Sheriff Wright: Carry a Concealed Weapon. That’ll Fix It.

Chuck Wright, Sheriff of Spartanburg County, South Carolina, has had just about enough. Yesterday, his department had to deal with an attempted rape and he’s aggravated as hell about it. The victim was walking her dog at 2:00p on a Sunday afternoon when she was jumped by, in the Sheriff’s words, an “animal.” An ex-con who’d been in and out of prison more than Lindsay Lohan. Wright’s tired of apologizing to people like her, trying to explain why the repeat-offending hood who just attacked them isn’t in prison. His solution: get yourself a concealed carry permit and carry a gun…

A few choice comments from the Sheriff’s news conference reported by wyff4.com (full video at the link):

It’s too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn’t walk by and hear the cries. That would have fixed this.

I’ve had liberals call me and tell me, “The chain gang is not gonna work.” Well let me inform you that your form of justice isn’t working either.

I’m tired of looking at victims saying, “There’s life after this” … I’m tired of saying, “We’re sorry, we can’t keep them in jail.”

I want you to get a concealed weapons permit. I don’t want you to go for the mace, I want you to go for the concealed weapons permit.

Gun control to me is when you can get your barrel back on the target quick. That’s gun control. Gun control for government purposes has never worked.

Carry a concealed weapon. That’ll fix it.

I think I better stop before I get sanctioned.

Are we clear? Crystal.

comments

1. avatar DrewR55 says:

Thank God there are still some people in positions of authority with common sense.

2. avatar Robert D. says:

I live in Richland County, 1.5 hour drive from Spartanburg.

The capitol of SC is Columbia. It is in Richland County and it is very liberal.

To Sheriff Wright, THANK YOU!

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

Can I vote for Sheriff in SC if I live in Florida?

1. avatar TTACer says:

Sorry, he’s not a democrat, only eligible voters allowed.

4. avatar DaveM says:

Here in San Diego County, CA the “may issue”sheriff would probably suggest carrying a restraining order and cell phone

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

And a prepaid funeral insurance policy. You know, just in case.

5. avatar Blake says:

Liberals across the good Sheriff’s county collectively gasped and fell back on their fainting couches. Among those that fainted were members of the press corp at the news conference.

(just filling in the part of the story that wasn’t reported)

1. avatar BC; MT says:

Perhaps the trope that equates liberalism with emotionality and conservatism with rationality is so appealing because it allows one to denigrate both liberals and women in a single stroke.

1. avatar Blake says:

Not my best work, I must admit. Usually I’m able to offend more with fewer words.

Sometimes, though, I’m unable to offend anyone. Some people just have a thicker skin, I guess.

1. avatar Charles says:

I resemble that!

2. avatar psmcd says:

A college try and worth the effort. Keep that pencil sharp for more such few words. You can always poke the thicker skins.

6. avatar Just Another Matt says:

The country needs more law enforcement officers like him!!

7. avatar Silver says:

Good man.

8. avatar great unknown says:

Now Mike Bloomberg will make a large campaign donation to whomever runs against him. In the name of improving public safety.

9. avatar John says:

I would rather he’d not made this comment however.
    “You ain’t got to be accurate; you just have to get close.”

1. avatar Taurus609 says:

John, the sheriff was referring to his statement that women should carry a Taurus Judge with 410 shells. Not just an ordinary pistol or revolver!

10. avatar Javier E says:

Need more like him. Or at the very least a criminal justice system that doesn’t allow for “Repeat offenders”.

1. avatar Bryan E says:

“no repeat offenders” == “concealed carry”, right?

1. avatar Totenglocke says:

I’d say if every tenth offender was taken out on the courthouse steps and beheaded it would do a lot to deter crime (not to mention eliminate the number of people in jail or back on the streets by 10%).

11. avatar mmasse says:

Amen; Finally some common sense in an elected official. How the heck did this happen and how can we do it again?

12. avatar Bob says:

Send Sheriff Wright a nice fax (free, http://faxzero.com/) his fax # is (864) 503-4561.Encourage him to continue speaking out like he did in support of a safer society.

13. avatar garynyer says:

soooooo when hes running for president?

14. avatar Tom says:

I wish we had more LEOs like him in more jurisdictions. I have lived in some areas where you could not get a CCW permit if your life depended on it. A lot of areas only issue CCW to the political cronies.

15. avatar Richard says:

It nice hear sheriff come out tell people that hey if want be safe your allowed care gun you should instead old saw we hear from place like New York city or Washington Dc . Where be blame lady for walking her dog in middle sunday after noon than explain how ever one how been more danger her self she allowed care gun stop jerk off who attempted rape. Funny how people pushing gun control from New York or Washington DC never round save people who need gun save them self from bad people trying harm them or kill them.

16. avatar boomenshutzen says:

Common sense is not dead!

There are a lot of LEOs who would say the same thing if they were allowed to talk.

1. avatar psmcd says:

And I’d like to hear from more of them. They have my permission.

1. avatar Derek says:

Unfortunately, they don’t have their unions permission or an interested/sympathetic media.

18. avatar Varmint Hunter says:

Do the local DA & judges have this same proper, praiseworthy attitude? I’m guessing not as it appears as though the jail has a revolving door for repeat offenders. The Sheriff is terrific, but he is only part of the equation. Hopefully, he has significant influence over the rest of the equation. I sense his frustration lies not only with the criminals. Go get ’em, Sheriff! The citizens of that county who pay attention and vote will back you if your spine is steeled and you continue to demonstrate leadership & trust the people.

19. avatar CB says:

The founding fathers of this country were about as liberal as you can get. They all argued for firearms. Don’t confuse liberalism with ignorant pussies.

20. avatar Troy says:

“Carry a concealed weapon. That’ll fix it.”

I think Ted Nugent puts it just a little more plainly, “I don’t like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.”

21. avatar GS650G says:

If somebody popped that guy and made statements like that to the police they would be hooked up in a minute. And a civil lawsuit would follow.

22. avatar outdoor gyms says:

Wonderful work! Thaat is the kind of info that are supposed to be shred across thhe net.
    Shame oon the search engines for not positioning this publish upper!
    Come on over and visut mmy site . Thanks =)

23. Guaranteed to have great performance, the Villaware wafflers demarcate the true essence of waffle making.
    Whether its actual offgassing or just the toxicity of the chemical composition,
    I don’t really know for sure. Before you head on out to the
    store or go online to make a purchase of a waffle iron read
    a few reviews and make a more informed choice.

24. avatar Agueda says:

This is the reason mentors offer an essential services.
    In this article, we will discuss the differences of professional and amateur life coach.
    The best coaches will tell you that your
    personality traits are simply patterns of behavior you’ve developed (and gotten comfortable with) over your lifetime.

25. avatar Alanna says:

But whether a place of residence or business all the other human needs addressed by
    Permaculture are also present, in support of such shelter.

You need to explore the possibilities of
    what can you do depending on your abilities and resources available.

It’s a common form of hot water heating and general power
    creation.

26. It’s awesome in favor of me to have a site, which is good designed for my knowledge.

thanks admin

27. Good post. I am dealing with some of these issues as well..