Incendiary Image of the Day: “How does one proclaim to be a proponent of peace with the callous attitude sported in a photo like this one?” Edition

Kimberly Ripley at celebs.gather.com asks “Should Angelina Jolie, a U.N. ambassador and known peace activist, be touting the sales and use of toy guns? She was seen doing just that on Friday in L.A. with sons Pax and Maddox . . . Do you find this image to be a bit on the disturbing side? Not only did a child recently lose his young life as a result of a toy gun, but Angelina Jolie is known for her role as a peacemaker. How does one proclaim to be a proponent of peace with the callous attitude sported in a photo like this one?” No, she’s not done . . .

What do you think of Angelina Jolie buying her children toy guns and then laughing as one of them is supposedly sprayed with bullets? Is Angie not practicing what she preaches within the confines of her family? Is the peacemaker only concerned with making peace when it involves magazine cover reports of her philanthropy? Something doesn’t quite add up here. What do you think it is?

My guess: left-wing media bias.

comments

1. avatar Eric says:

I’ve heard she likes to shoot quite a bit. Apparently got into it after gun handling in movies. Of course, that could be some right wing, pro-firearms propaganda/fantasy as well, I have nothing to document it.

2. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I’ve always loved AJ and I have all her movies. She always has some cool guns in her flics, so I’m not surprised that she lets her kids play with guns. She does need to do a better job with the kids camo, cuz he stands out like a sore thumb.

3. avatar JohnR says:

Good for her! It’s about time our side got some props from real celebs.

4. avatar Sam Colt says:

Gotta wonder if it’s a Photoshop image,,,,,

5. avatar cmd says:

“Not only did a child recently lose his young life as a result of a toy gun”

It was the pellet gun’s fault that the cops shot him. I couldn’t be the result of the bad decisions he made that day. A 15 yr old knows right from wrong.

1. avatar ralphrotten says:

I’ll take “Blame the Inanimate Object” for $200, Alex..

2. avatar Bob says:

That was probably a “suicide by cop”. I think the 15 year old intentionally acted in a way that would force the cop into shooting him.

6. avatar BlinkyPete says:

I’m not sure where the OP/ED is coming from, but I’m an ardent peace/anti-war advocate, and a gun owner. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

1. avatar KYgunner says:

Having guns keeps the peace. Being unarmed invites violence

2. avatar Tim McNabb says:

I don’t think there are very many pro-war advocates. I am glad you understand that weakness invites conflict. We live in a fallen world. If you want peace, make it clear you will win any war.

7. avatar Levi B says:

If you’re looking to movie stars for role models, you’re doing it wrong.

OMG! It’s a toy gun!! A TOY GUN!!!!!!!

This Chicken Little bullsh!t is just another step in the pussification of America.

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

9. avatar Texan says:

Good for her – the kid may actually turn out normal.

10. avatar Tom says:

Wonder if her child’s gun will be part of the UN gun grab?

11. avatar Tom says:

Wonder if her child’s toy gun will be part of the UN gun grab?

12. avatar L33T says:

She’s actually on record endorsing gun ownership, so I think that this criticism is misplaced.

Also it’s not incongruous for a peace activist to own guns. Guns keep the peace a hell of a lot better than good intentions do.

13. avatar Roadrunner says:

Not satisfied with telling you how much water to flush down your toilet; where to set your thermostat; what toys your kids can play with; they really want to tell you which of your thoughts are appropriate as well. No wonder most people are tired of listening to them.

14. avatar Silver says:

Looking to a celebrity for a role model is almost as stupid as caring what some writer who wastes her life writing about celebrities thinks.

That said, if Jolie’s true beliefs actually are reflected in what she outwardly supports, then good on her.

15. avatar Aharon says:

I don’t see any conflict of values here with AJ being a peace activist to end the mass murder of average people (by the ego-driven elites who are safe in their palaces) and citizens owning guns to be used as a tool in legitimate self defense whether against a local or government sponsored thug. Guns help save lives and free oppressed people, and misused guns murder and enslave people. I served three years in military intelligence and I support citizens owning guns. I am also critical of the USG overuse of the US military in numerous conflicts, America’s huge military budget, and the new law that allow the US military to detain US citizens indefinitely without trial. I see no conflict of interest my history with my values.

1. avatar Tom says:

Good for you.

2. avatar NCG says:

Well said. Individual gun ownership and State use of violence are not remotely equivalent.

3. avatar Ing says:

Yes. Very well said.

Someone else here also pointed out that there’s not necessarily any conflict between being a peace activist and recognizing that peaceful people NEED guns because they have the right to defend themselves.

I’m a pacifist, both in my daily life and in my opinions on what our nation ought to be doing in the world. And I also own guns and practice with them every week and teach my children how to use them, because, there are plenty of brutal people out there who peaceful people only as targets. If any of them attempt to harm me or my family, I’ll exercise my fundamental right to self-defense and pacify them with a well aimed bullet.

So if Angelina Jolie is thinking along those lines, it’s perfectly sensible.

Plus which, guns are fun. So it’s a win-win.

16. avatar Matt G. says:

Robert. You may want to re-format that first paragraph. People not paying attention(like me) may get the impression that you were saying thy stuff. Were used to seeing the origional article’s content tabbed over like the second paragraph. plus, it’s Sunday and a lot of us are hungover and need a little help with the reading comprehension.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Done. Thanks.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

1. avatar Bob says:

For those who can’t read latin:
      If you want peace, prepare for war.

18. avatar 101abn says:

Looks like she hardly got no ass a tall…………..

19. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

MILF

20. avatar Sean says:

Brad and Angie are both shooters. I would imagine HK are quite grateful to Angie selling a lot of USPs for them. But I think they lie on question 11e on their 4473 forms.

And 1010abn, you are correct. No ass there at all.

1. avatar GS650G says:

Nice set of balloons though….

21. avatar Bill Johnson says:

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Ich habe parabellum…

22. avatar JuanCudz says:

If the lefties wanted a stich-up they could have got a photo of the little one pointing the toy at he camera, but they couldn’t. Likely she and Brad are teaching them appropriate gun safety as well as letting children BE children too. Needs to work on muzzle awareness tho’.

23. avatar Leo Atrox says:

Angie and Mr. Pitt have made it quite clear that they are packing heat at home. They believe that it is their right, and that it is necessary–and given their high-profile careers, I’d have to agree. That doesn’t mean that they can’t be “peacemakers;” nor does it mean that they advocate use or carry of firearms outside of the home (although I reckon they would if their careers weren’t so dependant on positive media attention).

24. avatar GS650G says:

The rules are different for them, just try to understand.

25. avatar Thomas M. says: