Pakistan Going Hog Wild

Hunters often talk about their critical role in controlling wild animal populations. Our man Leghorn recently did his part for the Texas eco-system, popping his hunting cherry (bad metaphor but there you go) by shooting hogs with Tyler. I’m not sure it matters much, but the boys ate what they killed. Cut to Pakistan, which also has a wild boar problem. “Each night, packs of the hairy beasts emerge from Islamabad’s river beds, parks and scrubland to rifle through the overflowing rubbish bins of its mostly wealthy residents and growing number of restaurants,” the AP reports. And this is a problem because . . .

The animals can weigh up to 180 to 220 pounds (80 kilograms to 100 kilograms) and have razor sharp teeth. Adult males come armed with upward curving tusks. While they scurry off at the site of humans, they charge when cornered, alarmed or wounded and are a major cause of traffic accidents in the city.

OK, so there are plenty of armed citizens thereabouts. Why not just let the locals blast the beasts? For one thing, the Islamic religion forbids local residents from eating pork. For another . . .

City authorities are laying poison and have announced free hunting permits to cull the wild pigs’ numbers. But to make sure [pig hunting] residents don’t get caught in the crossfire, they only allow shotguns. There have been few takers. Hunters are wary of getting arrested by the police, or even worse — getting mistaken for a terrorist.

So, if you’re a Pakistani hunter targeting wild boar in an urban environment use a Benelli M2; the military and police will know you’re A-OK. Meanwhile, Pakistan’s pork problem opens an opportunity for U.S. hunters who don’t rely on that EWYK (Eat What You Kill) defense for their predilection for killing four-legged swine.

The animal’s abundance has made the country a prime spot for boar hunting, said Qaiser Khan, who leads hunting parties to Pakistan, including teams of foreigners who like to shoot hogs. He said that teams must sign a contract stipulating they will not cook the meat or ask staff to so.

Nick? Tyler? Anyone? Bueller?

comments

1. avatar Jeff says:

Great – I could go to a nutty part of the world and get blown up by a drone / terrorist hiding from a drone, and not even get to eat the pork I earned, or I could got to Texas / FL / CA and do whatever I want…

2. avatar Aharon says:

I’ll pass going to Pakistan. I like my head connected to my neck. Too bad these bad boy pigs don’t still exist:

1. avatar Gunuck says:

Aharon, Google search ‘Hogzilla’.

1. avatar Aharon says:

If a hybrid’s meat is as good as ribs, ham, and bacon from a pig that kill would feed a family for a long time.

3. avatar Aharon says:

BTW, speaking of “Hog Wild” and since there appear to be several TTAG readers living in the Portland area, the popular BBQ food cart called “Hog Wild” recently opened their first restaurant in the same parking lot as shared with Dick’s Sporting Goods off 82nd Avenue near Johnson Creek. Across the street is the Sportsman’s Warehouse or whatever name they now use. James who works in their gun department really knows guns. Cody in their knife department gave me some good advice on knives.

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

I’ve bought ammo there many times with Joe Grine, on the way to our favorite Estacada shooting quarries.

1. avatar Aharon says:

If you have any suggestion for where to go shoot in the Estacada area let me know. Lately, I’ve had my eye on the Henry .22 Lever-Action Octagon Frontier model and the Henry Pump Action Octagon.

There are a lot of pigs in Pakistan that should be shot. None of them have four legs.

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

They do once you make them crawl.

2. avatar Charlie says:

By “Pakistan” you meant “The American Military Industrial Complex” right?

5. avatar bontai Joe says:

A friend of mine that has traveled the world advised me NEVER go to a country where the only english they speak is “Die Yankee dog!” So I think I’ll pass on this hog hunting safari.

6. avatar miforest says:

finaly . a common intrest to unite the disparate cultures, shooting pigs.

7. avatar MadDawg J says:

Maybe if I got a UN convey to travel in for protection. However we have many soldiers in that part of the world that need to keep up on their live fire drills plus attach helicopter pilots that could use some range time. Sounds like a win win to me.

8. avatar Tom says:

Maybe we could kill the pigs off with a Predator Drone?
    Maybe the Taliban could kill the pigs?
    Maybe India could just nuke Pakistan?

1. avatar Phil B says:

Nuke Pakistan? Now THAT would be a hog roast to see …

9. avatar Philthegardener says:

Perhaps a B-52 strike of the whole northwest frontier on the pretense of annihilating the damn pig problem is in order

10. avatar Nighthawk says:

Go to Pakistan to bag some ugly, hairy, stinky pigs, come back with a dozen taliban heads to mount on the wall.

11. avatar Robert says:

Screw killing their hogs! I say capture as many as we can and send them to Iraq, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and everyelse that pig is abhorred!