If Only Assault Knives Weren’t So Easily Available

“A man armed with three knives stabbed four people at a downtown office building Wednesday afternoon and was shot by a police officer as he tried to leave, authorities said,” cbsnews.com reports. This senseless tragedy in Columbus, Ohio only serves to illustrate the lax knife control laws in this country. In fact anyone, anyone can waltz into a Target store and, after only a minute or two in the cutlery section, he’s able walk out of the store with God knows how many knives. Really, who needs to buy more than one knife a month? “A knife was recovered inside the school, and two knives were found near the suspect outside after he had been shot (by police).” The building in question houses offices of the state attorney general and is a designated gun free zone. It’s a good thing, too, or someone could have really been hurt.

comments

1. avatar Aharon says:

matt,

Thanks for those pics. I’m going to forward those onward.

1. avatar Eric says:

You joke, but the knife laws in CA, Chicago and NYC are incredibly restrictive.

1. avatar Aharon says:

In Portland, TriMet the People’s Transit System, has laws/rules that limit knives to foldout pocket types 3.5″. I think scissors and screwdrivers must therefore be considered illegal to transport on TriMet.

2. avatar Rob in Cali says:

How are they restrictive here? Knife carry laws here are pretty lax. The only thing we cant own are autos and butterflies.

1. avatar Eric says:

I thought any locking folder over 2 inches or fixed blades were forbidden? Correct me if I am wrong.

1. avatar Chas says:

I can’t find where the Chicago knife laws say anything about locking folders. It simply says any knife 2.5″ or under that isn’t spring-released is legal for anyone over 18 years old to carry.

2. avatar Mark says:

California is simple, no blade length problems. 2.5″ or 7″ folder you can conceal. Fixed blades can not be concealed. So yes, the pocket sword otherwise known as a Espada XL from cold steel is perfectly legal to carry concealed in CA. However a marine kabar is illegal to conceal. Fixed blades are not illegal to carry just to concealed carry. Assisted opening blades are good to go also, as long as it’s not a switch blade. Definition of switch blade is there’s a button on the handle. My Kershaw blur is damn quick at opening.

1. avatar Eric says:

Sweet. I know what I am carrying next trip to CA then. Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

Let me return the favor by telling you Arizona law: Carry any knife you want any way you want;)

3. avatar thatoneguy says:

That’s when you skirt those laws by loading up on pointy sticks.

1. avatar APBTFan says:

“Like someone who attacks you with a pointed stick!” – Eric Idle.

2. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

I’m shocked. Weren’t we told that gun-free zones were the panacea? That we are safer when we are disarmed? That the police will protect us and therefore there is no reason to protect ourselves? Really, I’m shocked.

Really.

3. avatar Josh says:

See your point. Don’t think the snarky tone is the best way to make it. Counterproductive actually.

1. avatar BC; MT says:

Welcome to TTAG! Please enjoy your stay.

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

LOL, this.

1. avatar GS650G says:

we pride ourselves on sarcastic, caustic tone around here/

we pride ourselves on sarcastic, caustic tone around here . . .

. . . and we do it better than anybody.

3. avatar Derek says:

I see what you did there…

4. avatar Spud says:

Shake hands with your new “Knife-co” kitchen utensil approved “safe” by KCI (knife control incorporated) and guarenteed not to cut through any type of animal flesh. safe and functional for soy based meat only. Isnt it time you made the change? Isnt it time you considered the safety of your “children”?

5. avatar IdahoPete says:

Britain banned private ownership of handguns and most long guns, with the anti- self-defense dweebs yapping about “the gun culture”, and how they had to shut down the violence by banning guns.

Now the Brits are yapping about “the knife culture”, since that is the weapon of choice for the younger hoods who can’t afford the price of smuggled guns from the Eurozone. Britain has, I believe, restricted pointy sharp knives over a certain length (which has really annoyed their better chefs.)

Next will be “the screw driver culture”, and then “the pointy stick culture”. And eventually, the “rocks larger than 1.56cm culture”.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

…eventually, the “rocks larger than 1.56cm culture”.

Heh, I can just see it. Every cop carries a 3/4″ ID washer, and if your rock doesn’t fall through, it’s straight to the pokey for you!

6. avatar Derek says:

Gyyaaawwwwd…. that sucked yesterday. They shut down like 4 city blocks…. I still have no idea why.

Anyway, I wonder how many people in that little ‘Ivory Tower’ will have different opinions about them not being allowed to protect themselves and how the police will always be there to protect them… But at the same time, the perp was taken down a cop. Albeit long after he’d stabbed everyone he went there to stab, but there it is. Just throwin that one out there to half court.

7. avatar bontai Joe says:

Having grown up in and unfortunately still working in the People’s Demokratik Republik of New Jersey, where the sale of sling shots is prohibited, BB guns are classified as firearms, I can see knife restrictions easily being proposed as future legislation. It’s already against the law to carry a knife on an airplane, or in a govt. building. Speaking of government buildings, if this building housed the attorney general’s office, why didn’t they have the usual security guard and metal detectors? Even my local podunk PA village courthouse has metal detectors and a security guard.

8. avatar Darren says:

Hey, let’s not leave Massachusetts out of the knife stupidity

Read the text of the ordinance, if you need to induce vomiting

9. avatar Sig says:

I have a different carry knife specifically for going to King County and/or Seattle. My concealed license makes my pistol legal, but a knife with > 3″ blade is a whole new set of misdemeanors.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Seattle is 3.5 inches or less. I don’t know of any standards for King County itself. We really need knife law preemption. It’s ridiculous that a knife should become legal or illegal depending on which end of a ferry ride you’re on.

10. avatar Aharon says:

My plans are to buy several survival knives/cutting tools this year.

This one below isn’t a specific survival knife (though it could do in a pinch) yet I think I’ll get it too.
    Johnson Adventure Baconmaker

1. avatar nastyned says:

K-Bar is a nice knife but you are paying over half of the price for the name alone. I as a knife collector have found several surgical steel knifes on eBay for $15.99 that have been proven through heavy use to be as good as a K-Bar. I know good steel because I spent years as a meat cutter and have a good training in quality steel and I also shave with a straight razor. If you must have the best in the world then get one from Solgen Germany. It will hold the best edge.

1. avatar Aharon says:

Thank you for your insights. I’ll look into Solgen.

2. avatar Phydeaux says:

Adventure Baconmaker… I really like that!

1. avatar Aharon says:

I haven’t yet found any reviews by knife professionals or semi-pro blade men of the relatively new Baconmaker. Below is an interview with the designer of the Johnson Adventure Blades that are produced by Ka-Bar.

Shot Show 2011 Johnson Adventure Blades Ka-Bar Interview, Equip 2 Endure

11. avatar nastyned says:

I do not need a knife, go ahead and out law them but as you do make sure you outlaw sharp sticks, broken glass, trees where the sharp stick came from, the sand where the broken glass was made from. As I sit here thinking just how dangerous wild animals with sharp horns and birds with dangerous beaks and roses with their sharp thorns I can’t get over just how stupid this whole things sounds. Grow up liberals life is dangerous. Are you going to try and outlaw food because someone might choke to death? I left something out, that vile and most dangerous WATER cause you might slip down and drown in a mud hole so you need to ban it also. What I am saying is that I do not need a knife,gun ,or sharp stick to kill someone all I need is my hands or do you want to cut them off so you will fell safer? GET OVER IT FOOLS!!!!!

1. avatar Sebudei says:

Dihydrogen is a killer lying in wait for our CHILDREN. Support the ban!

2. avatar Aharon says:

“Are you going to try and outlaw food because someone might choke to death?”

I think the gubermint has passed laws on the books (not yet enforced) making it a crime to sell or just give produce from your own garden to your neighbor since that person ‘might’ have a medical condition which could make your lettuce with the fertilizer you used dangerous to their health and safety. Go figure. BTW, two-thirds have made collecting rainwater on your own land illegal too. This big police-nanny state government is the birth child of the Democrats and Republicans.

12. avatar nastyned says:

Just a passing thought, if just one person there had a gun this could have been stopped as fast as it takes to squeeze off one round to the head.

13. avatar Leo Atrox says:

“A knife was recovered inside the school …” Wait. A school was stabbed, too?

ETA: I read the article, and there was a privately run school in the office building. (I wonder what kind of school …)

1. avatar Derek says:

It was the admin office for some small local college.

14. avatar APBTFan says:

That shitbag McVeigh killed 168 and wounded over 800 with nary a gun or knife. These various bans are stupid and pointless. Unless we amputate arms and legs at birth people will always find a way kill.

1. avatar Peter says:

What if they headbutt you to death?

1. avatar APBTFan says:

Ha ha! Armor piercing spitwads may be an issue too.

15. avatar Tom says:

After the knives, they will becoming after the forks…

1. avatar APBTFan says:

Then the Sporks.

16. avatar Mark N. says:

Where does anybody get the idea of what knife length is “safe”? Why is a 3.5″ knife unreasonably dangerous buut a three incher is not? Who makes up this stuff?

1. avatar APBTFan says:

Same reason pistol grips, bayonet lugs and flash hiders are somehow more dangerous.

17. avatar LC Judas says:

You can be charged with “Assault with a deadly weapon” holding a punch can opener. Knife length does not dictate this and people have been killed and maimed with anything you can name. The odds of you taking a $500 Benchmade work of art and killing someone is just as likely as the odds of you killing someone with the folding knife I bought for $1 at Save-A-Lot. (which I actually bought just because it was a buck)

1. avatar Keith Holder says:

Delivered at a straight point between the breasts it takes only 3 inches to fatally penetrate the heart so all these lengths are inadequate unless you say have a one inch knife which in all honestly is like poking someone with a finger nail

18. avatar Keith holder says: