Question of the Day: What Not to Say at the Range

RF was shooting next to someone with a fancy-looking smooth bore this afternoon. Curiosity piqued he asked, “What kind of shotgun is that?” The proud owner turned towards him, lighting him up with the 12-gauge barrel of a heavily modified 870 Wingmaster. “Suddenly, I wasn’t so interested,” RF revealed. What other questions should one avoid asking at the range?

comments

1. avatar DrewR55 says:

What d’ya mean I can’t shoot this modified Glock 19?

2. avatar Sam Wright says:

Did you know you can modify that 1911 to full auto with a paper clip and rubber band?

1. avatar HSR47 says:

Howso?

1. avatar Sam Wright says:

It was a joke, and I would never tell anyone how to do anything illegal online.

3. avatar Van says:

I try not to engage other shooters in conversation while at the range. First off, for obvious reasons, we usually end up shouting at each other like idiots.

Second, I take the shop class rule approach, don’t distract someone when they are operating power equipment (or guns).

1. avatar Tom says:

More or less.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

I totally agree with this. I don’t talk to people at the range, generally. If they initiate, I’ll be friendly, but I don’t strike up conversations, at least not in the range itself. Sometimes at the counter.

Of course, my primary outlet is an indoor range. I might feel differently at an outdoor range, if for no other reason than there would be less “shouting at each other like idiots.”

4. avatar Aharon says:

“Your shooting skills _ _ _ _ ”

“I know your wife”

“Don’t you work for Eric Holder”

Here are the top 5 questions you should never ask:
    5. Dude, when was the last time you bathed?
    4. Where did you steal that gun?
    3. Did you learn how to shoot from Call of Duty?
    2. Ooooo, I just love your pants. Are they Gucci?
    1. What’s a Glock?

6. avatar Mr. Lion says:

“Hold my beer and watch this.”

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

You just stole the words off my keyboard.

7. avatar BLAMMO says:

Wait a sec … RF had never seen a Remington 870 Wingmaster before?

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

It was a gussied-up tacticool version with light, laser, custom forend, mag extension, etc.

1. avatar Dan says:

well it stopped being a wingmaster once the grip and mag extension went on it along with the Laser.

8. avatar Aaron says:

My range is a very friendly place – people talk to other people all the time, shoot each other’s guns, etc… (all of it done safely in a non-distracting way).
    One thing I wouldn’t do at the range is talk about anything you shouldn’t have that’s prohibited by law.

9. avatar mike0101 says:

Nice gun. My wife shoots the same one.

10. avatar Joe nobody says:

Its a lil windy can you hold my target while I shoot?

11. avatar Sam says:

“FORE”
    I hate golf btw

12. avatar Todd94590 says:

Jimmy, Do you like Gladiator movies?

So, Jimmy… have you ever seen a grown man naked?

1. avatar HSR47 says:

Have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison?

13. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

“SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME” I’ve never heard it at the range, but a guy I work with says it all the time. I once told him that he’s saying it in front of the wrong person (me), and he replied “I’m saying it in front of the right person”.

14. avatar Marky says:

“hell I could make that shot blindfolded!”

15. avatar LeftShooter says:

Some random “ill-advised” range comments (Pity I have to work, I could do this all day long.):

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Cheney. I look forward to shooting with you.”

“Ahh, go ahead, the Range Officer’s nowhere in sight.”

“Hey buddy, you know that gun comes in pink, too, don’t you?”

“I see you’re shooting a .22 snubbie. Do you think being shot with that gun actually hurts?”

“Of course the camera was rolling. Shooting yourself in the foot and then doing that “pogo stick dance” afterwards is really going to light up the TTAG website!”

“Is that a spare magazine in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

16. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

“Nah, it’s fine. I saw this in a FPSRussia video…”

17. avatar IdahoPete says:

“Hey, gimme that gun for a minute. I was thinkng of buying one, so I wanna try it out.”

“Look down this barrel. Can you see if there is a round in the chamber?”

18. avatar Jwhite says:

I disagree with the “One firearm out at a time rule. I often have my rifle and pistols out on the table I’m shooting from. We have a large group and the majority of us setup several firearms. When we call a ceasefire we have everyone lock their actions back, and remove the magazines, even if they havent been shooting them. Thats enough for me to be feel safe and comfortable. As for not shooting water bottles. Whatever. Water bottles are no more dangerous than those ground hoppers you can shoot. The orange cubes and what not. I’ve been shooting cans and water bottles since I was a kid and never had a problem.

19. avatar TR says:

“Isn’t that the gun the Gibbs uses on NCIS?”–I’ve actually heard that one…