Mainstream Media Gun Cluelessness of the Day: Stock Photo Edition

This lulz-worthy photo appears next to the Syracuse Post Standard’s on-line editorial opposing national concealed carry reciprocity. According to the leading lights of syracuse.com, it’s an “alarming proposal.” No shock there, but let’s focus on that pic. Can, um, someone tell me how the pictured carry method might work? Which hand do you draw with? Does this only work for contortionists? Never mind. It’s only an illustration, after all. But we can’t blame the paper’s photogs for this public display of editorial excellence. No, for that we can probably credit the site’s director of photography, Nick Lisi, who pulled the pic from the unintentionally hilariously named thinkstock.com. Sure, most Syracusans won’t have a clue as to the pic’s cluelessness. But that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy a collective coffee-spit at Nick’s expense.

comments

1. avatar GG says:

lulz indeed.

2. avatar Sutton says:

You’re very charitable. I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to imagine that there was a conscious search for a picture that confirmed the editorial board’s assumptions about this demographic.

1. avatar Aharon says:

I lived in California back when it was hotly debating open carry. The liberal mass media rags would feature the most unattractive images to negatively associate OC with undesirable people.

3. avatar Elliotte says:

Unless he’s got an extra long barrel on there, it looks like this guy is about 2-3 strides from having his pistol fall out of his pants.

4. avatar Tim says:

Minor correction – “apposing national concealed carry reciprocity” should be opposing.

1. avatar Tim says:

The Editor was out at the range I suppose.

5. avatar GarinVT says:

You’ve never seen “Syracuse Carry”? And you call yourself a gun writer.

6. avatar HSR47 says:

“Which hand do you draw with?”

It’s either a VERY wrong approach to left-hand small of back (SOB) carry, or just a wrong approach to right-hand SOB carry.

SOB carry should always be palm-in butt-up — this way you don’t have to force your entire hand behind the gun before you can extract it from it’s proper holster.

As for drawing from the above, I’m sure I could, and with either hand.

7. avatar Ordine Nuovo says:

I can and will blame the editors. Misrepresenting concealed carry fits their agenda perfectly. Anything to denigrate manliness and self-defense.

8. avatar MikeSilver says:

Interestingly, Syracuse Post Carry is illegal in alot of states. There are a bunch of states that require firearms be holstered.

As an OC’er, I’d challenge that idiot and probably call the cops on him for endangering the public. I’m sure me and the PoPo could figure out a charge for that.

9. avatar garynyer says:

Hahaha the Syracuse gun show was so awesome last weekend