told us is that the Double Tap didn’t offer what they were looking for in low capacity, high price, and pain,” said Single Tap Ultra inventor Charles Heizer. “So we went back to the drawing board and did what we could to maximize those qualities. I think we’ve hit it out of the park: can’t get much lower than one, damn near ten grand for a pocket pistol, and if you have a hand left after shooting it, I’ll shake it.”

Look for the Single Tap Ultra in your local gun store this summer.

+1!

Hysterical.

6. avatar bontai Joe says:

Sounds like an expensive way to develop a bad flinch. And I worked really hard to get rid of my flinch.

7. avatar borekfk says:

At least he’s honest about it.

1. avatar spymyeyes says:

I got to see a mule kick for myself.

My buddy walked behind his “old gray mare” and it kicked him right in the shin-bone and broke it like a twig.

I will never forget the sound of a human bone breaking and don’t think anyone should have to fork over a grand just to experience the same thing.

Just go piss off a horse or a mule and get your jollies that way, much cheaper!

8. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Heizer was *supposed* to send us (okay, me) one for testing almost a year ago. Instead of telling us about the recoil, how’s about letting us see for ourselves?

1. avatar BigBeluga says:

Amen. Been dying to see a video of someone shooting this thing forever. Seems like one of those movies that the studio knows is bad so they don’t have an advance screening, hoping to sell as many tickets as possible during the first weekend before word gets around.

9. avatar Elliotte says:

Speaking of .45’s, small pistols, and recoil, hopefully Springfield will have more info on the XDS and the other calibers coming in the future for it.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Springfield actually let people shoot the XDS at SHOT and from what I remember they reported it was pretty pleasant for a small .45.

10. avatar Scott.a says:

The 45 seems like overkill but would 2 shot 9mm at close range be a horrible secondary weapon? I thought the cheaper ported ones were around 500 and it’s so small it could be concealed very easily.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Just get a small revolver in .38. You can get a J-Frame from Buds for $378. That’s three more shots and not that much bigger.

Not that I’m a revolver fan. But if I needed a pocket gun, that’s what I’d do.

11. avatar James says:

They’ll go broke. Nobody’s going to pay $800 for a two-shot that bruises your palm with a single shot.

If they’d pull their heads out of their asses, give it an MSRP of, say a little less than half of that, at $350, I bet they’d fly off the shelves faster than they could manufacture them.

The design and engineering is pretty impressive, specifically the trigger mechanism, but at $800, there’s way better deals to be had on way more practical, concealable pistols.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Charlie says he has 20k orders from dealers. They’re ramping-up to 5k a month. Even if the gun is a damp squib, they’ll have a pretty good ride.

12. avatar Skyler says:

To be fair, this is not the sort of weapon that requires practice. It’s an in-you-face last ditch derringer. That it kicks hard shouldn’t surprise anyone that has any experience with pistols.

Its merits are still that it is quite small and shoots a .45 acp round. That’s it. It will sell fine.

13. avatar Chaz says:

How about a four shot setup in .380? Have the barrels fire by twos. Automatic double taps: bang-bang; pull the trigger again and bang-bang. Unfortunately that would probably break some full auto rule.

1. avatar twency says:

Yeah, that would be a “machinegun”:
      “any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.”

(The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) at 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(23), and the National Firearms Act (NFA) at 26 U.S.C. 5845(b))

14. avatar 2Wheels says:

I suspect these will sell, and then immediately after the owner shoots them for the first time they’ll either end up on the used rack at your local gun store or deep in that owners gunsafe to be brought out only as a conversation piece… Kinda like some ultra light .357 Mag snubbies…