New From Beretta: ARX-160 .22 Pistol

[HTML1]

How many .22 clones can you shoot in one day? Keep guessing. In the meantime here’s video of me vainly plinking away with Beretta’s very newest rimfire offering: a .22 clone of their pricy ARX-160. What is there to say about a two-handed, five-pound pistol with precise aperture sights and a mediocre trigger? If we’re feeling charitable, it feeds and fires reliably using ‘standard’ .22 AR magazines. I’m usually a decent shot with a .22 rifle or pistol, but I listened in vain for the ‘ping’ of lead hitting steel as I fired this bit of firearms curiosa to little effect. The main reason why this is a FOAB (Fish on A Bicycle) firearm . . .

The supplied (pop-up) aperture sights are nearly impossible to use. This gun begs for a big red-dot sight. RF begged me to throw a towel over it; he thinks the ARX-160 is the ugliest gun he’s ever seen. I think it would look awesome in the hands of a sci-fi Space Marine.

The ARX-160′s so new that no price has been announced yet. The sample I fired may in fact be the world’s only working prototype. As with the .22 Mini-Uzi pistol I demoed just before this, I fail to see the point of turning rifles into pistols. But somebody must see a reason for doing so (money?) or else they’d stop making them.

12 Responses to New From Beretta: ARX-160 .22 Pistol

1. avatarJohn says:

Uhhh….. Yeah I fail to see the point, just like Rugers .22lr LCR. A .22 clone of something good for the caliber it’s made for, not .22.

2. avatarDrewR55 says:

Agreed. A 22lr pistol seems rather lame. That said when the ARX-160 chambered in 5.56 shows up I’ll be lining up to one of the second or third production runs. (you know; after all the bugs are worked out from the first run) if they offer a 22lr conversion kit for the standard models I’d probably take one.

3. avatarJesse N. says:

Someone at Beretta has been playing too much Fallout 3, I think. :P

4. avatarBen Eli says:

It looks like a tacticool nerf gun

5. avatarMatt in FL says:

Horribly ugly.

6. avatarPuzzled about it says:

How about unfolding the stock and use it the way it was meant to. It’s the 22 version of an assault rifle, not a squirt gun.

7. avatarChris in TX says:

I picked up a ARX-160 .22LR rifle and it shoots flawlessly. It will accept any .22LR round you give it with no failures. If the pistol is anything like the rifle I will get one, no matter how ugly it is.

8. avatarSMG says:

“I fail to see the point of turning rifles into pistols”. How about concealed carry laws?

9. avatarJames says:

Grabbed one from Buds Guns on blow out price, it is back to full price now, shoots great, I like it, put a Crimson Trace on the rail and this thing attracts attention at the range. Comes in a nice suitcase type hardcase.