Texas Legalizes Hunting with Silencers

Advanced Armament’s blog reports that the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has voted unanimously to allow hunting with silencers in the Lone Star state. That’s great news for hunters, who can now keep an ear out for those delicious critters without the risk of hearing loss. Arizona and Georgia are considering following suit, with significant steps forward in each state recently. Why it took so long to get a safety device approved for use I’ll never know, but it makes me all the more thankful that my can should be coming in any week now. Which reminds me, I need to talk to Tyler about the upcoming hunting season . . .

comments

1. avatar Tyler Kee says:

Game. On.

2. avatar Headoftheholler says:

It’s about time. The sooner we can integrate surpressors into hunting the sooner they will hopefully become more accepted by the general population. In the UK you can’t fart without a permit, but surpressors are over the counter items.

3. avatar Josh says:

How big of an effect, if any, do suppressors have on accuracy and muzzle velocity? Any negative effects, and are they notable?

1. avatar Patrick Carrube says:

Silencers/suppressors can have a positive, negative, or neutral effect on accuracy and velocity. It depends on the gun/cartridge/round used/suppressor used, etc.

A range “acquaintance” tested a AAC-7.62SDN with my chrono a month ago or so. He actually gained velocity (IIRC about 50 fps) out of his 16″ AR-10 (ASA Mfg’d) shooting 150-gr FMJ’s (Hornady Steel Match). I’ll have to ask him what the SPL’s were, as I was more interested in velocity and accuracy myself.

POI shift was negligible at 100-yards. Of course, YMMV…

2. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

These days the effects are negligible at worst and positive at best. With the old bullet wipe system you lost velocity and accuracy, but these days the bullet isn’t touched by the silencer as it passes through so there’s really no effect. Some even claim that it improves accuracy.

There is a slight shift in the point of impact, though, since you’re adding weight to the end of the barrel and bending it slightly.

4. avatar GS650G says:

Next up, full auto squirrel hunting with suppressors.

Good. I hate those tree rats.

5. avatar Elliotte says:

” Why it took so long to get a safety device approved for use I’ll never know”

I think the movies are to blame in this instance. The movies have shown silencers as assasination tools, not hearing safety devices and this has led the general public to view them as such.

6. avatar Pascal says:

Great, now if can rid of that NFA Tax and start calling them hearing safety devices we would have something.

7. avatar Accur81 says:

They are suppressors, not silencers!

1. avatar Jason says:

The guy who invented them called them silencers. I think he gets naming rights.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Got me there.

Haven’t seen one that ever actually silences the gun, though, so
        ‘suppressor’ to me is the more accurate term. A muffler muffles,
        a suppressor suppresses, and a silencer is that thing in the movies
        that eliminates sound.

But I live in California, so I can’t have either one…

1. avatar Aharon says:

We must invent the Quieter.

8. avatar Aaron says:

Excellent news… puts a whole new perspective on “be vewy vewy qwuiet, I’m hunting…”

9. avatar KYgunner says:

But… But… I thought only assassins and mass murderers were the only ones who use these EVIL black cylinders??!! Just think about all the murderous rampages committed with a suppressor!!! Oh the humanity!!! Texas is going to have a mass murder every day with this law! Wait… what’s that you say? The sky isn’t falling? Oh. Never mind then.

Happy shooting Texans. Hope this is a step towards having suppressors not having a $200 “Tax Stamp” and a price drop. I’d love to suppress my Sig.

10. avatar GS650G says:

Now we can get in touch with our inner Jason Bourne

11. avatar Mark Horning says:

Governor Brewer apparently signed our law in AZ today. AZ laws take effect 90 days after the legislature adjourns, so usually early to mid July.

12. avatar Elizabeth says:

Really? You need a silencer to kill animals? Crock of shit- that doesn’t even sound natural. Why should hunting be made easy. Shouldn’t it be more challenging?

1. avatar Jeff O. says:

Well, if you’re a good shot, all you need is one round, Bambi wil never hear it. Why waste your hearing on that?

2. avatar Chad says:

A silencer in no way makes hunting easier or gives advantage to the hunter. The term “silencer” is misleading. On a high power hunting rifle, a silencer will reduce the muzzle blast to around the same sound as a .22 pistol being fired. If you miss, the animal is still going to hear the gunshot and run away. The advantage of the silencer is hearing protection for the hunter.

3. avatar Mark Smith says:

If you view losing your hearing as ‘challenge’ you enjoy, I have no desire to hunt with you. You can hunt with hearing protection in, but you may as well hunt wearing a blindfold too at that rate.

Go saw the muffler off your car. With your reasoning, it’s obviously better off that way.

13. avatar Lt Dave says:

OMG OMG OMG. Suppressors are coming!!

Here is Oregon, they are not prohibited, hence used. No problem.

In Europe, rifle purchases are “approved” as long as a suppressor is included. I guess one step backwards (gun approval needed) can be countered by a step forward (suppressors encouraged).