Quote of the Day: Decaf with an Extra Shot Edition

“Starbucks has said it is good business to provide a safe environment for all its partners (employees). Banning guns is, indeed, good business. There are 14 million people in the United States – victims of gun violence and their families and friends – who are looking forward to saying, ‘Thanks, Starbucks, I’d like a latte please!’ Until that great day dawns, a lot of us will be saying “no thanks” to Starbucks stores and products.” – from an open letter to Starbucks from the Fellowship of Reconciliation.

comments

1. avatar Low Budget Dave says:

That is their right. We defend rights, even if we don’t agree.

2. avatar Chas says:

Starbucks doesn’t have a “gun policy”, as the letter states. They do have an “obey the law” policy.

Why can’t gun haters get their facts straight?

1. avatar Charles says:

They certainly could if they wanted to.

2. avatar HSR47 says:

Because that would require acting on the basis of facts, rather than emotion, which destroys their argument.

3. avatar twency says:

No, there’s no law which obligates them to allow gun carriers into their cafes in most states (including mine) so they aren’t “obeying” the law. They simply are allowing gun carriers in. And good for them for doing so.

1. avatar Chas says:

That isn’t what I said.

3. avatar John says:

There’s no need for guns IN Starbucks. Just wait outside. “The Sheep” have to come out sometime, right?

4. avatar Pat Carver says:

I sent Starbuck this message and was sent back the reply you see below. While I am sure most of this is boilerplate, it appears that this was indeed a personal reply. My estimation of the corporation has improved.

Subject: corporate social responsibility
    Just a short note to thank you for not restricting second amendment rights in places where concealed carry is allowed. Thank you for resisting the demands of those who would have deny the rights of law abiding citizens who choose to discreetly carry a firearm for self defense. I intend on making a special point of making a purchase in one of your stores on Feb 14 to help make up for those who would boycott your business on that day.Thanks again. Pat Carver

Dear Pat,
    Thank you for contacting Starbucks.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks’ policy on open carry laws. I am truly happy to hear that you support and appreciate our gun policy!
    At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

Hope to see you in our stores on February 14th! Thanks again for your support and have a beautiful day!
    If you have any further questions or concerns that I was unable to address, please feel free to let me know.
    Warm Regards,
    Christina M
    Customer Relations
    Starbucks Coffee Company
    800 STARBUC (782-7282)

5. avatar Joel says:

“banning guns is good for business”

yet another ultimatum with no real proof, just a few feel-good assumptions that make these people feel a little bit better about themselves.

I say, its terrible business. I don’t like Gun-free zones. a lot of other people don’t. VT and Coulmbine were Gun-Free zones, weren’t they? and look how well THAT turned out.

I say, unless you have a metal detector and a private security force to uphold this “gun free zone”, then its useless. it’s a sign, really. hell, just to prove a point, you could walk in concealed-carrying to a gun free zone, sit down, wait around a few minutes, and when you find yourself un-apprehended, then you’d prove that this system of “protection by sign” very wrong.

litrally, all that the “gun free” sign does is make the weak-
    minded people with reason and knowledge juuuust out of their grasp feel better about themselves. you know, the people who like thinking with emotion. like Gun-control proponents.

6. avatar Sam Wright says:

I have a pocket full of Jeffersons, and a sudden desire for a cup of coffee.

7. avatar Chuck says:

Sitting at Starbucks right now. Spent $8, paid in $2 bills. Left a tip of $2 in the jar for all to see. Hope the message is well received.

8. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

Mmmmm. The Starbucks in St. Cloud, MN made a half-decent latte this morning.

1. avatar Gerard says:

Half-decent is as good as you’ll ever get at a Starbucks. Bleah. Why can’t a coffee shop with good coffee attract this attention?

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

I know, I know. Still. Support those who support us, educate those who don’t.

9. avatar Henry Bowman says:

“There are 14 million people in the United States – victims of gun violence and their families and friends – who are looking forward to saying, ‘Thanks, Starbucks, I’d like a latte please!’”

And there’s anywhere from 120 to 150 million gun owners in the United States who say the same thing. So, which policy is actually better for business?

1. avatar Lemming says:

Also, some of those 14 million “crime vicitms” will, like Emily, decide to get a gun.

10. avatar bgryphon says:

I think i was the first to post a rely on the poorly reasoned article. It stayed for about 3 hours before it was seen and removed. They aren’t very keen on dissenting opinions apparently.

11. avatar Mr. Lion says:

Just finished my grande cappuccino. Thanked the staff, who had evidently heard it a few times this morning already. In suburban NY. Yeah, I think we’re winning.

12. avatar Napoleon says:

Thanks for the reminder! I’m on my way now with a stack of deuces.

13. avatar Lemming says:

Just back from Starbucks. It turns out that the new Veranda “blonde roast” is quite good, and much more to my taste than their usual blend.

So thank-you anti-2a folks. Without your impetus I’d never have known this.

BTW, asking for a “tall blonde” is a pretty funny thing for this much married man to be do on 14 Feb.

14. avatar Matt in FL says:

I would be interested to see an estimation, from Starbucks corporate, on the business of this Valentine’s day versus the last two or three. Would there be an uptick? Or a rough estimate of how many stores saw Jefferson activity today, that’d be interesting too.

Not likely to find out, but it’d be neat.

15. avatar Derek says:

Spent $12 at a Starbucks at the Easton shopping center in Columbus Ohio. Paid in $2s and left a $2 tip.

16. avatar rosignol says:

Got my usual this morning, paid with Jeffersons.

The barista commented on the $2. I wonder how many he’s going to see today.

17. avatar Darren says:

Venti White Chocolate Mocha here. Paid $5 for the coffee, left a $2 bill for a tip and told the lady behind the counter that I appreciated their firearms policy.

There isn’t usually a spot in the drawer for $2 bills, so leave it as a tip. I was able to get two $2 bills at the bank this morning, so I’ll be back tomorrow, and again after I manage to find more Jeffersons.

18. avatar John says:

I bought my team a round, $34. And engaged the young ladies behind the counter. Only one of the 3 knew about the boycott. The one that knew stated categorically she didn’t understand the big deal when open carry is allowed in PA, and concealed permitted. So thanks to the SB crew in Bloomfield (in Pgh.)

19. avatar Sam Wright says:

Two Grandes: $8
    Saying that I like SB’s gun policy: Free
    Watching the girl try and figure out where in the till to put $2 bills: Priceless

20. avatar twency says:

I spent a Jefferson (and a Washington, and two Lincolns) in Harrisburg, PA today for a Tall iced latte. A lot of money for a small bitter drink (needed more sweetener, and I think they over-roast their beans), but I enjoyed handing over the 2. It was at a drive-through, and the cashier didn’t bat an eye or make any comment or question. Based on that, I’m guessing mine wasn’t the first she’d seen in the last day or two.

21. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

I did my part on the Downtown Chattanooga location….which is located less than 2 miles from one of the most violent areas in the USA. You are insane if you actually don’t carry around those parts.

22. avatar pcrh says:

Spent 2 $2 bills in Starbucks, was asked by the clerk why I’m paying in $2s. I told him about Starbuck’s policy and the bills were to show support. He had no idea any of this was going on, but appreciated the support. Said he’d seen no other $2s lately.

23. avatar Accur81 says:

Legal concealed carry in Orange County, CA with a venti low carb
    iced white chocolate mocha and a ham sandwich. CA is not completely
    lost. Mostly, but not completely…