TTAG New Site Design

The new TTAG site design has arrived. We hope you’ll find it happier, shinier, cleaner and faster. As with any new site, there are a few kinks to work out. If you could email stephenm@thetruthaboutguns.com with a description of any item(s) that aren’t working, how it/they occurred and any other pertinent information (including your browser), I would be most appreciative. Rest assured that I’ll address any and all bugs as they occur, and rectify issues as best I can as fast as I can. In the coming weeks, we’ll be adding various WordPress upgrades to enhance the user experience. RF and I and the rest of the TTAG crew will work hard to make them work. We appreciate your patience. And that’s The Truth.

comments

1. avatar Tim Tritt says:

Does that include the time-change for Daylight Savings Time?

2. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

I just offer this advice….go to any of the gawker sites.

Don’t do that.

1. avatar Totenglocke says:

This, times a million. The biggest mistake that Gawker made was after they unveiled their god-awful new site design, they refused to listen to their readers and make changes because “they spent a lot of money on the new site”.

3. avatar Sonny says:

NO DADDY, NO!

4. avatar Robert Farago says:

The new site will work exactly the same way as the old site. Same number of posts per page [fix in the works]. Same general layout. Just cleaner with a few new widgets.

1. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

Good. Good move! Keep it simple

2. avatar mike0101 says:

Looks good and easy to navigate. Thanks.

5. avatar James says:

Now I’ll probably have to change all my adblock filters. Great.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Sorry for the inconvenience. On the positive side, the ads that you won’t see will look cleaner / less intrusive than they did before for the people who don’t block them. How great is that?

1. avatar James says:

I do occasionally turn it off to see what’s being offered or linked to, but for the most part, internet advertising is gaudy and offensive, and distracts against the content being viewed. The trackers that run with the page views (Doubleclick, Google Analytics, Lockerz Share, and WordPress Stats) are mildly alarming, as well.

Doubleclick is one of the oldest and most egregious and omnipresent targeted ad-delivery mechanisms in the tubes, second only to Google Analytics in terms of both ubiquity and function. Who knows what WordPress is doing with the random data they’ve collected (my guess is selling it to ad agencies), but those social networking share buttons (and the Lockerz Share tracking script) are the worst – they transmit my data to Facebook and Twitter and the like, despite the fact that I do not use their services.

6. avatar Not Too Eloquent says:

I sincerely hope this works out. Please don’t do a Deadspin.

7. avatar RKflorida says:

1. avatar Leftshooter says:

“I have a problem with the new site! It’s new. I hate change. I will be dragged kicking and screaming into this darn 21st century yet.”

RKflorida: Embrace change! Join the new world! I have. That’s why I have a single-action revolver designed in the 1870s, a lever-action rifle from the 1890s and a semi-auto placed into service in 1911! All purchased in the 21st century! New stuff is fun! 😉

8. avatar Avid Reader says:

Same browser crashes from Shockwave malfs? OH, NOOO!

9. avatar BC; MT says:

Hate it! What did you do with Kozak’s awesome, stripped down target graphics?

1. avatar BC; MT says:

And the weird, beige orange-peel background? I really dug the classy, minimalist design from before.

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

The new pared-down design (which allows for a more elegant advertising interface) couldn’t accomodate the splatter logo. We tried. Many times.

1. avatar BC; MT says:

I guess that’s all you can do. The good news is that we know the content will still be great. Thanks!

10. avatar the gun wire says:

Liked the old look…like the new look. Impressive, guys. Keep up the good work.

11. avatar CarlosT says:

Would it be possible to make the comments list longer? The conversation is a big feature of the site and it would be great to be able to track them better.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’d like a longer “Recent Comments” list, and possibly place it above the “Gun Reviews” widget, so that it’s visible on initial screen load without scrolling.

12. avatar JeffD says:

I like the new look.

13. avatar Mike in NC says:

A comment about the page layout with both the old and new formats: The layout appears to be optimized for use on a 1024 pixel wide screen and I feel like I’ve loaded a smart phone page layout. When viewing TTAG on a widescreen monitor with a large browser window (Firefox 10) there is quite a bit of room within the window for it to expand. Allowing the layout to use more screen width would certainly help the comments when they get to be deeply nested and reduced to long columns with two or three words per line.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Good point. On it.

2. avatar KWAL says:

Good point. I see it too. Loads up great on my iphone. Like the new logo. Works fine on my Mac with Chrome, but there’s lots of room on the right side.

1. avatar Buuurr says:

Same here. Widescreen monitor. Literally two thirds of my screen is bare. Up the rez.

14. avatar HAVE GUN says: