Astros Remove Colt .45 from Colt “Throwback” Jersey

“The Astros are marking their 50th anniversary this season, so they’ll be wearing an assortment of throwback uniforms for Friday home games,” espn.go.com reports. “That includes the uniform of the Houston Colt .45s, which was the team’s name for the first three years of the franchise’s existence.” With a slight modification. Astros’ authentication manager Mike Acosta told a fan that “During our discussion with Major League Baseball, it was expressed to us that we could wear the uniform as long as the pistol was removed. We realize this changes the original design, but we still want to honor the Colt .45s. We are also under an obligation to follow Major League Baseball’s requests.” ESPN’s Paul Lukas reckons “It’s nice that MLB doesn’t want kids exposed to handgun imagery, but putting the kibosh on the original Colts jersey feels like a bit much.” Outrage much? Apparently not.

About Robert Farago

27 Responses to Astros Remove Colt .45 from Colt “Throwback” Jersey

1. avatarSCS says:

Freaking PC Weenies.

2. avatarMr. Lion says:

Yeah, you sure wouldn’t want kids exposed to handgun imagry. That’s why every FPS video game on the planet replaces them with fluffy bunnies.

Oh, wait.

• avatarSilver says:

Seriously, if anyone thinks a kid is going to get ideas from a JERSEY, they’re even more insane than the usual PC thugs.

3. avatarAharon says:

MLB has gone PC on many issues from this gun on jersey reaction to political causes supporting illegal aliens. The MLB has lost touch with the American people which is not a good sign for them considering what baseball means to many Americans.

“What do you think?”
    “Should have kept the pistol. It’s a part of the team’s heritage (97%, 2,341 Votes)
    Glad it has been removed. It’s a inappropriate symbol of violence (3%, 75 Votes)
    Total Voters: 2,416″

4. avatarRalph says:

Who cares? The Colt 45s sucked anyway.

5. avatarJoseph says:

fuck

6. avatarLevi B says:

Single action revolvers, the current gun of choice for gun crimes worldwide. Thank goodness we’re not exposing children to these terrible images. I mean, it could even give a parent the chance to remind their kid about gun safety and we can’t have that! Guns have to remain as mysterious as possible to children so that when a child does find one, their curiosity overrides everything else and they become a statistic to bolster my side of the issue.

Or, you know, stop pretending anybody at all watches baseball.

7. avatarCorey says:

the pussification of america

8. avatarready,fire,aim says:

well at least we now know where MLB stands on gun control whats next the changing of the teams names? oh no you can’t go by the name of the texas rangers anymore because that is the same group as gun violence you can’t be called the cleveland indians any more because the indians used guns in the wild west..you cant be called the pirates any more because they had cannons……give me a break

9. avatarStephen says:

Alcohol causes thousands of deaths each year. Maybe MLB should stop selling beer at their games.

10. avatarkarlb says:

Outraged? Really? I think it is stupid, but how is it a source of outrage? The real outrage and “pussicication” is that the DH is still used in the AL. Their business–their choices.

11. avatarTwinkie says:

It’s nice, eh? Thank goodness the kids won’t see any guns now that this has been dealt with.

12. avatarSilver says:

I demand that the Miami Marlins mascot be banned; that spear-like snout is too much like a knife, and I don’t want my kids exposed to bladed weapon imagery. It’s just common sense.

13. avatarAndrew says:

so the old team name was the Colt .45s.

So the gun gets left on and in the eyes of MLB glorifies violence. Can’t have that now can we…
    Take the gun off and glorify alcoholism?

Interesting philosophy MLB.

14. avatarJohnny says:

Let’s just change history to call them to Colts and that their logo was a Bucking Colt. Actually, that’s a little too aggressive, let’s change it to the Houston Smily Ponies.

15. avatarGraybeard says:

FWIW – this may be an issue with Colt.

The old Colt .45′s had to change their name because of a suit by….. Colt.

I saw the old Colt .45′s in the Buffalo stadium back in the early 1960s. I was a kid, and enjoyed the game even though it got rained out. I was quite disappointed when Colt made them take the name off.

If this is not an issue with Colt itself, but a fear-of-guns by some dummy, that’s another deal. But I do know there was more to the story way back when.

• avatarTexasMom says:

I agree, and I, too, watched the Colt.45s at the old Buff Stadium.

If it’s not an issue with Colt Firearms, then it’s the usual p.c. garbage we don’t speak out about in our country!

16. This story makes me want to vomit. Let’s just take a giant eraser to American history and get it over with.

17. avatarGS650G says:

So how many lives do they think this will save? That is the final justification for this sort of thing nowadays.

18. avatarChad says:

Good job MLB. Let’s remove the revolver, but don’t you dare pull any of those beer commercials or cigarette ads from the stadium! Who kills and/or damages more families every year, handguns or alcohol?

19. avatarEthanB says:

I grew up in Houston, back when there was still an Astrodome and we were still bitter that Nolan Ryan got traded to the Rangers. Admission to the “cheap seats” was still cheap, and I spent a lot of summer days watching the home team. I remember going to the game on a “freebie” cap day where they were giving away throwback “.45″ caps. I wore that cap out.

Nostalgia aside, I think that the original design is a classic that shouldn’t be messed with. Stating the obvious, probablly.

20. They’re going to wear the original jerseys. I already bought my Joe Morgan authentic and will be 1st row 1st base line. (will be wearing my NRA cap too!!!)

21. avatarDre' says:

They are wearing the original jerseys, with the AK-47 on it!!! (to the ‘lamestream media’, all firearms are AK47′s) I already bought my tickets, will be on the first row, 1st base line. (Will be wearing my NRA cap, too)

22. avatarDre' says:

They are wearing the originals with the AK47 on it!!! (all guns are AK47′s to the lamestream media. I got my ticket on the first row!! Got my Joe Morgan authentic jersey from Ebay. Will be wearing my NRA cap as well.