More Info on H&K’s New MR762A1

You guys seemed interested in H&K’s new AR-10 like rifle, so I went back this morning and spent an hour and a half listening to their sales pitch. Here’s the important information distilled for your reading pleasure . . .

First and foremost, the H&K MR762A1 will NOT take standard commercially available AR-10 magazines. Only H&K’s proprietary magazines will work with this bad boy.

The exclusive mag deal increases user confusion—particularly when buying accessories—and makes the MR762A1′s price skyrocket above H&K’s existing markup. Proprietary magazines are one of my pet peeves with firearms, ad especially in a market like the AR-10 rifles (where there are already 5 or 6 magazine “standards”). This will not help. At all.

Second, there’s no California variant of the rifle. CA rifles require bullet buttons; H&K doesn’t have a bigger bullet button for the MR762A1. They haven’t announced a timeframe for release (so to speak).

In terms of import restrictions, everything on the gun will be made in their New Hampshire plant, save the bolt and bolt carrier. Those parts will be coming from the German H&K plant. Thus, the typical 922(r) restrictions need not apply.

Finally, the MR762A1 will NOT be shipping with iron sights. It will come from the factory with no aiming system whatsoever. H&K assumes that anyone willing to drop the cash required to get one of these is also liquid enough to afford some nice glass to go along with it.

H&K doesn’t hate you and they’re right. About the optics. The proprietary mags? Wrong answer.

About Nick Leghorn

19 Responses to More Info on H&K’s New MR762A1

1. avatarLemming says:

I suppose compatibility with their own G3 mags would have been insufficiently profitable.

2. avatarsam says:

Thanks for looking out for California! It could still be transferred to a California citizen, if the lower was shipped not affixed to the upper or if a bullet button was installed before entering California or if a California FFL has an AW permit and installs it before transferring it to the peons here.

3. avatarRobert says:

Someone will make a CA bullet button once it hits the market. They did it for the SCAR, F2000, AUG, ACR, P90, and a whole bunch of other new rifles.

4. avatarSteve says:

I have a buddy that has one of those, the DPMS not the H&K, and it shoots 0.5″ -1.5″ groups @ 100yds (depending on ammo), accepts all standard AR-10 accessories, comes with sights and takes standard Magpul mags. Oh, and it runs like a top.

I see NO incentive to drop Big $$$ on an H&K. This begs the question: Why do they bother? (Military contracts maybe?)

But then again I have to wonder who is out there spending money on H&K products at all (other than the clowns at the Maine State Police). Their pistols are nice (from what I hear) but I cannot find any objective measure by which they are better (and I can find a few in which they are inferior) than competing models from other mfgs. And H&K wants a premium for their stuff.

• avatarJoe Grine says:

“I am still waiting to hear what this overpriced piece of Germanic sillyness does better than a 1000$(ish) DPMS AR-10.”

An HK says “Heckler & Koch” on the side of the lower receiver. The DPMS says.. well, “DPMS.” See the difference?

• avatarGA Koenig says:

I own a MR556A1, so I can speak a little bit about what makes the HK different…

Everything. It might be an AR pattern rifle, but *every single* component on the MR556 is built by HK (or to HK specs). And they are simply the most well engineered components you’ve ever seen. Every bit of steel is Melonited (what HK calls their “Hostile Environment” finish). Every item is perfectly machined. The anodizing is impeccable. The component quality beats the tar out of any other rifle I’ve ever seen.

Put simply – it is the sort of rifle Noveske would build, if they built every single component themselves.

This might all be a meaningless industrial exercise, were it not for the fact that the HK rifles are now extremely well proven in real-deal operations. The Asymmetrical Warfare Group of the Army gave them up kicking and screaming while SOCOM liked the HK416 enough to basically ditch the 5.56mm SCAR Mk16 project (while keeping the Mk17 Heavy). The weapon that gave Bin Laden his lead brain therapy? An HK416.

The folks who have been issued HK AR pattern rifles have absolutely loved them. They have proven to be extremely reliable, tough and well engineered. Building something tough enough to stand up to the abuse some of these users throw at their weapons is not an easy or inexpensive task.

So Mr Leghorn can basically talk all the smack he wants about the HK. Out of all the rifles that fill the pages of TTAG, it is one of the only ones that is at the pointy tip of the spear actually doing the job of a modern military arm. The MR762 is nothing but the 7.62mm embodiment of all that.

Just by way of example, this is the castle nut staking on my MR556 – if you’ll pardon the crappy cell phone pic, you will note that it is utterly perfect. To the point where HK went out and made their own special tool just to do this job on a level that no other rifle builder does:

• avatarJoe Grine says:

Ok, so what you are basically saying is that it’s a pretty rifle and the SEALs use it. Of course, the SEALs get to use OPM to buy theirs (“Other People’s Money”) – or, more specifically, TPM (“Tax Payer Money”)! Since most of us do not have have a ready supply of OPM or TPM to blow on toys, the question becomes: it is really worth the 2x price. Hard to say, in my estimation. I own a bunch of HK stuff, and I’m in the market for a top-shelf piston AR, but I’m sure about taking the plunge on the MR 556A1.

5. Sooooooooooooo………..It’s pretty freaking expensive for one. It doesn’t utilize any of the existing AR-10 magazines that function just fine (H&K’s way of getting you by the balls in my opinion), and doesn’t ship with irons (which isn’t that bad now a days but for the price you pay they could at least do something).
    I know a lot of people are excited about this gun. Not to be a “hater” but I’m not one of them. Unless you just have money to blow I don’t see why anyone would particularly want a rifle that A. weighs more than most other rifles of it’s type. B. Utilizes proprietary magazines that will undoubtedly be expensive and hard to find (FN is guilty of this too *Cough SCAR17s*) instead of utilizing existing magazines that may save your consumer some cash and may actually cause a few more people to look at your rifle. C. Even though this is just a pet peeve; why not ship it with some form of iron sights? It’s not like they’re not already going to be making a ton of profit off of this rifle anyways.

I mean it doesn’t look like a bad rifle by any means, but I don’t see the appeal here. If I were going to spend an ungodly amount of money on a .308 rifle I’d probably just buy a SCAR 17S (You can still file .308 Pmags to fit those at least).

6. avatarRob in Cali says:

I was playing with it earlier today, and the thing weighs a ton. The DMR version just makes the problem 10x worse, I could barely get the thing off the rack.

7. avatarJames says:

“First and foremost, the H&K MR762A1 will NOT take standard commercially available AR-10 magazines. Only H&K’s proprietary magazines will work with this bad boy.”

I stopped reading right there. Screw this junk.

The last thing the AR10 market needs is another set of incompatible, non-standardized, proprietary magazines. I’m in the market for a .308 AR, too, and H&K just lost my money.

8. avatarPro.0s says:

Does it take G3 mags?

9. avatarChris says:

The MR762A1 is not the same weapon system that goes through the Milspec acceptance test, but it’s important to realize that HK commercial firearms are held to the same quality standard. So, comparisons between military models and commercial models are somewhat anachronistic.

You really do get what you pay for. I always frame the argument this way: Would you rather have a firearm that was made to function properly in the most ideal conditions, like at the range. Or, a firearm that was made to function properly in all conditions, like in the rain? That’s the difference. If all goes to hell, do you want the gun that’s built for the range, or the gun that’s built for survival? The safety of myself and family is worth the extra cash in my opinion.

10. avatarSmall Squirrel says:

When reading proprietary mags only … very, very bad. Not aware if lower receiver can (be customized to) accept aftermarket 100rd polymeric drums. Also, did not notice mention or availability of 32.5″, 37.5″ and 42″ heavy weight titanium fluted barrels with end threads for MR762A1 (Also not good sign). As owner of a customized HK sidearm w accessories, engineering very nice, however 2-3x cost of the rifles = massive drawback. Threaded barrels [near impossible] to find.

Real world, acquiring and customizing a MR762A1 w 42″ fluted ti barrel, few 100rd polymeric drums, quick attach bipod, 20-50x x 50/60 scope w integral laser designator, titanium suppressor, integrated [aftermarket] secure 300+Mb/s multi-band SATCOM transceiver w bluetooth, 1000rd tin of .308 +P+ teflon tip lead jacket tungsten carbide core rounds …. afraid would be extremely difficult to acquire and costly. No experience how MR762A1 reacts to +P+ rounds.

Thoughts please.

11. avatarpaul says:

The rifle is expensive because of the following.

1. Best in the world engineering and reliability.

Nuff said. If u cant afford it and have to settle for an ar10 yo.u dont ha.ve to get mad, its gonna be ok. I plan on buying one because when i buy a firearm i dont cheap out. Hk is the proven leader in firearms worldwide.

You get what u pay for.

12. avatarBobby L. says:

I LOVE my MR556A1. I waited 5.5 months to receive a brand new MR762A1 after ordering one in January, 2013. My first task was to break it open and run a cleaning patch and an oil patch through the bore. Much to my surprise, and NOT like my MR556A1, there is a rough off-center tool mark (perhaps a key seat cutter, about 3/8″ diameter x .035″ deep) on the face of the breech, forward of the bolt lugs and undercut! I know a machining error when I see one and this is just nasty! HK quality department says all rifles are like mine. I am NOT buying it. Right now, I am thinking that their slogan of “No Compromise” is BS. Anybody out there have a rifle to verify this?

13. avatarAnother Rob in Cali says:

Bottom line this gun is not for pussies nor is it a hobby gun. It’s heavy both on your wallet and in your hands. The proprietary mags are not because HK is trying to get you by the balls. This gun is a direct variant of the hk417 which is a weapon designed for military/law enforcement. I for one am glad hk made a civil version of the 417 and did ONLY what was needed to make it legal in the US. Aside from a very few small changes this gun is essentially a 417, not to mention a match rifle out of the box. Will a DPMS put ammo down rang with the same accuracy/reliability? Probably close, but if I had to depend on one with my life it would be the hk no questions asked.

14. avatarMike says:

All the complaining about the lack of compatibility with other rifles And cost is nauseating. I welcome a rifle that is different from most other ar-10′s. It’s like pissing and moaning that cars have different tire sizes. H&k have ALWAYS been expensive and different and that is what sets them apart . 99% of folks who buy h&k would go back to buy them once more. Most, if not all, the world militaries use them. Case closed……..