Obscure Object of Desire: So Obscure It Probably Doesn’t Exist Editon

“Iranian engineers have designed and manufactured an advanced noiseless assault rifle, which can be used in surprise attacks the Fars News Agency reported on Sunday,” tehrantimes.com reports. “The lightweight, 8 mm, and magazine fed rifle has an electromagnetically operated projecting system, which does not need explosive powder for shooting bullets. The rifle uses 8-mm steel bullets. Its rate of fire is 30 rounds per minute and its velocity is 330 meters per second. According to the report, the rifle can be used by bodyguards and guards who are posted in oil refineries and other vulnerable facilities.”

comments

1. avatar LC Judas says:

So it is an electric rifle? I mean, really? Go green huh?

Railgun jumped to mind as a similar magnetic operating principle. Very interesting. I guess extra batteries and bullets are all you need in the future. I’ll keep my gunpowder powered fossils, thank you.

2. avatar sdog says:

i second that LC.

3. avatar Gossven says:

All I have to say to Iran is pics or it didn’t happen. Also even if it is real I would hardly consider a weapon with a cyclic rate of 30 rounds a minute to be an “assault rifle”

1. avatar HSR47 says:

I know; I can much better than that with my pistol…

4. avatar sdog says:

Iran has a long and storied history of pathetic mil tech design.this is the same country that though their “assault” boats would strike fear in the eyes of their western enemies. Some of the most recent examples:http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/iran-unveils-new-assault-boats-467or their ” stealth flying boats” (made of wood for christsake, that sprays engine exhaust directly at their pilots while operating these death traps).http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2010/09/video-irans-stealth-flying-boa.htmlbetween those and their squadrons of f-5 (exported to them in the 70’s) and their indigenous knockoff called Sa’eqeh fighter. These fools obviously know how to waste money with the best of them. one of these crashed recently, displaying the fine craftsmanship of the Iranian government. http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2011/09/video-an-f-5-crash-scene-in-a.html

1. avatar reaganmarine84 says:

dude. the first link jumps to an article about how a certain vaginal gel may help prevent HIV. DOH!!. And clicking on the second link sends me to a “page not found (error code 404)” message.

5. avatar Stephen Proud says:

At first I thought railgun, but then realized it’s probably an electric airsoft.

6. avatar Tom says:

I can see a bunch of guys running around with these rifles with extension cords plugged into a wall socket. Probably takes 460v 3 phase power from an industral power supply such as a nuclear reactor.

7. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

Iranian engineers are nothing but a bunch of worthless con artists, so you can’t believe anything these fools are trying to sell.

8. avatar Aharon says:

It is all a simple translation error. The gun does exists in a new video game developed by unemployed Persian software engineers.

9. avatar Ordine Nuovo says:

Sounds like this:

“Cabela” must be Persian.

10. avatar Javier E says:

For the life of me I thought Kirk was holding a milkshake maker;)

1. avatar Aharon says:

Either that or one of them new pleasure toy electrical-mechanical wonders.

11. avatar SCIENCE says:

So, uh, exactly how many super silent surprise attacks does the average Iranian oil refinery guard execute per year?

12. avatar APBTFan says:

Iran’s ultimate military achievement is the use of photoshop and doctored video.

13. avatar BLAMMO says:

330 m/s? Subsonic. I doubt it would even hurt much through the most ordinary body armor. Of course, there wouldn’t be much loss of energy because practically, you’d have to be fairly close to your target.

14. avatar Aaron says:

Steel projectiles hitting steel pipes, connectors, catwalks, etc. Doesn’t that sound to you like there’s still potential for the creation of a spark?

15. avatar RKflorida says:

Iranian engineering? Isn’t that an oxymoron?

1. avatar Aaron says:

They engineered a coup in 1979, and look at how that turned out…