Barrett M240LW Test Fire (And No Lousy T-Shirt)

That would be LW for lightweight—although I’d probably have gone with lightER weight. Just sayin’. Here’s a comparo of similar guns’ gravity suck from 208.84.116.223:

PKM = 7.5 kg
MG3 = 11.5 kg
M60 = 10.5 kg
M60E3 = 8.5
FN MAG = 11.8 kg
[Barrett] M240 = 12.5 kg

comments

1. avatar sdog says:

keep the damn t shirt i’ll take one of these to go!

2. avatar Ben Eli says:

Could you give more info on the weapon? I tried to google it and all I could find were pictures from the US army expo and this article.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

I’ve put a call into Barrett . . .

1. avatar Ben Eli says:

Awesome. For some reason it isn’t on their website.

3. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

What’s with the metric weights? This isn’t Canada. I’ll still take my old M60…

1. avatar JustSomeGuy says:

Cujo, you sure you want your old M60? And not, maybe, this one:

M60E4

Another look:

Torture Test

1. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

Hell yes! That is awesome. And changing barrels was a pain in the ass anyway… Thanks!

1. avatar JustSomeGuy says:

Always happy to oblige…

4. avatar JustSomeGuy says:

Always happy to oblige….

5. avatar Sid says:

The 240 is a beast. It weighs too much and you cannot carry it in a readily fired position. Today’s soldiers are loaded down already. Add ammo, weapon, armor, and water…. ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

On the other hand, the M60 fleet was used up. The weapons got old and needed too much maintenance.

That is all I have to say about that.

6. avatar Nate says:

The FN MAG/M240 is substantially more reliable than the M60. During testing between the MAG and the M60E2 the MAG fired roughly 3,000 rounds between stoppages. The M60, only 850. The M60 was still an option if you needed a really light weight GPMG, but with the adoption of the Mk 48 Mod 0 by USSOCOM I doubt the M60E3/E4 is seeing much use.

For the record the M240E6 weighs in at 9.3kg, not 12.5 (heavier than the original MAG/M240B). I think Barrett is simply producing them under contract. I had wondered why the had an M240 at their display during SHOT Show. This explains it.

7. avatar Kris says:

Youre weight for the Barret M240 is incorrect. This M240 is LW, AKA Lightweight and Barret clearly shed some pounds off of it. And the weight of a normal M240 is 12.5kg, so I would seriously doubt a lightweight designated M240 is the same weight