Which Heizer DoubleTap Should TTAG Test?

Robert,

Laura passed your inquiry regarding the [Heizer] Double Tap to me for processing. The are many variants and I wondered which you would like to test. It’s available in aluminum or titanium, 9mm or .45 ACP, with either ported or unported barrels, or one of each barrel.

comments

1. avatar TTACer says:

Ti or Al, whichever is lighter, unported .45. If it is possible to be effective with that flavor then any other variant should be fine.

1. avatar Texas Deputy says:

2. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

And post the video. I want to see Robert’s and/or Nick’s face the first time they touch off a round. Should be entertaining.

2. avatar mashir says:

Gotta go all out for this one: .45 in Titanium. I could go either way on the porting.

3. avatar Joe Grine says:

I have a ported .45 acp compact and I really it (Springfield Armory V10 Supertuned) so go for the ports!

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

He means he really likes it. I’ve shot it, a lot, and I like it too. I tried to buy it from him once. Go for the ports!

4. avatar Mogg says:

.45, Titanium, ported.

For such a small pistol, the recoil could be a bit snappy,
    the ti version moreso, but as it’s lighter, it should be more carryable,
    which is what this weapon is intended for.
    Heizer makes a big deal about their porting, patents and whatnot,
    so that really should be tested.

1. avatar Auxin says:

I agree!

Maybe stock it with something advertised as “reduced recoil” loads?

2. avatar Greg in Allston says:

+1. .45 ACP, Ti, ported.

Someone said, awhile back (perhaps Ralph), that this little number is sort of the Liberator Pistol for our age. Considering the way the Western World is turning these days, the idea of a Liberator Pistol is an idea whose time may well be at hand again.

1. avatar NR says:

Scary stuff. Free speech or not, I didn’t hear you say that.

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Thanks NR and good on you. I appreciate the sentiment. But, unfortunately, you don’t count. The NSA, et al, hoovers this stuff up. If you post to a gun blog, or most any blog for that matter, you’re in someone’s data base, for good or for ill. In some way or other, no matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on, you’re someone’s enemy of the State. Welcome to the 21st century, pal.

The Woolworth Gun is back! Nah, not really. The Liberator was the ugliest gun ever made, bar none. The Heizer is a handsome-looking piece. Let’s just see if it actually works.

5. avatar Hunter S. says:

Ported… Titanium… .45ACP

And we need someway to gauge real world recoil. Maybe have a variety of people handle the weapon and get their candid opinions.

This could be an incredible carry weapon if it’s as good as Heizer says it is.

6. avatar LC Judas says:

It prolly should be the cheaper one. This is one thong that ergonomics has no influence on and the cheaper one is going to be what most people are trying. The benefits over the most expensive are bound to be minuscule considering what kind of weapon it is. Then, if the benefits of the more expensive version were something you were interested in, it would make the most sense to compare them side by side: Bells n Whistles vs. Plain Jane if that was the case.

7. avatar Berz says:

9mm, titanium unported.

1. avatar sdog says:

agreed, the more inexpensive model is likely to sell more units. my opinion could be swayed if i knew how much any of the models will be sold for.

1. avatar pastubbs says:

the cheapest is $500 and tops out at $800

8. avatar Ryan Finn says:

.45, titanium and unported. Go big or go home.

9. avatar Aaron Van says:

Hate to go against the grain but I would only buy the AL 9mm ported. Thats the one I would like reviewed.

10. avatar pastubbs says:

which everyone is the cheapest I doubt most people would drop a ton of cash on one of these especially when theres so many cheap daringness out there.

1. avatar pastubbs says:

wow nevermind just seen the price on these things I’d never buy one I. in that case go all out with the ported Titanium .45 acp

11. avatar Sam Wright says:

.45 titanium ported I want to see.

12. avatar Sid says:

Umm, can we all just agree that it is going to be damn hard to convince possible buyers to spend that much money on a modern Derringer? $800 for a damn .45 ACP ported Derringer. You can buy a modern firearm that fires multiple rounds for a lot less.

13. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I’d love to see the 45.

14. avatar Phil says:

I think the .45 is too much in this package to be practical, so I would test the 9mm with one ported/one unported to see the difference.

15. avatar Mr. Lion says:

.45, Ti, unported.

Ideally I would like to see a test between ported and unported with respect to accuracy and ergonomics.

Don’t give a fig about recoil or 9mm europellet.

.45 cal. What else matters?

17. avatar Charles says:

.45, titanium, ported.

18. avatar Mark says:

Considering the purpose of such a weapon I’d go with Ti, both cals, both barrels. Is porting worth the extra $$ ?

19. avatar michael says:

You should double your pleasure and test both.

20. avatar Ben Eli says:

I would say aluminum in 9mm because I imagine this is the variant that most people would buy, or would be curious about buying.

21. avatar Brice says:

I don’t care which one you test as long as you give it to me when you’re done. 🙂

On a serious note. I’d buy the 9mm version because I’m pretty heavily invested in that caliber.

22. avatar Brad Kozak says:

The only responsible thing to do, to learn the Truth About (these) Guns are to test ALL of the variations. I volunteer to test the .45 Titanium ported and unported, to get a clear picture of the benefits of same.

23. avatar Eric S. says:

$500 for the cheapest version? Few will buy it in 9mm because you can get a Ruger LC9 or a Kahr CM9 cheaper (not to mention the Kel-Tec PF9). It weighs 14oz empty and a Kahr is 16oz with empty magazine so the only benefit is the 1/3-inch less thickness.

I can see folks buying the .45ACP version since there’s few small guns that can fire that cartridge but the higher barrel firing might feel like someone trying to break your wrist. By the looks of it the frame seems to be shaped to get a high grip so it might not be so bad on the lower barrel.