Gun-Grabbing Wal Mart Customer Thwarted by Trigger Locks

Intrepid Wal Mart gun counter chronicler Seth Hendrix probably would have needed sedation (not to mention a clean pair of shorts) if he’d had the misfortune to have been filming one of his hysterical videos at the Muskogee, Oklahoma Wally World on Thursday evening. It isn’t known exactly what Everett Rowlands was trying to do, but it wasn’t anything good. He managed to break open the store’s rifle display, grab an M-4 (a machine gun!, a machine gun!) and tried to load it . . .

As muskogeephoenix.com details, the 911 calls tell the story:

“There were some loud bangs and now he’s got a gun and he’s telling people to ‘stay back, stay way back,’” one customer told a 911 dispatcher. “He’s back here in sporting goods, I think.

“It looked like he had a gun and he was trying to load it.”

But Wal Mart, like so many gun sellers, keeps trigger locks on all of their display guns. That gave a store employee a chance to wrestle the evil black assault weapon modern sporting rifle away from Rowlands. Unfortunately, that didn’t slow him down much. He then turned his attention to a shiny new Mini-14.

Seconds later, screaming can be heard in the background and the caller says the disturbance has continued.

“Uh oh, he’s doing it again it looks like,” the caller said. “They’re still having a problem here. Need to get someone here quick, he’s still breaking into cabinets trying to get guns. Need to get someone here now.”

But just like the M-4, the Ruger had a trigger lock on it, too. The store was evacuated without incident while Rowlands hid in a storage room before police moved in and arrested him. It’s possible that he was just distraught over a hair experiment gone tragically wrong, but the investigation is ongoing. Rest assured that if Rowlands’ motivations are ever revealed, TTAG will bring you the news.

comments

1. avatar DaveL says:

Wrestle?

Let me guess – Walmart doesn’t allow their employees to carry guns. Because common sense says there ought to be an obvious hazard in trying to rob someone who’s selling guns.

1. avatar Levi B says:

Gun shop owners and employees around me ALWAYS carry.

2. avatar Aharon says:

At first glance, I thought it was a picture of Nancy Pelosi.

1. avatar Leo Atrox says:

LOL. That’s funny, but I don’t think this guy is THAT ugly.

2. avatar Frank Dioguardi Sr. says:

I can see insulting the guy… But thats going overboard!

3. avatar Johnny says:

See if Walmart didn’t sell machine guns, all those lives would have been saved.

Oh wait…

His motivation to grab a gun is obvious. His motivation behind trying to look like a Mohican with brain damage? Not so much.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

That would be a Huron. The Mohicans didn’t shave their heads. Still funny though.

@Mark N

Actually, this guy’s not a Huron, he’s a Moron. He probably comes from a large family of Morons, too.

You know the Moron tribe. They’re closely related to the Imbeciles.

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

The Imbeciles called. They say they’ll sue for defamation if you don’t retract your comment regarding their close relation to the Morons.

2. avatar Buuurr says:

Antler to the face *bhish*

2. avatar Tom says:

Well, it does look like he does have brain damage.

Wouldn’t he need a brain for that?

5. avatar spymyeyes says:

Well, just by looking at this freak you can tell he is not a meth head because he is too fat for that.

I would guess that after he comes down off of whatever drug he was doing he will find a nice little bit if time to rehab himself before he goes to prison.

Once he is in prison he can resume his drug habit.

6. avatar bontai Joe says:

I just hope that none of his 3 functioning brain cells were damaged during the arrest. That photo shows a person that definitely should not be allowed to breed in my humble opinion.

7. avatar "Dr."Dave says:

This is probably the first time a trigger lock has saved anyones life.

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

+1. Right on.

8. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Portrait of the Modern American Citizen. Just looking at that dude gives me the willies. A right thinking person, considering that this event took place in the sporting goods section, should have grabbed a baseball bat, without a trigger lock, of course, and swung for the bleachers, thereby sending this Mhuron to his just rewards, and saving the taxpayers a whole lot of expensive inconvenience.

1. avatar Joe C. says:

Yup.

9. avatar gemalo says:

Notwithstanding the stupidity of the attempted robbery, this maroon is a definite candidate for those ‘People of Walmart’ postings.

10. avatar GMAN says:

Are there not baseball bats in the sporting goods section? Once someone realized that the trigger locks were working…a Spalding to the side of the head would have calmed things down significantly.

Why bother?

1. avatar GMAN says:

Yeah, your probably right. Not like you’ll be standing around watching.

2. avatar M&P 9 L says:

Anyone who does pick up a bat and slugs him will probably be held for attempted manslaughter……didnt think of that didya?

1. avatar soccerdad says:

sad but true.

2. avatar GMAN says:

You think? I don’t know. You smack a guy who’s trying to steal, load, and possibly shoot up a Wal-Mart full of people… I’m not sure a prosecutor would charge you nor a jury convict you.

Granted, I’m not gonna charge him like some hero. But if i was backed into some corner…with my kids…and had a chance to knock him out as I ran out…I’d definitely consider it.

3. avatar okto says:

You don’t know much about Oklahoma, do you? 🙂

11. avatar Danny McBee says:

I go to school at the college down the road from that Walmart. I almost stopped in for a little bit to see my friends working there.
    They sent me messages as it went down.

12. avatar GS650G says:

Some people just belong in jail for their own protection.

13. avatar Rick says:

Bad hair day?

14. avatar Matt G. says:

I just want to reasure everyone that no one else in Oklahoma looks like this guy. He’s a one-off.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Glad to hear that, but I think this guy has cousins in my neck of the woods.

15. avatar better late than never says:

getting to this a bit late, but one obvious UN-truth that the author shared is this:

“He managed to break open the store’s rifle display, grab an M-4 (a machine gun!, a machine gun!)”

while there are certainly M-4 rifles that can fire full auto (which is what I presume he means by “machine gun”) there is absolutely no way that they would be sold at a Wal Mart due to the need for the extra paperwork, tax stamps etc to satisfy the requirements of the National Firearms Act which is the law that regulates “machine guns”.