Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Cokeman2423

There’s something uniquely terrifying about the thought that not only does this guy risk blowing his hand off, but he also runs the risk of drowning at the same time.

comments

This moron again? I was much happier when our IGOTD in Perpetuity was FPS Russia. At least FPSR is amusing.

2. avatar Don Curton says:

I’ve read in multiple places that a modern firearm will shoot underwater, but the bullet generally won’t even travel the length of the swimming pool. It also won’t cycle the action, making the piece a single-shot pistol at best.

I understand the initial fear that shooting underwater is akin to shooting with a plugged barrel, but the evidence is that it won’t blow up the pistol. I’ve seen similar clips and they all look the same. Have you any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) that it could have blown his hand off?

Not saying he’s not stupid, but if he did his research then it’s not quite as dumb as it looks.

3. avatar sdog says:

ahhh i was waiting for someone at TTAG to respond to these pool videos.

4. avatar Brice says:

Seriously? Any modern pistol will shoot underwater. I can’t believe this made IGOTD.

5. avatar Don Curton says:

Nice clip, but not the same thing. Firing fully submerged will equalize pressure inside and outside the chamber. Dunking in water and then firing in air is different. So we’re back to the question, is there any evidence that firing a modern pistol fully submerged will result in a catastrophic failure?

1. avatar Don Curton says:

My comment was in reply to a video clip that I guess was removed?

6. avatar Joe nobody says:

So firing a gun underwater is irresponsible? Do they not have rounds specifically designed to be fired underwater. im not saying its smart but I dont see how it isn’t safe or irresponsible.

1. avatar Anon says:

they have rounds designed to be fired underwater from pistols or rifles designed to be fired underwater.
      The bullets are actually long darts designed to go through water.
      And the guns are actually damaged by firing them in the air.

7. avatar JJ Swiontek says:

And the next logical question is range and penatration energy of underwater rounds. Followed by underwater-specific rounds (like flachette rounds).

8. avatar wade says:

Judging by his other videos, I find it uniquely terrifying that THIS GUY HAS A GUN!

9. avatar Fred says:

Heres a good explanation of how and why its very dangerous,
    from a Glock oriented website.