Ten-Year-Old’s DGU Saves Halloween Candy

chronicle.augusta.com  reports that a 10-year-old in South Carolina successfully defended his Halloween candy from a vicious, sugar-crazed predator. According to the police, the 28-year-old candy snatcher said she recognized some boys from her neighborhood trick-or-treating. She “jokingly” told the lads she would steal their candy. One 10-year-old responded with an appropriate verbal warning. “No you’re not.” When the woman continued to move towards the youngsters, the 10-year-old drew a 9mm handgun and pointed it at the perp. Fortunately, brandishing defused the attack. “Obviously, we don’t encourage anyone under the age of 18 to carry a concealed weapon,” a police spokesperson commented. “Appropriate charges will be brought. But this incident highlights the need for parents to supervise their children for their own safety and protection. The children’s I mean.” [/sarcasm.]

comments

1. avatar DrewR55 says:

Nobody better lay a finger on my butterfinger.

1. avatar pastubbs says:

I seen that one coming surprised RF didn’t pull it out himself.

2. avatar karlb says:

RF, you are fine form this morning: “vicious, sugar-crazed predator,” “recognized the threat and responded with an appropriate verbal warning,” and “brandishing (the pistol) defused the attack.” Nice writing, almost Swiftian.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I’m almost flattered.

1. avatar Adam says:

It’s good that you put the [/sarcasm] tag there, less people get confused.

2. avatar karlb says:

Almost? Was the story to easy to make fun, or do you have something against Swift?

Is that Thomas Swift or his dumber brother, Nottoo?

3. avatar Mr. Lion says:

Clearly the parents are at fault here. I mean, it’s just inexcusable to not educate your son on the merits of the .45 ACP over the 9mm.

1. Don’t be ridiculous. A ten-year-old is better off with lower recoil and a higher round count.

2. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

Oh, the gut-wrenching nightmare of caliber worship…

1. avatar NR says:

Hey, where’s a kid gonna learn old-time religion, if not from his parents?

4. avatar sdog says:

from what i have read, these kids lifted this weapon from their grandfather, without his knowledge. Why it was not locked in a safe, or had a trigger lock on it? i have no idea. The thought of any child getting their hands on any of my guns, scares the S**t out of me.

1. avatar Graybeard says:

That is one of “those things” that I’m a bit ambivalent about.

What I don’t know – not being from Atlanta – is what the crime rate is in the area where the grandfather lives (presuming he lives near or with the grandchildren). If he has the guns in the house for home defense, there is always a chance that in the time it takes to unlock a gun-safe/gun-lock home invaders could reach and overcome him, so he stores the guns unlocked with the clips out but nearby.
      The local crime rate may also have an impact on why the boys wanted to take their grandfathers’ guns with them. Have they been robbed or attacked in the past? No word on that either at this point.
      Do the boys need to be taught better? – of course! Reading the comments on the news webpage, some of the respondents are already acting as if these boys, one just a 10-year-old, need to be beaten and locked up.
      I know growing up that if my father had caught my brothers and myself handling his pistols (which we did – and he kept them unloaded with the ammo somewhere else) he would have whupped us and confined us to our rooms.
      But without knowing more about the situation – I cannot immediately fault the grandfather for not locking his guns. If he and/or the boys father don’t whup them good for what they did, I would fault them.

1. avatar JDubya says:

Magazines… Not clips. Come on.. We know you know.

1. avatar DAVE KI says:

Beat me to it J.D.

5. avatar Nico says:

Nobody’s going for the obvious crack at the kid in the pic breaking one, maybe two gun rules, depending on if someone is behind the camera or not? Color me surprised.

6. avatar tdiinva says:

I wouldn’t trust a ten year old with either a 9mm or 45. He should be restricted to 22lr.

But seriously, isn’t anyone here disturbed that a 10 year old is walking around with a 9mm.?

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I’d like to know the exact model before rushing to judgement. Ruger LC9? Glock 21? What?

1. avatar rosignol says:

I can guarantee it wasn’t a Glock 21- those only come in .45 ACP.

😉

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Good point.

It was a KImber Solo, so nobody was in danger of being shot.

2. avatar DAVE KI says:

Well no tdiinva.He could have shot the perp but he didn’t which shows self control.Sounds like the little guy could back me anytime.

3. avatar Jack Sparrow says:

Why would we be disturbed? He clearly showed good judgement by not shooting the perp. I’d say that makes this kid a hell of a lot more trustworthy with a gun than most police officers.

4. avatar HSR47 says:

It depends on the child in question. Did you miss the post earlier this week that quoted a letter written by Thomas Jefferson advising the recipient to let the gun be his constant companion on his walks?

Newsflash, the recipient was his then 15 year old nephew.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

Jefferson’s nephew lived in a different world. A world where 15 year olds were treated like adults and were expected to behave like one. I don’t think Mr. Jefferson would have written the same thing to a 10 year old even in 1800.

You can joke about this, and I did, but there is nothing funny about a modern 10 year old who is unaccompanied by an adult run around with a 9mm. You don’t have to be a gun grabber to think this is not a good idea.

7. avatar ScottA says:

I wouldn’t mention this if the picture wasn’t so disingenuous (I know it’s from the original article) but I highly doubt the kid was white. I’m assuming this 1. Because I watched the video at the original site and 2. The original article has no mention of race and I’ve noticed enough times when no description is given at all then it’s probably not a white person.

8. My brother Jerry got mugged when he was about ten in the 1960s by a couple of kids for his Halloween candy. Guns were a little scarce, so he went back out and got more candy. The lure of free candy was stronger than his fear of another mugging. I guarantee that he would have pulled a gun to defend the first candy, but 10 year old’s are still not allowed to pack heat in Canada, and I can live with that law.

9. avatar Casey1911 says:

The article mentions that there was no clip in the weapon at the time. Not sure what they mean by that, but I would be more concerned on whether or not a loaded magazine was in the gun.

1. avatar Silver says:

Maybe it was a Garand in 9mm? The handgun model?

2. avatar DAVE KI says:

Casey:It means there was no magazine in the weapon.Bet he could have slapped one in,in about two seconds.

10. avatar Adam Z says:

Screw trigger locks! Grandpa should have kept the magazine IN the gun, and the gun should have been ON HIM.

11. avatar Ben Eli says:

Wooo hometown paper right there! Aiken is just around the corner from where I used to live.

1. avatar Ben Eli says:

Apparently the firearm didn’t have a clip in it. I wonder if there was a magazine though.

12. avatar Aharon says:

“Appropriate charges will be brought”.

Against the thug who wanted to steal their candy? Oh good!