Quote of the Day: Plaxico Burress (and God) Spits on the Second Amendment Edition

As part of his endorsement rehabilitation, ex-con, ex-NFL player and current NFL player Plaxico Burress has written a rambling mea culpa for globalgrind.com. No really. The piece has more elipses than a FBI transcript of a mob meeting. Except for these bits. “I was accustomed to carrying a gun, and no one even knew I was a gun owner until it accidentally discharged that night. I thought at that time that it would give me some extra security, mentally, as I had been robbed at gunpoint at one point in my life and my house had been robbed twice.” So that’s alright then. Or is it? “I read recently a line that said, ‘If it doesn’t benefit you, then it has no place in your kingdom.’ And definitely walking around the street with a gun doesn’t benefit anybody or anybody around you.” Thanks for the heads-up. Over to you Nike . . .

comments

1. avatar Varmint Hunter says:

…from Nike then over to DeWalt because he’s a tool.

2. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I still can’t believe that my JETS are allowing this moron to play for them. The only hope I have now is that they cut his dumb ass during half time of Sundays game, because this fool is all washed up in the NFL. I guess it’s a good thing that he no longer carries because he would most likely drop the gun during a play and kill our quarterback.

3. avatar Scott.a says:

Typical gun grabbing democrat. “I’m too irresponsible to do something so you shouldn’t be able to either”

1. avatar Pete says:

“And YOU should pay for my stupidity, too.”

4. avatar Javier E says:

Ex-con = not eligible for weapons ownership.
    Politicians preaching about honesty in government.
    He committed a crime and by his own action lost his ability to own firearms.
    Isn’t that like an alcoholic selling liqour? BTW GOD didn’t shoot him, he did.

1. avatar Scott.a says:

He’s a moron but he shouldn’t be a felon. Shooting yourself shouldn’t be a crime. It’s really stupid but if shooting yourself isn’t deterrent enough, making it a felony probably isn’t going to stop you. And I know the crime was actually carrying in NY but it’s also a joke.
      Although, if given unlimited power I’d make it legal to carry pretty much anywhere except a nightclub. Or at least give the owners the ability to Gun Check. A bunch of 22 year old drunk people with too much testosterone drinking, dancing, and doing drugs with a gun just doesn’t seem like a good idea and I’m very pro gun rights.

doing drugs with a gun just doesn’t seem like a good idea

I think it’s a great way to thin the herd.

5. avatar Buuurr says:

Errmmm… isn’t this the guy that killed dogs and shit?

1. avatar TL671 says:

Wrong worthless criminal football player. That was Michael Vick.

1. avatar Buuurr says:

What did this fool do? And if he is a felon why is he trying to tell me (a non-felon) how to live a life?

1. avatar TL671 says:

This particular worthless criminal football player got caught carrying a gun in NYC after he shot him self in the leg in a night club. Burress was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, and a single count of reckless endangerment in the second degree, both felonies.

2. avatar Elliotte says:

Not to mention he was carrying it loaded in his waistband with out a holster, so it was able to slip in and fall down his pants leg.

3. avatar TL671 says:

Wait, you mean that’s not how you’re supposed to do it? But that’s how all the cool people on TV do it. Besides what could possibly go wrong with a non-secured firearm in your pants?

4. avatar Gabba says:

well basically all he was really convicted of is simple possession. the reckless endangerment wouldn’t exist if possesion wasn’t illegal.

5. avatar TL671 says:

This is NYC, There is no such thing as “simple possession”. I’m not sure, but I think in New York if you are even overheard talking about a gun you are guilty of a felony.

2. avatar Bob H says:

He killed dogs and defecated on their bodies?
      He murdered both canines and feces?

6. avatar TL671 says:

This is the comment I left to that… whatever it was.

“the thought of someone shooting at me and me pulling the trigger to shoot back, that’s a situation I never want to find myself in… EVER.”

“It’s mind-boggling to even live a life where a thought like that crosses your mind. When you think about it, would I really shoot a gun to deal with a situation, no way….”

No, of course not. It makes much more sense to surrender your life to some criminal scumbag, than to take responsibility for your own protection. Most of us Mr. burress can not afford armed security, or mansions with huge fences. And besides because you were/are to irresponsible to handle/carry a firearm a safely does not mean the rest of us are as well. If you want to give up your right to self defense that is your prerogative, don’t you dare tell anyone else to give up there rights, just so you can keep your contracts.

7. avatar Silver says:

I trust an athlete’s life message the same way I trust a Hollywood actor’s political views.

How about the political views of a Chicago actor?

8. avatar michael says:

He is right. Plaxico walking around with a gun does not benefit anyone around him.

9. avatar GS650G says:

Plaxico isn’t a young woman walking to her car at night after work with three football sized men standing nearby. Of course his pretty little butt would be open season in the joint. Thanks Mr Burgress but I don’t need advice from you, neither do high school kids,

Where did the name Plaxico come from? Sounds like a name for a prescription drug.

1. avatar Bob H says:

Bleeding from the leg or foot? Suffer from inability to properly holster your handgun? Want to be a felon? Take Plaxico!

(side effects may include: Sore anal area, loss of guns and people facepalming at your actions.)
      (Other side effects may include excessive use of ellipses.)
      (additional effects may vary by state)

1. avatar GS650G says:

Also causes dementia and paranoia.
        If conditions persist more than 4 hours turn the NFL off your TV.

Be nice to Plax. He’s just trying to work off his probation. And JOE MATAFOME, if Plax makes it through the whole season, he’s going to win some games for the J E T S Jets Jets Jets.

11. avatar mikeb302000 says:

What’s embarrassing is how similar his rationale for carrying is to yours. He did it badly and had a bad negligent discharge, but it’s still very similar to what you guys preach.

As I keep saying, chances of a concealed gun doing some good are low, chances of a mishap are a bit higher. Plaxico illustrates the one, the Vegas I-Hop story the other.

1. avatar Javier E says:

Most of those here have always preached preparedness and safety. Not juice and roid-rage. He wasn’t prepared and safety was the farthest thing from his mind. Real basic: have gun need holster.