Gun Preview: Thompson Center Fire Storm Flintlock

A long, skinny brown box arrived today, courtesy of our fearless leader’s connections with Thompson Center. When I opened the package, my curious eyes were greeted with the spectacle of a stainless steel, synthetic-stocked, fiber-optic-sighted flintlock. It was like seeing George Washington wearing his uniform and cocked hat cruising around Philly in a custom Escalade with ground-effect lights and really fly rims. Part of me screamed out, like an Olympic skater who’s just been Gilloolied, “No! Noooooo! Why? Whyyyyyyyyyy?” Another part of me can’t wait to load it up with some Holy Black and patched round ball and find out how she shoots. Bonus! The Fire Storm flinter arrived right in the middle of muzzleloader deer season here in The Natural State. So who knows what I might do with this tacticool flinklock? Or what I might do to it: ACOG? Laser? Keep refreshing TTAG to find out.

10 Responses to Gun Preview: Thompson Center Fire Storm Flintlock

1. avatarChris Dumm says:

It’s nice to see a muzzleloader that isn’t trying to be a 7mm Magnum. In my state, muzzleloaders cant be used during the special hunting season unless the ignition system is exposed to the elements. No ‘bolt-action’ or in-line muzzleloaders here, no shotshell primers, no break-opens.

• avatarAnkle says:

+1. It always seemed to ruin the mystique of the muzzleloader, to me, to have special projectiles and precision primers and all that.

2. avatarRobert says:

Does it have picatinny rails yet? The whole gun needs to be railed for extra tacticoolness.

3. avatarJoe nobody says:

I guess tacticool really did jump the shark, lol.

4. avatarDon says:

This is against everything I thought I liked, but that piece is COOL!

-D

5. avatarRoy Hill says:

Don, I feel you.

All my other blackpowder pieces are traditional, wood-stocked, and old-style.

But the more I handle and look at this Fire Storm, the more it calls to me.

I should be able to fire shots out of it within the next day or so.

• avatarDon says:

As soon as I saw the picture on the blog of the flintlock action surrounded by suspiciously black matte stock I thought, “hey now, what’s going on here”, then I looked it up on the TC webpage and read a little about this piece, looked at some videos of people handling it. I am intrigued. Very much looking forward to your report!

-D

6. avatarMartin Albright says:

Seems to me it should have a 6-position collapsible M4-style stock. Of course, the digital-pattern camo nylon patch box should be on the stock!

Then add the forward pistol grip and the rails for the red-dot sight. Tacti-cool Minuteman!

All you need then is to fold your military-issue boonie hat into a tri-corner and you’re set…

7. avatarCrispin says:

Turn it into a bullpup?

8. avatarJohn says:

Well Browning has Glockified the A-5 so this is the next step.