Bill Clinton: Only Nixon Could Sign a Gun Control Bill

Wait. Maybe only Nixon could go to China. And only he (Clinton) could sign the Brady Bill. Or something. In any case, the priapic one himself is offering some advice to the beagle eater in chief – don’t mess with gun control. The reason: Barack’s “from an urban area.” Which, I dunno, sounds like a thinly veiled racial reference no? “Clinton said he could sign the 1993 Brady handgun law, which mandated federal background checks for gun buyers, because he is from Arkansas, grew up among hunters and hunted in his youth.” Got that? “I have an unusual cultural advantage to deal with this on a legislative basis.” So let’s update our political playbooks with the new Clinton rule, shall we? White guy with a “cultural advantage” from the south = gun control OK. “Urban” black law professor = don’t touch guns with a ten foot pole. Can you imagine the headlines if Romney had said something along those lines?

comments

1. avatar JS III says:

The media loves the clintons, he could eat a baby and get a free pass.

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

Or smoke a cigar… 😉

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

Or have someone else smoke a cigar lol

2. avatar John R. says:

Could he eat a dog?

2. avatar Henry Bowman says:

Not only could I imagine the headlines, but I could imagine Romney actually saying that too.

He’s no diffenent than Clinton, Obama, or Bush… he just decides who would be more politically expediant to emulate each day and then spouts off whatever line is appropriate for the audience.

3. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

what is funnier is the left will not even condemn him for obviously racial statements. Of course, I have been called an Uncle Tom for pointing this out to “friends”.

1. avatar Aharon says:

Dirk,

I know how you feel. I get the same sorta thing from my fellow white Jewish friends or acquaintances (liberal or conservative) when I point out various double-standards, bs, hypocrisy, and unethical behavior they think is ok since it benefits them or some group they share values with.

I have been called an Uncle Tom

Remind them, DD, that neither Uncle Tom nor Topsy was packing. If they were, I think that Massa might have been a little nicer to them.

4. avatar Silver says:

I fail to see how being from a certain demographic makes it ok for one to then stab them in the back.

5. avatar GS650G says:

I wonder if Bill was in Columbia last weekend for the party at the SS hotel?

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

I heard he pleaded the fifth on that one!

6. avatar TTACer says:

That is so incredibly racist only a Democrat could say it. Obama isn’t from an “urban area”, he is from Hawaii.

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

I believe Billy was referring to the cesspit south of Milwaukee.

2. avatar Aharon says:

Oh, I thought Obama was from a turban area in Indonesia.

7. avatar KYgunner says:

“the priapric one”

Hahahaha. Thanks for that one Dan. That is the most apt/hilarious description of that horny bastard I’ve ever heard. Dirty jokes delivered with class, one of the many reasons TTAG is head and shoulders above the rest

8. avatar Jake says:

Anyone with an R instead of a D would get verbally crucified on national television for saying this.

9. avatar Aharon says:

Bill and Hitlary are definitely the leading candidates for the most narcissistic and self-absorbed political couple award.

10. avatar Sanchanim says:

Well that is Bill for ya.. He is kind of right but demographics have nothing to do with it.
    I do have a sure fire way for Obama to get reelected though. Tell SCOTUS to throw out all state and local laws on gun control. If he did that no Republican could touch him on that issue.

11. avatar rosignol says:

Nope.

Clinton got the D’s a serious whuppin’ in 94 (54 seats in the House, 9 in the Senate), even being a good ol’ boy from down south. Now, that’s not just the 2nd-A vote… but pissing off the gunnies didn’t help.

12. avatar Urquattro says:

This is good! Let Clinton put it in their heads to leave fun control alone!

13. avatar GS650G says:

I give Bill a little sympathy, he is married to The Hillary.

+1.

What the hell was Slick Willy thinking of? If I was married to that bandy-legged beyotch in a pants suit, I think I’d give some serious thought to moving into a monastery or a cathouse.

14. avatar Big J says:

Ahhhh…. Clinton. A true politician. Giving Obama good advice in a way that makes everybody else look bad. Let’s translate:

“President Obama. Don’t go after the guns. At all. Remeber, I signed into law the Brady Bill and AWB. In the following election, every swing seat held by a Democrat went Republican. We got trounced in the House, lost 54 seats. Now, most of America already doens’t like what you did to health care. Your economy is sucking. The country is as pro-gun as it has been since prohibition. Thirty-eight states have adopted concealed carry since I won the 1992 electon, your home state is the last hold out. It’s lost the last two firearms related Supreme Court cases brought against it and if someone sues to challenge FOID, Illinois will loose that too. So… If you go after the guns, figuring your rammed through Obamacare, you can ram through this. No, you won’t. You will watch your fellow Dems jump ship like tourists off an Italian cruise liner. If, somehow, you manage to force a few to side with you on a gun grab. Come the next election, Dems will control the seats from NYC, LA, Chicago, Detroit, and San Fransciso. Everything else will turn red and stay red, and it will all be your fault.”

15. avatar CarlosT says:

Which, I dunno, sounds like a thinly veiled racial reference no?
    No, it looks like an explicit North/South, urban/rural contrast. The political benefits of playing against type have been known from time immemorial. If Kennedy goes to China, he’s a Communist puppet. When Nixon goes to China, it’s a diplomatic coup.

So Bill’s just pointing out the obvious: Obama’s much more vulnerable than Clinton was to the harmful effects of gun control for Democrats. As many have pointed out, as it was gun control hurt Clinton plenty. Clinton is just reminding Obama that a Northern, urban Democrat from a city and state with deserved reputations for idiotic gun laws would do himself enormous harm for pitiful benefit by pushing gun control.

1. avatar TTACer says:

It is not urban/rural, it is a racial “code word” according to liberals and democrats. Even if you don’t think it is, among the people that “the first black president” (because cheating on your wife is a black thing?) hangs out with it is and he certainly knows that. He may be a perjurer but he is not stupid. A man who would parse the definition of “is” does not choose his word by accident.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

And what other message would he be sending with the “code”? Even if there are racial undertones, so what? The message is that Clinton, a white Southerner from a rural background could get away with passing more gun control than Obama, a black Northerner from an urban background can, and that still cost Clinton dearly. So if Obama is smart, he’ll stay the hell away from gun control.

That’s just a blatantly obvious political truism, along the lines of “water is wet”, “fire is hot”, “ice is cold”, “day is light”, and “night is dark”. As far as political pronouncements go, it’s an utter yawnfest.

16. avatar karlb says:

Race-baiting, bastards. Why the heck doesn’t anyone call out these liberal bastards when they use code words?

Could it be because Clinton did not say that? He stated Obama “was in the state Senate from the most liberal district in Chicago.” The quotation Dan Zimmerman used was from the article’s author, not Clinton. Read the article, people.

17. Fantastic! Super captivating info. I am book-marking this website right now. With thanks!