Name That Russian Rifle

“A man shot a gas pump with a World War II era rifle early Tuesday, causing the pump to explode in flames,” wfmz.com reports. “The fire was reported shortly after midnight at Mareks Auto Center at Routes 611 and 243 in Tobyhanna, Monroe Co. (PA). Police said their investigation revealed that John Alan Woods, 34, of Lindenhurst, N.Y., shot a gasoline pump from the second floor apartment above the store. Police said Woods used a World War II-era Russian military rifle with armor-piercing ammunition. The round hit the pump, causing it to burst into flames.”

comments

1. avatar Brian says:

Mosin-Nagant 91/30

2. avatar Tom W. says:

+1 to the Moisin,….with standard milsurp ammo, NOT AP…Probably from a spam can…

1. avatar Totenglocke says:

Not necessarily. He could have easily been using incendiary ammo. It’s about $20 for a 5-pack.

1. avatar APBTFan says:

+1 on the incinediary ammo. Gas isn’t near as ignitable as one would think. AP or straight ball would have a tough time of it explosion-wise. Gas pumps are sheet metal – a dirty look might get through them.

1. avatar Matt in AZ says:

+1 Mosin–Nagant
          Incendiary rounds or AP, both are possible. Shoot a metal valve filled with liquid gas with a 7.62x54R and the liquid will vaporize and any spark will set it off. Hope the jerk is caught.

2. avatar APBTFan says:

I’m also in Arizona Matt, born and raised 39 years. High five to a fellow Arizonan.

3. avatar Patrick Carrube says:

Holy crap! I used to drive by this gas station at least twice a month during college!

+2 to the Mosin… I doubt a SVT40, although the round was almost certainly a 7.62x54R. I’m not 100% convinced that it was AP, probably steel though.

1. avatar Patrick Carrube says:

also, it’s Route 6/11, not 611… 6 and 11 route into each other for a few miles, then branch back off into their own paths.

4. avatar Steve says:

The pump was metal. The bullet went through it. Therefore it was armor-piercing.

Sorry, channeling my inner Brady.

1. avatar Ben Eli says:

Inner Brady or not that is armor piercing. It used to be that an arrow point that made its way through lamellar armor was armor piercing. I wonder if armor piercing arrow heads were regulated? Imagine if a Babylonian child got a hold of an armor piercing arrow head and it just went off, killing an innocent bystander.

I call for the banning of armor piercing arrowheads. They are evil. Especially if they are painted black.

1. avatar Odelay says:

THAT’S RACIST!

1. avatar Ben Eli says:

Well a black arrow killed my great-great-grandpappy. Now I’ve never met a black arrow, and I don’t want to.

5. avatar Steve says:

Bows do require use of the shoulder thing.

6. avatar Oddball says:

Yep… I’m thinking Mosin-Nagant with milsurp ammo. Remember that a lot of Eastern European military surplus has a soft steel core instead of lead. I know I’ve thrown sparks at an indoor range with mine (hey, I specifically asked if it was ok, and they said yes).

The genius who wrote the piece was probably referring to steel core ammo, which is readily available in spam cans. It’s not “armor piercing,” but it easily cuts through sheet metal. Well, what doesn’t?

As to the rifle, who knows? 91/30, M44, M38, Simonov, Tokarev? There are plenty of options. Seeing as how the 91/30 is the cheapest and highly recommended for blowing up gas stations, I’ll go with that one.

8. avatar Joe says:

A PTRS-41 would have been a much more interesting choice.

1. avatar APBTFan says:

I love the Wiki picture. It looks like a LimbSaver barrel deresonator stuck on the end.

9. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

the shooter was not who they think it was…judging by the tire tracks it was by a person driving a lite green 1968 pontiac lemans with posi-traction suspension….i do believe you’ll find the sheriff in the next state over pulled that vehicle over the other day with a guy matching that discription and in that vehicle’s trunk was a plasma rifle in a 40watt range ………..man i have too much time on my hands….

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

My Cousin Vinnie! How ya doin‘?

The accused shooter was man of 34, not a yoot.

10. avatar "lee n. field" says:

“Burst into flames”. Has to be a Mosin.