Fort Bragg loses 14,000 rounds of 5.56mm NATO

CNN is reporting that the 1st BCT (Brigade Combat Team) at Fort Bragg has, um, “misplaced” 14,000 rounds of 5.56mm NATO ammunition. The ammo has been missing since at least Wednesday, when the leadership was informed of the incident. They’ve searched the base but so far haven’t been able to find a single round. So where did all of that ammo go? I dunno, but I have some ideas. By the way, 14,000 rounds of ammo weighs about 366 pounds.

comments

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

That’s just about the cutest picture that I’ve ever seen. I love bunny rabbits.

2. avatar Margaret says:

Bunnies!!

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Baby bunnies!!

2. avatar ankle says:

I’m guessing chinchillas. But I’m no expert…

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Definitely not chinchillas. They look a lot like eastern cottontails in the picture, but they are probably a domesticated cousin, like the San Juan rabbit.

3. avatar TL671 says:

Looks like snake food to me. For a medium size snake anyway, would have to let them grow a little for a larger snake.

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Nice :>(

1. avatar TL671 says:

Snakes gotta eat too.

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

But not little bunnies. Anything but little bunnies. And maybe pikas too. ;>)

4. avatar savaze says:

You wouldn’t believe how often stuff like that happens… When I was active-duty Army I found two conex’s in a field, full of M-16A1’s, that had been missing for over 30 years. Luckily they were still on a military installation!

5. avatar AK says:

Last week wasn’t there a post about explaining away a missing 15,000+ guns from a manufacturer as an accounting error?

6. avatar Walrusleather says:

PSSSSttt hey man yeah you… come over here in the alley

Wanna buy some ammo???

How about a nice watch??

some french rifles, never been fired, only dropped once.

7. avatar martin albright says:

I know 14,000 rounds sounds like a lot but seeing as how military 5.56mm is packed in crates of 1,680 rounds (in 2 .50 cal size ammo cans per crate), that represents just over 8 crates or 16 ammo cans.

Put more simply, you could fit that much ammo into the trunk of a mid-sized car (which may, in fact, be what happened to this ammo.)

It’s also possible that this was more of a paperwork error, i.e. the ammo was transferred (legally) to another user but the paper trail wasn’t established so the ammo is only “lost” on paper.

Not trivial, but not, by far, the biggest, most expensive or most dangerous thing the military has ever lost.