New York Criminals Bringing .9mm Guns to Vermont

TTAG has been right on top of this one: an outbreak of violent crime perpetuated by Big Apple bad guys wielding .9mm handguns. [Click here and here for previous coverage.] Eagle-eyed TTAG commentator slacker spotted a disturbing new development in this story of micro-caliber misegos. “Three New Yorkers are behind bars this morning after police found thousands of dollars of drugs and weapons in their Rutland hotel room,” wcax.com reports . . .

State police executed a search warrant inside a room at the Holiday Inn and found more than 80 grams of cocaine, 150 bags of heroin, 27 grams of pot, a .9 mm handgun, and more than $3,000 in cash. 32-year old Quincy Collins and 32-year old Tiante Maurice Branch both of Troy, New York and 32-year-old Thaniya William from Bronx, New York are all being lodged at the Marble Valley Corrections Facility and are due in court later today.

Don’t forget: you heard it here first.

comments

1. avatar CA says:

I can only wonder if this surge in popularity of the “.9mm” cartridge has anything to do with high ammo prices.

2. avatar Dave says:

Vermont is an open carry state with the nation’s most liberal handgun laws, and the lowest or second-lowest gun homicide rate in the US. We’re in the bottom five for all gun crime per capita and damn it we want to keep it that way. That’s why this is meaningful, because crap like this has the potential to screw up a good thing.

Vermont is also on the route for narcotics between Canada and the East Coast, so it’s an ongoing problem.

3. avatar Sid says:

I don’t want to contribute to the crime community, but I would be an idiot not to capitalize on a good business opportunity.

ATTENTION ALL BAD GUYS: I can get you guns much larger and more lethal than .9mm. I have at my disposal an almost endless supply of .177 cal weapons. That is 4.5mm compared to your tiny .9mm handguns. And don’t think it is just a weapon. Some come with a primitive version of GPS located in the stock (ask for the Range Model when ordering). The stated capacity is 650 rounds.

No waiting period or background check required.

1. avatar Dr. Mike says:

Mine has a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.

4. avatar TL says:

Go ahead and scoff, it’s all about shot placement… 😉

5. avatar ready, fire,aim says:

go figure…… he look like a law abiding citizen in that mugshot don’t he?

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

What? Which feature are you using: his race, his beard, or his hair?

I’d like to know your criteria for identifying law-abiding people based on their appearance.

1. avatar Totenglocke says:

I think he’s referring to the “I’m going to kill you, rape your corpse, then steal your wallet” expression on the guy’s face.

1. avatar ready, fire,aim says:

2. avatar MadDawg J says:

I’m pretty sure I’d be more worried if he looked excited about having his mugshot taken. It’s not his Senior portrait, he shouldn’t look happy or pleased.

2. avatar Darren says:

I would tend to go with “It’s a mugshot, so…”

2. avatar Matt Gregg says:

Yeah I’d like to see you explain this too.

3. avatar Aharon says:

The feature is his white t-shirt. It’s a giveaway.

6. avatar Ropingdown says:

It’s a very tough economy, and this month is peak season for needy New Yorkers selling drugs to skiers at major Vermont resorts. It’s called “exports,” which everyone seems to be in favor of. Naturally, these dealers need guns along, just like a Brinks truck carrying big cash. No surprise. Would you carry 120,000 K without some protection? Don’t kid yourself, the skiers are a tough physical crowd. But still, carrying a .9 mm says “I don’t really want to hurt anyone,” doesn’t it? It’ll all be over in 1.5 months when the snow melts. Relax.

7. avatar AZRon says:

Even worse, I was shopping online for some ammunition the other day and came across some .12 ga shotgun shells. This from alleged gun people.

8. avatar Richard Jensen says:

Apparently you can get .9mm refills (reloads?) from a variety of vendors including MontBlanc….

9. avatar Joel says:

my mechanical pencil uses .9mm. will the antis be complaining about those soon?

1. avatar Darren says:

I usually go with 0.5mm or 0.7mm. More concealable.

2. avatar Ropingdown says:

You carry a .9 mm? Are there kids in the house?

Talk about a mouse gun. I used to keep three hundred .9mm Micro Uzis in my GunVault Mini pistol safe.

1. avatar Aharon says:

I used to keep cheese and peanut butter in the refrigerator to catch mice or eat for a midnight snack.

1. avatar Bat Sh*t Crazy says:

Must have taken forever to teach the mice how to open the door.

2. avatar RuffRidr says:

You eat mice for a midnight snack? Yuck!

11. avatar The Stig says:

I shop at Staples for all my .9mm reloading needs. Finest lead around.

Edit: Damn. Someone beat me to it already.

12. avatar Todd AF Vet says:

RF

I love it “TTAG commentator slacker” Keep it up.

13. avatar Sean Guerin says:

Alright seriously, is there really such a thing as a .9mm cartridge or am I reading it wrong and it should say 9X19mm. No way would a gangster carry something that freaking tiny

1. avatar CarlosT says:

No, there’s no such thing as a .9mm cartridge, but there is such a thing as an ignorant journalist. No, really.

Anyway, there have been a rash of stories coming out of the New York area recently that have mentioned “.9mm handguns”. Actually, my favorite is when people screw up the other way, and think that all calibers are given in millimeters and talk about investigators looking for murder weapons chambered in 40mm or 45mm. I just try to imagine a gangbanger stuffing a Bofors gun Mexican style down his pants.

1. avatar Phil B says:

Is that a Bofors in your pants or are you just pleased to see me?
        People need to know these things …