Question of the Day: What Are Your New Year’s Gun Resolutions?

[HTML1]

I resolve to not use sex to promote The Truth About Guns. At some point. In the future. After we finish the 2013 calendar. If it turns out to be a waste of money. What’s your New Year’s firearms-related resolution? Less guns? More guns? More range time? What?

comments

1. avatar Drew says:

Buy less (especially broken/project guns, I just can’t pass up a bargain), shoot more, get the hell out of California (or at least the O.C.), finish all those projects I mentioned and streamline my “accumulation” (collection implies a plan).

2. avatar Big John says:

I’m gonna make it to the local idpa match, maybe compete.

3. avatar John says:

Shoot the M&P 15 that I bought back in September! Pitiful, I know..,

4. avatar Texan says:

Spend all my free time at (or near) that shooting range, become proficient with a spotting scope, and take up photography.

Either that or (yawn) exercise and lose 25 pounds.

The former seems like more fun.

5. avatar Mark says:

This is a bad resolution and seems almost un-American.

6. avatar Phil H says:

First, stop procrastinating and endlessly analyzing and buy my second concealed carry weapon (to augment my trusty S&W .38 snubby) – and regardless of which I choose, make sure that I end up carrying it more often. Too many times I go out into the world unarmed, despite my CHP and an easily concealed weapon with which I am adequately proficient.

Second, proselytize more often and more effectively. Take friends and family to the range (new one opening up here in central VA, should be great).

Third, practice more.

Fourth, continue to remind myself and others that there are many potential 2nd amendment supporters out there – and not all of them would necessarily get off watching naked bimbos shoot guns. 🙂

7. avatar Pete says:

Go to the range more often. Find and buy a 10mm 1911. Take that to the range regularly.

1. avatar SCS says:

Two thumbs up!!!

2. avatar HSR47 says:

Why not one in .50 AE?

8. avatar J in MS says:

Shoot more. I would love to acquire more, but I’m out of room in the safe. Can’t get a bigger safe, because I’m out of room in this house. Therefore, I need to buy a bigger house, then bigger safe, then more guns.

9. avatar Tom says:

They can shoot my pistol!

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

They’re newbies. You’ve got to tell them “lots of lube, nothing but ball, every gun is always loaded” etc.

10. avatar Don Curton says:

CCL.

11. avatar Tim says:

Not to be suckered into every TTAG article that has Hot Babes in pics and videos – but like all my other resolutions, Jan 2nd should be the failure date.

12. avatar dan says:

lose 10 pounds and set up the reloading table so i can afford to shoot more.

1. avatar William says:

I am resolving much the same. The difference being a few more pounds and reloading so I shoot more for the same money

13. avatar O.N. says:

To make it through the gauntlet and get a psitol permit in a “may issue” state.

14. avatar ROger.45 says:

Molon Labe!

15. avatar Rokurota says:

Not finish dead last in the next GSSF match.

16. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

Shoot more and buy more guns and plenty of ammo. Please don’t get rid of the hot babes EVER. Happy New Year to all.

17. avatar Tim McNabb says:

1) Get a S&W M&P 22LR pistol
    2) Join/purchase insurance against criminal and civil liability in a defensive gun use.
    3) Get a good hunting rifle – learn to shoot like Nick “Headshot” Leghorn

1. avatar matt says:

And where does one buy a get out of jail free card, or insurance against criminal liability?

18. avatar Talmon Burke says:

1. Find a friend to help me get familiar with the AR-15 platform. (I grew up with bolt and lever guns.)
    2. Spend some quality time with a small revolver, possibly for every day carry. (I have always shot larger revolvers for plinking. My current EDC semi-auto is a little bigger than I like.)
    3. Spend more time at the range.

1. T0 teach another non-gunny friend to shoot.
    2. To finally use my Massachusetts State Police and NRA pistol and rifle instructor’s certificates and train some people for a small fee.
    3. To not shoot anybody who doesn’t force me to shoot ’em.

20. avatar Aaron says:

I resolve to make each day better than the last. I don’t wait 364 days to make up my mind to improve upon what I’ve been doing and how I’ve been doing it.
    I do have some goals – getting some excellent firearms training and hopefully finding a long term relationship with a woman who likes to shoot are on the table for me in 2012…

21. avatar Van says:

Shoot more.

1. avatar HAVE GUN says:

Shoot more.

Me too, especially with my new found love of black powder.

22. avatar Frank says:

To customize my Ruger 10/22 and to sporterize an SKS rifle.

1. avatar Patrick Carrube says:

After you’re done with those, how about you put a Merlin big-block in my Prius or throw some 33” mudders on my G35? [/sarcasm] 🙂

23. avatar KWAL says:

To contribute a photo to the TTAG Calendar.

24. avatar Ben Eli says:

Be more patient while shooting

25. avatar KYgunner says:

Convince my fiancé that she should go to the range with me. Then convince her we should both get our Carry permits. And get a S&W M&P9c

26. avatar Bruce W. Krafft says:

Hmmm, after watching the babes I’m reminded of two things: 1) Muzzle control and B) Trigger discipline.

Okay, maybe I thought of a couple of other things first . . .

27. avatar Roadrunner says:

While a student in Virginia with its one-gun-a-month law, it never affected me because I never had much money. Now I think one-gun-a-month is something to aspire to: A Sig 1911 Scorpion; then maybe a 556; would love another Savage .308 with AccuTrigger; maybe an M&P 15; would love a .44 Magnum for a trail gun; or a Glock 20. Well, it’s fun to dream….

More seriously, to take an Appleseed rifle course with my 14-year old son.

1. avatar Ryan Finn says:

Get your carry permit and you can circumvent the one gun a month rule

1. avatar Roadrunner says:

Got the permit. Persuading my wife on a new gun every month is a higher hurdle.

2. avatar Ropingdown says:

I’m very content with the G20 on the trail, loaded with 200 gr DT rounds. Shot-to-shot recovery is quite fast. The insiders and gun salesmen probably haven’t told you this, though: The bears know all about the 44 magnum. They get one cub to run by you at full speed, tumbling, doing jumping jacks and such. You shoot and miss. Then mama bear saunters out of the bushes and gnaws off your strong hand during the 11 seconds it takes to recover between shots.

1. avatar Roadrunner says:

Thanks for the comps. The G20 also has the 15 rounds in its favor, and seems to come in at about half the price of the 44 Magnums I liked. I’ve thought about adding pepper spray to my pack. You know, to spice up the bear after I shoot it.

28. avatar Ryan Finn says:

I would like to get certified as an instructor, practice more so I can live up to the Wyatt Earp nickname my co workers have given me and start reloading.

1. avatar HSR47 says:

Which instructor cert? NRA?

29. avatar Patrick Carrube says:

I’d like to start reloading… rifle to start, perhaps with a single stage setup, then eventually a progressive setup for pistols.

30. avatar Ropingdown says:

I resolve to re-zero my hunting rifles and practice snap-shooting with my 30-06 more often, instead of working all this tactical scenario stuff shooting from cars, from behind shed walls, shooting weak handed from culverts, etc. Well, at least to re-zero by late next summer.

31. avatar HSR47 says:

Get a machinegun, get medical coverage, get new spectacles, find a new dentist, and expand my stores of ammunition, food, and water.

32. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

smoke more cigars

1. avatar Todd94590 says:

+1over the last 12 (well, 24) months, I’ve checked on my humidor every 6 weeks to make sure the water holding thingy (??) is set

….don’t want what I have drying out, after all.

and haven’t smoked many in that time, either.

33. avatar garynyer says:

move to flordia by the end of may, go back to college, become an RN, and marry my girlfriend

34. avatar Cameron says:

Build up an AR from a lower I’m getting in a group buy. I’m likely gonna top it with a BCM upper.

1. avatar garynyer says:

i suggest a BCM midlength 14.5 (pinned and welded)
      Very light and super easy to control
      If only i could collapse my stock it would be way more handy

35. avatar Jay Wolf says:

More new bullets.

36. avatar Chris Dumm says:

I resolve to be more considerate of my shooting neighbors, by using a suppressor and making less noise when I shoot.

Someday…