[Not So] New from Sphinx: SDP Compact Pistol

Swiss Miss Sphinx is moving into the U.S. market with their CZ-like pistols. Again. Still. As part of that push, the American arm has started to Tweet. (OMG!) One of the company’s first Tweets brings news that they’re finally bringing the SDP Compact 9mm into the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave (note: same place). As it’s been a long day in the Internet salt mines; I’m gonna post ye olde presser after the jump and call it good. If the SDP is as good as their race guns, and we hope to get some trigger time at SHOT and report, well-heeled CZ-lovers may have a suitably swish alternative . . .

Matten, Switzerland - Sphinx®, the Swiss reference in pistol manufacturing, introduces the Sphinx® SDP pistol, specifically designed to meet the demands of law enforcement and military operators. Sphinx pistols have long held the reputation for their exacting precision from concept to the firing range. The new Sphinx® SDP has been designed using the same strict tolerances and state-of-the-art CNC machining used for the Sphinx® competition and commercial lines.

The new Sphinx® SDP Compact 9×19 Parabellum is an all-black compact pistol in Double-Action/Single-Action with an ambidextrous decocking lever and magazine catch featuring various safeties including:

• Loaded chamber indicator (visual and tactile)
  • Internal firing pin safety
  • Drop safety
  • Integrated slide position safety
  • Hammer safety

The Sphinx® frame is unique in that the upper frame or dust cover is made from aeronautic grade, hard-anodized aluminum with Teflon® inserts to reduce wear. The integrated recoil buffer provides stabilization of the gun, getting it back on target quickly and improving accuracy. The full-length guide rails are not inserts like many other pistols, but machined in, providing additional strength and increasing accuracy levels. The integrated Picatinny rail is made from MIL-STD 1913 aluminum with 4 notches to hold a variety of accessories including lights and lasers.

The lower part of the frame or grip is made from a proprietary polymer that will not break down in either extreme hot or cold environments. The ergonomic, 3-component grip is made from soft and hard material for a comfortable, confident hold. Three interchangeable grip sizes (Small, Medium, and Large) are available.

The Sphinx® slide is fully machined from solid steel and features an advanced pyramid design that decreases weight and profile. The slide is coated with TiAIN to resist corrosion and wear. The Sphinx® SDP features the new exclusive sights from DEFIANCE®. The front sight is a fiber/Tritium day & night green sight working in conjunction with a Tritium 2-dot red rear sight. The DEFIANCE® sight system is instantly combat-ready, requiring no switching on-or-off or any external energy sources. The completely waterproof, completely maintenance-free sights provide fast and accurate targeting under all light and weather conditions.

About Robert Farago

31 Responses to [Not So] New from Sphinx: SDP Compact Pistol

1. avatarGerard says:

Didn’t Sphinx manufacture a run of expensive CZ75 clones? That gun looks a lot like a CZ P07 Duty.

• avatarRyan Finn says:

Imagine a CZ 75 esque pistol with a phenomenal trigger. I had a chance to shoot their pistols at the Lucky Gunner shoot last summer and was suitably impressed.

• avatarRobert Farago says:

Sorry, CZ. As I said, loooong day on the Interwebs. Text amended.

• avatarSean says:

That costs 5 times as much as a CZ75. It is way easier to buy a CZ, and get a trigger job. And CZ has excellent customer service. Sphinx does not.

• avatarRecoveringAtheist says:

“Imagine a CZ 75 esque pistol with a phenomenal trigger. ”

I have one…. a sweet blue CZ85 Combat slightly warmed over that made me sell my S&W 952.

• avatarDrew says:

“Imagine a CZ 75 esque pistol with a phenomenal trigger. ”

Exactly. I love my CZ75 single action, best trigger of any semi that I own.

• avatarRonald W. Wheeler says:

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave? What country do you live in?
          I live in the USA and will move next door to you.
          Ron

2. avatarwayne says:

How much is this gun ?

3. avatarGabriel says:

What is glock-like about this pistol? It looks like a CZ to me.

4. avatarTexas Deputy says:

I just did a search to try to find a price on these, but all I could find was a statement that KRISS would be announcing prices and availability in the spring.

They do have a YouTube where they show the details of this model, and the other SPHINX pistols:

They are also producing suppressors for them:

They are also producing a bizarre looking automatic weapon, which they say is being used by some US SWAT teams:
    SOURCE:

“KRISS designed a submachine gun called the Vector which uses a proprietary system to redirect recoil when fired. The result is very little muzzle rise even during full auto fire. The current Vector SMG is chambered in .45 ACP.
    KRISS has the SMG deployed with various SWAT units in the United States, as well as special forces units in North America, Asia and the Middle East.
    In full production, 1,000 units each month are produced in the USA. ”

5. avatarDon says:

And this does what that a Sig or H&K doesn’t already?

• avatarCarlosT says:

I’m guessing cost less.

• avatarJason says:

Negative. Sphinx pistols can cost $3,000 and up. What they do that SIG and H&K don’t do is be made in Switzerland. The Sphinx is essentially a CZ made to Swiss standards. Which is completely relevant to my interests.

• avatarCarlosT says:

Ah, so I’m completely wrong then. Thanks for that.

It’s not for me though, being DA/SA. I really have to have either striker fired or SA.

• avatarJason says:

Oh, they make SA models, and DA models that can still be carried cocked ‘n locked. Which is no surprise since CZs have always been that way. I’m hoping those other models will be following shortly.

• avatarNR says:

Well, the polymer lower frame probably holds a double-stack mag without making the grip an inch and a half thick (which is my biggest gripe about SIG’s aluminum frames). And it probably doesn’t come with HK’s price tag (which is my biggest gripe about HK).

That ginormous trigger guard looks a little goofy though.

6. avatarRalph says:

Gee, another gun that’s not Massachusetts legal. Will wonders never cease?

7. When they say, state of the art CNC machining… maybe I am getting deep in the weeds, but I’m getting tired of reading manufacturing methods being described as “state of the art”. Give some specifics… 5 axis, swiss turn, the CAD/CAM software maybe…

8. avatarRopingdown says:

Have to agree with you, Steve, about the “state of the art” machining bit. I assume it is all they can think of to replace the old phrase “hand crafted by master gunsmiths.”

9. avatarRonald W. Wheeler says:

I read that George Soros bought several gun makers?

10. avatarAharon says:

I still want that 20mm long-range cannon gun.

11. avatarSean says:

A CZ P07 costs $429. Anyone want to bet how much this will cost?

My bet? $1799!

12. avatarj says:

i read somewhere that they were gonna come in at $ 700-800 a piece.

they are made to higher standards than sig or HK, that much is certain.

13. avatarGreg says:

A P07 that costs around a grand. No thanks!

14. avatarGus Backelant says:

I have a Sphinx AT380. Right out of the box it jams, fails to feed and eject with five different ammo’s. Sphinx won’t even answer mail. I am retired LEO. This is the biggest piece of junk ever manufactured. No self respecting police officer would risk his life by depending on one of these.