Support Gun Rights: BUYcott Starbucks on February 14

The National Gun Victims Action Council has declared a Valentine’s Day boycott of Starbucks to protest the coffee chain’s support for American gun laws. TTAG Commentator Greg in Allston has a counter-proposal, as originated by Sebastian and gay cynic . . .

“OK everyone, let’s have some real fun, shall we? Good! Listen up and please hear me out. The antis are planning a boycott. Let’s counter with a BUYcott. On February14, please make the effort to go to Starbucks and buy something. Don’t like their coffee? Get a tea, a cocoa, a pastry, anything. Thank the clerk for Starbucks’ support of the Constitution. And here’s the cool bit . . .

Pay with two dollar bills. Thomas Jefferson, Mr. Liberty himself. If Starbucks sees a huge influx of payment in two dollar bills, people in general, and Starbucks management in particular, are sure to notice.

Why the day before and the day after you ask? Simply to show that we have the power (financial, organizational and political) and the wherewithal to absolutely swamp anything that the antis can muster. Bomb Starbucks with 2A love and money. Three days in a row. What’s it going to cost you? Twenty bucks tops.

There’s a Starbucks a block away from where I work in Cambridge. I plan on giving them a little extra business.

Link to this post: http://wp.me/pOQae-q1Z Spread the word.”

comments

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Amen, brother!

2. avatar pair-o-dee says:

Their coffee is bitter bilge water, but I will stop in and have a latte’. Cheers!

3. avatar sdog says:

i’m in.

4. avatar "Dr."Dave says:

And open carry while you’re at it. (Where legally applicable.)

5. avatar Chris Dumm says:

February 13th at Starbucks? Coffee is a go, Houston.

6. avatar OnlyKetchup says:

I like the concept and will pick something up for the lady. I doubt the clerk will have any idea what we are talking about, but maybe if they hear it a few times they will figure it out.

7. avatar Garrett says:

Starbucks.com has a convenient corporate responsibility link which you can send comments to. And, they give you a space to put your specific store, and a 2000+ word limit.

8. avatar Aharon says:

“Pay with two dollar bills. Thomas Jefferson, Mr. Liberty himself. ”

Haven’t seen one for a long time. I’ll check in with my credit union to see if they have them.

9. avatar RandomHero says:

IN

10. avatar Dorcil Brown says:

I’ll be going to my bank to collect three $2 bills. I have two other friends that’ll be down with this too. I’ll post this on a couple of AZ shooting forums too.

11. avatar Todd94590 says:

+2 USD

12. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

reminder marked on the calendar

13. avatar Coyote Gray says:

I will drink so much Starbucks, that by day two, you will be able to collect my stool, dry it out, grind it to a fine powder, and run hot water through to make a fine cinamon roast with a hint of hazelnut.

1. avatar Anthony Meruelo says:

That is freaking disgusting, bro.

1. avatar HSR47 says:

I think you should see someone about your complete lack of a sense of humor; it can’t be healthy.

2. avatar DavidT says:

Just a new version of civet coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak). And, no, I wouldn’t try that either.

14. avatar Jarhead1982 says:

Hey Mikeb, you want us to send you some starbucks for the occasion?

We will tell your masters you helped support their decision to OBEY THE LAW!

15. avatar irock350 says:

Hrmmmm I would rather not support Seattles worst and patronise my favorite local coffee shop who has never has a problem with my CHL. My feelings about Starbucks runs along the same lines of my seething hatred for Apple. Overpriced hipster crap for people with more self-importance than common sense.

1. avatar RightYouAreKen says:

Around here (Seattle), Starbucks is kind of the equivalent to WalMart. It’s the everyman coffee. Hipsters won’t go near it. They go to places on this list… http://seattle.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/coffee

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

No hipsters? I’m in.

16. avatar Aaron says:

Planning on doing that, and buying some ammo, too.

17. avatar grey says:

While I’m generally opposed to tipping at high priced coffee shops, consider putting a $2 bill in the tip jar as well. It can be a real pia to have a lot of in the register for the cashier

18. avatar FrankInFL says:

I always carry a supply of $2 bills in case of emergency 😉

19. avatar Ben Eli says:

See y’all there

20. avatar Philthegardener says:

Just talked to the local bank. The teller says she hasn’t seen one in ages also. I requested for $20 worth

21. avatar Mr. Lion says:

Double shot espresso, here I come.

22. avatar Dave J says:

In my home town there is a Strabucks adjacent to a Dunkin Doughnuts …I usually patronize the dunkin…but on the days ref above I will purchase a redeye/day from the Starbucks.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Don’t forget to use a $2 bill.

23. avatar Law2001 says:

Is there a law against replicating currency? I know you are doing no harm, but given DHS is monitoring/spying on websites, I’d be concerned about them.

24. avatar Tim says:

Along with purchasing products, I also wrote the company – here is their response –

Dear Tim,

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks’ policy on open carry laws.

At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns that I was unable to address, please feel free to let me know.

Warm Regards,

Kelsey F

Customer Relations

Starbucks Coffee Company

800 STARBUC (782-7282)

Monday through Friday, 5AM to 8PM (PST)

25. avatar twency says:

“Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.”
    I can’t speak to other states, but in Pennsylvania open carry is legal in most of the state (no license required) not because there’s a law permitting it, but rather because no law prohibits it. (There are exceptions.)
    So in much of PA much of the time there are no “laws that permit open carry”, just laws which don’t prohibit open carry. Starbuck’s statement could be read to say that they don’t allow people to open carry in their stores in such areas, even though as far as I know that’s just not the case.
    The confusion stems from a fundamental and common misunderstanding of the nature of law. In general law doesn’t tell you what you are allowed to do, but rather what you aren’t allowed to do.

26. avatar grey says:

While I generally don’t agree with tip jars at counter service places, I plan on putting a 2$ bill in the jar for the clerks. 2$ bills can be a P.I.A. to deal with from the cashiers perspective.

27. avatar dave says:

starbucks phon number is here use it and tell um that you support them and their stance of CCW

28. avatar Debi Rodriguez says:

Shared on FaceBook. Let’s go viral!

29. Shared it on FaceBook. Let’s go viral!

30. avatar jeff winter says:

normally i’m one of those that apathy seems to rule but this i will take part in

31. avatar Gerry says:

Not usually a Starbucks guy, but will stop in that day and yes the $2 bill in the tip jar.

32. I will be there to support Starbucks in their support of the 2nd ammendment , with a 2 dollar purchases to show our support on Valentines day

33. avatar Big Jim says:

I attempted to participate today. I engaged a clerk in conversation about the boycott / buycott. The kid had no idea so I explained what was going on. Clerk one asked me what the second amendment was, he thought it was the freedom of speech.

Second man behind the counter piped up and said no one should have guns and he didn’t want anyone in the store that carried. Having little choice to comply (I was armed naturally) I returned my coffee and left.

The store in question is located in East Greenbush, NY (518) 286-3153 and this particular shop was not 2nd amendment friendly.

34. I didnt know about the two dollar bills,I bought a gift certificate for my daughter for Valentines day and a coffee for myself. My daughter bought a coffee and so did my husband.Lets protect our Constitutional Rights any way we can.

35. avatar rdsii64 says:

Any store that supports my 2nd amendment rights already gets my business. The next time I go to Starbucks I will remember to say thanks this time.