New from Thompson Center: The Dimension Rifle

I posted about this yesterday, but a quick trip to the Winchester / TC booth jogged my memory and got me some great video. This is the gun that you, the user, can change the caliber from .204 Ruger to .300 Win Mag in less than five minutes and at a significantly reduced price compared to a completely new gun. Make the jump for some more details and a video of a TC rep completely taking down and reassembling the rifle in under 5 minutes.

The TC Dimension groups its available calibers into different blocks — A, B, C or D — depending on what bolt length and magazine size is required. This allows the shooter to use the same components for different calibers and only swapping the barrel to change the gun completely. The three components needing changing, specifically bolts, barrels and magazine assemblies, will be sold both individually and as a kit to make swapping out calibers just that much easier.

Speaking of easy, watch this TC rep work with the Dimension.

Despite some trouble with the cantilever rail it still took only about five minutes to completely change the firearm.

Coming soon: new calibers and new barrel profiles. There’s plenty of room on that stock to allow a free floated bull barrel and they plan to use every centimetre of space they have.

comments

1. avatar Jeff O. says:

That’s pretty darned cool. It’s like LEGOs meets firearms.

2. avatar BC; MT says:

Thanks for the update, Nick. Do you know what calibers are offered?

1. avatar Dan says:

The photo above shows barrels for the following calibers:

– .204 Ruger
      – .223 Rem
      – 7mm-08 Rem
      – 22-250 Rem
      – .308 Win
      – .243 Win
      – .30-06 Spr
      – .270 Win
      – 7mm Rem Mag
      – .300 Win Mag

1. avatar Elliotte says:

I see a certain caliber missing. Looks like Nick might need to go evangelizing them

2. avatar Varmint Hunter says:

Check out the link below for more details. Lots of calibers from which to choose…..

3. avatar bigtoe says:

Wouldn’t mind seeing what kind of groups these get after the caliber change.

4. avatar Accur81 says:

Cool idea. Looks like it takes a bit of work to change parts, and
    that by someone who is trained and has the proper tools.

1. avatar Gossven says:

Looks like all you need is the proper tools, a bolt action rifle isn’t exactly the most complex piece of machinery. I think the guy in the video was probably just fumbling a little bit because he was in front of a camera and trying to make it look as good as possible. Still took him less then 5 minutes to get the thing taken apart and put back together even with the distractions of giving a marketing spiel and botching the barrel attachment.

5. avatar Gossven says:

I want one, any word on when they would be available/price? More importantly how much are the kits going to cost and will they be like AR 15 uppers where you don’t need to transfer them to a FFL?

1. avatar matt says:

You’ll be able to do it without a FFL. They’ve been doing this for decades with the Encore/Contender, this is the same thing but a mag fed bolt action rather than a single shot.

1. avatar Gossven says:

That’s what I figured/hoped but you never know what the ATF will decide needs a serial number on it.

6. avatar Richard Storms says:

“I posted about this yesterday, but a quick trip to the Winchester / TC booth jogged my memory and got me some great video.”Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, isn’t T/C… a “subsidiary” of… SMITH AND WESSON ?

7. avatar Guy Ouellette says:

When can we get them in Canada?

8. avatar Fejerang, J says:

Can anyone tell me when it will become available in stores? The guys in both Gander Mountain and Dicks never heard of it when I asked. From Fayetteville NC.

9. avatar Guy Ouellette says:

I talked to Justin at the gun dealer in McAdam ,New Brunswick, Canada & said he should have them in 4 to 6 weeks & selling for 699.99$. Not bad.

10. avatar codyrobledo says:

hey i just got off the phone with an Herb Bauer Rep… the first stage Thompson Center Dimension is 679.95 as it sit presently in Fresno,Ca… now whose to say how much all other accessories cost like Barrels, Bolts, Magazines, and Ammo are all going to cost…lol just a thought but come Aug! IM GETN MY GUN!!! 🙂

11. avatar luke says:

what is the price of it in Kansas ?

1. avatar Jesse Reeves says:

To set up a few answers here by now most people know the official release to the public was in July at $649 for a complete set up and posted on the T/C website. I just purchased the 30-06 model on cheaperthandirt.com for $549. So keep your eyes peeled. As this platform gets more popular I am sure it will have more calibers available. But for a launch 10 caliber options make a good start. Not bragging on T/C but this system is a good setup.

1. avatar Hosea Waldon says:

where can I purchase this rifle in south west mo. or Tulsa OK. area?

1. avatar jess says:

Wal-Mart

12. avatar Ndogg says:

Just got mine at Dicks in CO, $619! Excited to put some rounds through it!

1. avatar patrick says:

Hi Ndogg, what did you get for the $619 price ? and do you know what the other CALs run 243,308. thanks

13. avatar Justin says:

Have you heard anything else about the possibility of bull barrels being made for the dimension?

14. avatar rick says:

I’m hoping for some pistol cals or maybe muzzy barrel

15. So now we’re a couple of years down the road with the Dimension. Here’s my take:
    The trigger isn’t good. It’s not horrible, but it’s not good. Is there anyone who knows anyone producing an aftermarket trigger pack for it?
    The accuracy on my original configuration is nothing short of astounding. On a day where I haven’t had too much coffee prior I can group less than 1/4 MOA. That config is .223 using 40gr Fiocchi store-bought ammo.
    My .308 barrel is less accurate, but I feel it might just be that I haven’t found the ammo it prefers.
    I sent my rifle back once because I couldn’t adjust the trigger. The screw just wouldn’t turn. They sent it back with the safety update completed (per recall), a new stock (the finish had delaminated on the original) and in a new TC-branded rifle case. Very nice.
    What I’m itching for is a selection of barrel profiles and threaded options.