New from Taurus: 22PLY and 25PLY Pistols

According to their press release, “Taurus is revolutionizing concealed carry with the 22PLY and 25PLY.” Are they saying that their new polymer (hence PLY) pocket pistols are revolting? Obviously not. These widdy biddy guns are so cuuuuute! What’s more they’re now lighter than a supermodel made of hydrogen. “The Taurus 22PLY and 25PLY in polymer frames make the already light guns into super-light guns weighing only 10.8 oz.” Is it possible? Has Taurus made the first .22 and .25 caliber weapons that are painful to shoot? Still, there’s something to be said for a puny pistol with a “tip-up barrel design for the added convenience of not having to rack the gun before shooting.” I’m not sure what, exactly. Meanwhile . . .

The reverse fish-scale serrations on the slide add to the sleek look of the gun. The extended magazine base and full body contouring provides a larger, improved and more comfortable grip.

The trigger guard is designed for added finger purchases. The magazine release is conveniently located on the trigger guard for quick changes. Taurus is constantly mindful of safety and has incorporated the magazine disconnect and a manual safety on the 22PLY and 25PLY.

A magazine disconnect and a manual safety on a tiny pocket pistol with a big ass mag release? What could possibly go wrong?

If women start buying these in droves and stuffing them into their handbags, we here at TTAG will have failed in our mission to make sure that Americans are effectively tooled-up for a concealed carry crisis. Then again, as a back-up gun, the new Taurii make the venerable Smith & Wesson 642 and triggertastic Ruger LCR look like . . . the correct answer. That is all.

22/25 PLY Specs

• Caliber: .22 LR or .25 ACP
  • Action: DAO
  • Frame: Polymer Frame with Steel inserts
  • Barrel: Tip-Up barrel (for convenience and safety)
  • Finish: Matte Black or Stainless Steel
  • Sights: Front/Rear –Fixed
  • Weight: 10.8 oz.
  • Capacity: 8+1 (.22 LR) or 9+1 (.25 ACP) Overall
  • Length: 4.8” Grips: Polymer

About Robert Farago

26 Responses to New from Taurus: 22PLY and 25PLY Pistols

1. avatarBig John says:

I have the 22ply. *shrug* I got it cheap. It is what it is. Don’t run hollowpoints. The DA trigger is the worst I’ve ever pulled. It rides great in a pocket and it has a real safety. There – you’re all caught up.

• avatarmichael says:

I believe the smaller Beretta’s are single/double action. At least the slightly heavier 3032 Tomcat is. The Taurus models are double action only, if I am not mistaken.

I have heard that the small Tauri are not very reliable, something that is quite necessary with a small caliber pistol.

2. avatarGS650G says:

I had a Taurus PT-25 and sold it. The gun broke on the new owner, cheap metal. I would not trust this thing either.

3. avatarDaveL says:

Am I the only one who saw the picture and thought “PEZ dispenser chambered in .22?”

4. avatarAharon says:

I think that when I was a kid one of my squirt guns looked much like the Taurus PLY pistols.

5. avatarJack says:

Able-bodied men often forget (or ignore) the fact that some people can’t handle the recoil of a .38, or even a .32. That group includes women who have very small hands and people who have arthritis. For people who are in that group and want the ability to defend themselves, a .22 or a .25 is the only answer. It’s also important to remember that a small caliber offers low recoil for a better chance at quick and accurate follow-up shots. These Taurus pistols differ from the Beretta models in that they’re double action only–a simpler configuration, even if the trigger pull is longer. Time will tell if these polymer versions of the PT-22 and PT-25 are reliable and durable, but the early reviews are mostly positive.

• avatarmiforest says:

to you I say baretta 21. all steel, quality manufacture , time tested, and mine has never had a FTF.
      this type of gun must go bang and feed every time. that ‘s why I picked 25 over 22. slick fmj bullet and center fire priming.

If the very limited 25 is what you want, I think its the best choice.

6. avatar"lee n. field" says:

I’d be willing to take another stab at one, but it better be inexpensive.

7. avatarMatt G. says:

You’ve got to remember, Taurus is based in brazil and middle and south Americans tend to go full retard on caliber selection. They are just pandering to the market.

• avatarCarlosT says:

Actually, we Brazilians would love to have larger calibers like we can have here in the states, but the government restricts them to law enforcement and the military.

8. avatarRalph says:

“We hear of an unfortunate woman who, during a nighttime asthma attack, confused the small handgun she kept under her pillow with an asthma inhaler and proceeded to relieve her symptoms. It was not a fatal mistake, partly because she used a .25 ACP, which everyone knows is not sufficient to clear sinuses.” Jeff Cooper.

• avatarmiforest says:

love jeff, but in real life real close , people get distracted from attacking you if you shoot them a few times. I am old(er) and there were no micro 9′s when I got mine. I handle it very carefully, if you accidently shoot someone with it they could die.

• avatarChuck says:

Perhaps you would like to stand a few feet away while I take my Taurus PT-25 and try to “clear your sinuses” for you?

I have yet to find any hard asses who measure their penis size by the caliber of the gun they carry who are willing to get into a gun battle with me at a 10 foot shooting distance with the gun of their choice but with me getting the first shot with my .25.

Point being my reason to carry a pistol in the first place is to save my life. Given the racket the PT-25 makes it is generally going to let me fire 4 or 5 shots as I run for my life. Yes, there are circumstances that a bazooka would be a better choice for a weapon but they don’t fit quite as comfortably in my front pocket. The PT-25 is so easy to slip in the pocket, weighs little for the protection it offers, has never/ever not fired with any ammo I used and I never forget to take it with me. And that last sentence is the most important part of all because it doesn’t matter what the caliber of the pistol if it is too big to carry comfortably there will be times you just say “Screw it, I ain’t hauling that hunk of lead with me today”.

9. avatarGabba says:

i’d rather a jetfire update than a bobcat copy.

10. avatarBill Johnson says:

Stole the design from Beretta – or licensed it.

S’alright – I gots my .32 Tomcat, and I know it will work. Every time.

• avatarJeff says:

Sounds like Taurus pulled….well…..a Taurus. Some of their top sellers are Beretta knock offs (Taurus 92, anyone?).

11. avatarMike says:

I have this gun and it’s been great so far. The sights are excellent and it’s very comfortable to shoot. I really like the way it looks and it’s also very light. It comes with a tip-up barrel for convenience and 9 + 1 rounds.

12. avatarBob says:

I just bought one of these and I like it. I suppose it’s always better to have the biggest gun, but I fail see why a 22LR is considered inadequate for close range self defense.

I think being hit by one of these bullets would take the fight out of just about anyone. If it’s going to be an ongoing gun battle, yeah, I would wish I had a 44 mag. with a long barrel and a scope.

For me it’s what will I actually carry, and even this little automatic is at the upper edge size wise of what I would call concealed and comfortable to carry in the summer heat wearing jeans and a T-shirt. The Taurus seems well made and I like the fact it has a safety rather than just relying on the double action long trigger pull to prevent firing as many small automatics do. It’s even Made in America, according to what is stamped on the barrel. That might mean “assembled in America”, but that’s better than nothing.

Still, I want one of the tiny North American Arms revolvers which I could comfortably carry all the time.

13. avatarMouselvr says:

I have a PLY-22 stainless and it is very reliable with good high velocity ammunition. CCI Mini Mag and Velocitors work very well. I also have a Beretta 21A in .22lr and like the Taurus just as much.

14. avatarBill says:

thaks to the last two posters who actually gave their impressions of the gun that they have actually handled and fired. I generally like TTAG as teh reviews are extensive, but this commentary is hardly noteworthy and calls into question the usefulness of the entire site. I guess I’ll have to take the “truth” about guns with a grain of salt going forward.

15. avatarShotgun18 says:

I have the Taurus as well as both the Berreta .22 and .32. I find the Taurus much more user friendly than either Berreta. Because of the safety and lack of need to rack the slide the Taurus is now my daily concealed carry choice. I have an NAA in .22lr, a Glock 26 and 19 along with a Ruger in .38o and a Taurus revolver in .22 magnum. I like them all but the PTY .22 is still the best fit for a walk around firearm for my use. My wife and daughter each have several compact firearms for concealed carry but each has, after a lot of comparison range use, opted to add a Taurus PLY for daily carry; easy to use, very reliable in our collective experience, and nine rounds. wife previously carried either her Smith and Wesson revolver in .22, a Taurus revolver in .38 or her Taurus .380 semi-auto. Even in my Vietnam days, a .22 was a constant companion. I suspect you might like the tip- up, DAO Taurus if you get to put some range time on one. For us, the bigger calibers are house favorites (urban, usual crime area) and the .22 travels with us.