Silver Shadow to Unveil New Double Barreled Assault Rifle

Israeli Defense is reporting that Silver Shadow, an Israeli arms manufacturer, is on the verge of announcing a new double barreled assault rifle. Seeing as their existing line of firearms is based around the AR-15 platform (and going by the picture here) it looks to be some mutated form of AR-15. According to ID the company will release the full details in June in Paris, but until then all we can do is speculate. Needless to say this probably will fit under the ATF’s definition of a machine gun.

[h/t Jesse]

About Nick Leghorn

21 Responses to Silver Shadow to Unveil New Double Barreled Assault Rifle

1. avatarCarlosT says:

Have the scheduled another press conference yet where they’ll reveal the point of such a weapon?

2. avatarMoonshine7102 says:

Yet another fine example of “Because We Can” engineering.

3. avatarMatt Gregg says:

Might be a good companion to that double barreled 1911. Thats the only good thing I can think of to say about this.

4. avatarAharon says:

I want nothing less than a triple barrel in .50 caliber.

• avatarbob says:

In what; bewoulf, AE, BMG, or S&W mag.?

• avatarMike in NC says:

One of each caliber! (when bob had only three listed…)

Now the concept has to go back to Aharon for a revision.

• avatarAharon says:

You guys are already way over my head in discussing .50 caliber. They only time that I ever fired a .50 caliber anything was in Army Infantry School.

5. avatarMike in NC says:

Wonder if someone misread the design specs and came up with a 6.5 kilogram AR instead of the 6.5 pounds as intended.

At least it looks like they didn’t increase the number of handguard rails by having one top and bottom for each barrel.

6. avatarFrank says:

Seems to me kind of useless and a wast of ammo. Why have 2 barrels shooting the same round when 1 will do? Also kind of hard to use any kind “modern” sighting system. Or did I miss the point?

7. avatarAharon says:

I suspect that a fully-loaded 7.62/308 double-barrel would be too damn heavy and cumbersome for any real action or weekend warrior play. Probably it is an AR platform and even such will imo still be too heavy for real use. This new gun along with the fully automatic shotgun and double-barrel 1911 will make for one amusing film or video game.

8. avatarChris Dumm says:

A 2-barreled .223? Might be fun, but even a 2-barreled .22 long rifle is ridiculous. Ridiculous and silly fun, but still completely useless.

9. avatarBuuurr says:

Love it. I hope they get the timing right so the ballistics are not offset.

10. avatarTom says:

Gee, I thought the Villar Perosa submachinegun was around in 1914 as a double barrel weapon. I think the Italians discovered it rather impractical and Beretta made a single barrel spin off of it in 1918. I also think a Villar Perosa single barrel was made, but the stock left a lot to be desired.
    Think about it.
    What was in vogue in 1914, is now the hot item in 2012.

11. avatarAlan Rose says:

They need to buy the name “Double Tap.”

12. avatarrevjen45 says:

HAHAHAHAHA!! I am nonplussed at the absurdity of such a contraption. The only reason I can think of for anything so moronic and impractical is that it must have been designed specifically for use in action movies and licensed for video games.

13. avatarbrigo05 says:

come on, someone had to simplify Red Jacket’s triple M4 nightmare and make it…uhhhhhh….practical? is that the word im looking for? No, cant be…

14. avatarLarry Mitchell says:

Er…..This I gotta see. No “gotcha” for me.

15. avatarDee Dee Mao says:

The double barrel 1911 is very likely a hoax. I for one don’t see how the barrel bushings could be removed on such a design unless there were more clearance between them. To me it just looks like creative digital animation and all there is is the one youtube vid and a couple of pictures and after two years there’s been no further reports of an actual functioning firearm.

As far as the rifle, it remains to be seen if they can actually double the firepower without doubling the weight, particularly the weight of twice the amount of ammo unless they want to go to a smaller and less effective cartridge.

Twin barrels work fine for weapons that are belt fed and crew-served but not so much so for the basic individual infantry rifle, but maybe that’s not what they have in mind, and possibly instead something like a BAR carried by a designated squad member.