What Could Possibly Go Wrong: DORYU Pistol Camera

The real men of genius behind the Kill Shot rifle camera are only the latest in a long line of shadetree image capturing innovators who – for some reason – concluded that the photographic process would be somehow improved by hybridizing cameras and guns. But Tyler Reidhead informs us that, perhaps to no one’s surprise, our Japanese friends appear to have been the pioneers in these grisly photo-Frankenstinian experiments. To wit: the DORYU Pistol Camera. Intended to be used by police in documenting criminal activity, this movie making marvel was mighty gun-like. Pulling the trigger didn’t just trip the shutter, it also fired off bullet-sized flash bulbs, six of which resided in the gun’s magazine and were ejected like a spent casing once used. For the curious (or chronically bored) there’s more background on this photographic wonder than anyone who doesn’t suffer from OCD could ever want here.

comments

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Looks like something out of an old spy movie. Ans something I wouldn’t want to have to use publically, for fear of being shot by the “authorities”,

2. avatar Ben Eli says:

Y’all know the KGB developed a gun that looked like a camera right?

I wonder how many TTAGers have ever used a camera that required flash bulbs.

1. avatar NCG says:

I have a 40s vintage Kodak Brownie in the box with a bunch of bulbs for the flash, and the little shield to protect the subject in the event that the flash explodes. I’ll have to rig up a battery, and load some 120 film on to 620 spools…tried to sell the whole deal on ebay, but no takers.

4. avatar irock350 says:

A Doryu Pistol Camera sold for $24,000 at auction. Personally I want a Leica Telephoto Assembly Camera. I think that a stock would improve my aim and make for better pictures.

1. avatar NCG says:

Those laser speed trap guns the OHP use look an awful lot like an MP-5 or similar from half a mile a way. Gives me a little shiver every time, and I don’t speed.

5. avatar NCG says:

This is such an “only in Japan” thing. I’m a sucker for anything that says “Nippon Kogaku” on it.

6. avatar Dave in AZ says:

“Intended to be used by police in documenting criminal activity…”

What’s wrong with a regular camera for that purpose?

1. avatar NCG says:

Dude, a regular camera doesn’t look like a gun. Duh.