Defensive Gun Use of the Day: Adan Duran

Zaiven Ridley, who’s from Sacramento, somehow wandered almost 200 miles and decided to invade a home – apparently looking to kill whomever he found – in rural Kingsburg. For a reason no one has yet been able to divine, he chose Adan Duran’s home. Ridley chose poorly. . .

Duran heard Ridley trying to break into his garage. When that didn’t work, he tried the living room window. According to kmph.com:

…he went to the front of the house where he was confronted by two dogs that bit him.

Duran says he attacked the dogs and kept going.

He used the hammer to break the living room window, where Duran was waiting.

“When I see him come to me, I shoot at him,” said Duran.

He fired one round from his .357 magnum revolver in an effort to protect his four children and his wife, who were all home.

“I don’t like somebody to put one finger on anyone in my family,” said Duran.

The intruder was hit in the thigh.

“I never think about killing him. I want to stop him,” said Duran.

According to the video at the link – which we couldn’t embed – Duran was on the phone with the police the whole time. And the wind whistling through Ridley’s thigh didn’t keep him from flapping his gums.

“He told me ‘I want to kill people.’ I told him, you move one finger, I’m going to shoot you on your head,” said Duran.

His wife and kids had all locked themselves inside a bedroom – and stayed safe.

Which was when the cops pulled up.

Even in California, it’s not illegal to own a handgun and protect your family. You don’t need anything expensive and you don’t need to be able to shoot the eye out of a silver dollar flipped into the air. You just need to know how to fire the gun and the willingness to use it when your life is threatened.

comments

1. avatar ready, fire,aim says:

now the civil trial begins……….

1. avatar Jwhite says:

So pathetic isn’t it? There are some states with a castle doctrine that bar the defendant from being sued in civil court correct?

1. avatar Roman Sparks says:

Isn’t Texas sweet?

2. avatar Ropingdown says:

Pennsylvania bans such civil suits by the perp, the perp’s estate, and the perp’s family.

3. avatar Nate says:

Georgia has a very comprehensive Castle Doctrine.

4. avatar Stephen H says:

Florida also.

2. avatar Tim McNabb says:

Indeed – every scumbag has a mother who loves him…

3. avatar Chas says:

This type of thing just doesn’t happen according to the gun haters, does it, Mike?

1. avatar Mikeb302000 says:

I know it happens, it’s just not nearly as frequent as you guys pretend.

To me this one sounded like a true blue DGU.

1. avatar Cory says:

Well Mike, it happens a helluva lot less than the cases of innocent people being robbed, beaten, raped, maimed and killed by human garbage such as this guy.

In that regard, you are correct, things like this do not happen near enough. I would rather 100 scum get their arses blown away by their victims than for 1 law abiding citizen to have their life stolen by these vermin.

1. avatar Mikeb302000 says:

Cory, who’s gonna determine where the line is between the vermin deserving of death and the vermin who might be spared? You? I thought you and your friends were into due process. You sure call for that when gun rights are at stake. But in this, you want to blow away 100 vermin for each good guy.

4. avatar Aharon says:

“Even in California, it’s not illegal to own a handgun and protect your family.”

That might depend on who shoots, who gets shot, and what area it occurs in. In San Francisco, if a 50 year old white male (no wife no kids) shoots a 15 year old illegal alien breaking into his home at 9pm that home owner can still get attacked by the SF’s anti-gun crazy establishment who want to criminalize law-abiding gun owning citizens and intimidate others not to buy guns.

1. avatar Whiskey Tango says:

one day San Fran will fall off into the ocean and the rest of normal America will shrug.

1. avatar Aharon says:

The survivors aren’t welcome in Oregon. They can go live with Mike.

2. avatar Kirk says:

While buying a Kimber Raptor today at my friendly, extraordinarily busy firearms dealer (where, btw, women were clearly customers), I heard a rumor that San Francisco has been rapped upside the head so hard by litigants seeking CCW’s in this de facto no-issue town that they are considering issuing annual permits….for $1,500.

I’d pay, for sure. But isn’t it curious how liberal’s high standards crumble when they’re in debt and really need to close that budget deficit?

Regardless, I hope it’s more than a rumor. The food here is fantastic, and it is a “slum with a view,” but I ever think of leaving because the politics and regulatory environment are so monstrous.

5. avatar Tom says:

I just do not feel sorry for the scum. Only a thigh shot. Dang.

6. avatar bigtoe says:

Virginia doesn’t have a castle doctrine but we do have a law in place where if you shoot someone breaking in your home you can are protected from civil and criminal prosecution. Same does not apply if someone is stealing your car while you are in your home though. Shame.

7. avatar joe says:

The only thing in San Francisco worth preserving are the trolley and cable cars-the population there can all die of airborne AIDS -who cares?

1. avatar ready, fire,aim says:

WOW….and i’m straight

2. avatar carey says:

Gosh, I think you just wished death on a city full of people. Mighty Christian of you.

3. avatar Kirk says:

Hey, Joe…you wishin’ me dead of a horrible disease? Really?

As Carey says, mighty Christian of you.

8. avatar GS650G says:

Next time center of mass

1. avatar GUNSnDONUTS says:

+1. Would’ve been a better ending for all involved.

9. avatar ScottyV says:

Another case where no civilian in NYC would be able to protect his family… Legally….

1. avatar Javier says:

Don’t forget Joisy.

10. avatar NR says:

I really love this new DGU of the Day series.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

We should have done it a long time ago. Apologies to those who suggested it before.

1. avatar Mikeb302000 says:

I agree it’ll be a good addition to the site. The only difficulty is you’ll have to scour the country for reports to qualify while your IGOOTD reports will continue to be so plentiful you’ll have to pick and choose from any single news source.

1. avatar Chris says:

That last one has a misspelling in the URL, but somehow, it’s accurate. haha.

oh and that headline is such garbage, it makes it seem like they had an argument and the store owner shot a patron in the middle of it. The guy came back with two guns and pointed them at the owner.

11. avatar zaiven says:

I did not harm any animals. I was never bit by any one of their dogs. the bullet didn’t go through so the wind was not whistling. I thought there was someone inside that was in trouble and Adam was a bad guy. I had no idea who was living there. I care about people and animals. I did not say I want to kill people. I was sober i just had no cell phone and i panict. I am truly very sorry for the trouble I caused the duran family and thankful that adam is such a good man.

sincerly