The Latest NYC Rage: .9 Millimeter Handguns

“Young Money Cash Money Billionaire artist and Bronx-bred M.C. Cory Gunz [above] was arrested for possession of a .9mm handgun over the weekend,” Shaka Griffith at globalgrind.com reports. “Plain clothes officers pulled him over in a cab he was riding in, searched the rapper’s backpack and discovered the lethal weapon.” Not so lethal, eh Mr. Bond? But seriously, this is the second time we’ve heard about .9mm handguns in less than a week . . .

In our post Saturday Night Special RIP? NY criminologist Eugene O’Donnell was busy talking-up the dangers of the once-obscure micro-caliber. Personally, I don’t care what The City That Never Sleeps considers trendy; I won’t shoot any caliber without .04 in the name.

And speaking of reality divorce, here’s globalgrind’s admonition to Big Apple rappers who want to pack a gat:

Lengthy sentencing is the result of getting popped in New York City with a gun. In NYC, if you are a convicted felon, you cannot carry a firearm. The best thing to do, if you really need to carry a gun, is get a permit. The fees to obtain a handgun license in New York City total about $500.

Sounds like Griffith gave New York City gun laws a Congressional Review. Anyway, good luck with that. Meanwhile, the question must be asked: WWTNT?

comments

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Wow, firing a projectile just over three-hundredths of an inch, huh? Sounds scary.

In a related note, my wife was telling me that she was reading some story someone had written online that had someone investigating a murder committed with a 45mm handgun. I’m not sure there’d be a lot left for forensics to work with in that crime scene.

1. avatar Dorcil Brown says:

No shit!

2. avatar DaveL says:

They might find the hand that was holding the gun…

3. avatar Chaz says:

When a local newspaper wrote “… used a 40mm pistol …” I sent them this link.

1. avatar Xenokilla says:

Ha! I have that in my desktop background rotation!

4. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

45mm you say? That’d hurt the wrist even more than the DoubleTap.

The NYPD has had a dedicated “rap squad,” aimed exclusively at rappers, going back at least to 2004. Because as everybody knows, the Mayor Against Guns Illegally really loves his hip-hop.

3. avatar Joe Grine says:

And I thought my .17 hmr was a bitch to clean. Can only imagine how hard it is to not bend a cleaning rod that is only .9 mm in diameter!

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Bloomberg might have just the tool for the job.

1. avatar Aharon says:

hahahaha

4. avatar Mark N. says:

What I want to know is what kind of probable cause supported all of these searches? This last guy was in a cab, and they searched his backpack–a search that requires a warrant supported by probable cause. What were they doing pulling over and searching the bejezus out of a Maybach? This sounds SO like racial profiling, and even more like politicking.

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

Racial profiling in NYC is the new black.

5. avatar Mark N. says:

Oh, and another thing. Why does this fool think rappers can hire armed guards in New York City–and if they can, why can they hire armed body guards but can’t get a ccw? Doesn’t this guy know you can’t get a concealed permit there–and if he did, would it change his toone?

6. avatar JP in Tennessee says:

My goodness, “.9 millimeter” certainly is small.

7. avatar Greg in Allston says:

I didn’t know that they made dies that could neck down from 0.354″ to 0.0354″. That’s gotta be like a 1.0 grain bullet at maybe 20,000 ft/sec. Whoa…awesome!!

Idiots.

1. avatar Mike OFWG says:

Isn’t it .0355 caliber?

1. avatar Dorcil Brown says:

It’s .355″ for jacketed bullets. Cast usually runs .356″ – .357″ depending on alloy and the particular bore.

2. avatar Greg in Allston says:

1 millimeter = 0.0393700787 inches

x 0.9 = 0.035433″

8. avatar cameron says:

.9mm makes a .22lr look like a 9mm

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Actually, .9mm makes 22LR look like an artillery shell.

9. avatar Don says:

I concealed carry a .9mm mechanical pencil most every day.

-D

1. avatar Dubya Bee says:

I find the .5mm produces a much more satisfactory muzzle velocity.

1. avatar John says:

.7 is where it’s at!

1. avatar NR says:

I used to carry a .7mm until I switched to an all-steel (except for the iridium tip) fountain pen. It’s the 1911 of writing implements.

2. avatar IdahoPete says:

Isn’t that all-steel fountain pen an ARMOR PIERCING COP-KILLER fountain pen? OMG!!!

3. avatar Don says:

This has been my favorite TTAG commenting experience yet!

4. avatar NR says:

I find that a carrying a pen that will leak all over the place if the cap comes off is not unlike carrying a race gun with a hair trigger in condition one.

10. avatar Ropingdown says:

They don’t even know that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. And we expect them to know anything about calibers? That stuff is for their ex-Delta bodyguards to figure out. In NYC what they know is money, yours, and how to get their hands on it. Oh, and art. That’s where they invest your money once it becomes their money. Anybody in NYC that doesn’t understand how to get some of yo’ money is broke, drives a truck, and writes poetry.

1. avatar thatoneguy says:

I think they all headed over to occupy something…

11. avatar BLAMMO says:

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve become immune to the hilarity of nonsensical inaccuracies about guns that appear in most newspaper articles. And it holds true for virtually all subject matter. These people are experts in nothing.

1. avatar MadDawg J says:

I have noticed that my local press thinks all guns fall under one of three categories; “Semi-Automatic Handguns” (anything handheld, including revolvers), “shotguns” (atleast they get those right) and “Automatic Assualt Weapons” (anything larger than a handgun). I guess they have Wikipedia and Google blocked at the office.

1. avatar Tom says:

You are not alone.

12. avatar Matt Gregg says:

Stupid reporters, it would be so much easier for them if they would just remember to consult this chart…

1. avatar Dorcil Brown says:

The same reporters needs to do the same when they call a dog a pit. There’s the American Pit Bull Terrier then there’s these 24,http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.htmlMy main point being the media is beyond sloppy, and I would say intentionally deceitful, when it comes to hot button issues. I own guns and own an APBT and call tell you that the parallels between the media’s demonization of pits and guns is the same. If it seems even remotely close the media calls it good.

1. avatar Dorcil Brown says:

Thanks!

13. avatar ST says:

Is it any wonder that Jeff Cooper hated the .9mm cartridge?

14. avatar Dorcil Brown says:

These ignorant mistakes happen sooo often. It would seem that in the interest of accurate journalism these so-called reporters would take the time to get the facts straight but I guess in the rush to make a salacious article facts aren’t that important. Especially when the target audience won’t know the difference anyway. Textbook case of the blind leading the blind.

The writer has a .125 IQ.

16. avatar junyo says:

Completely off topic, his dad’s a better MC.