Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Rifleman Channel

Our maximum leader has posted frequently about the hazards of shooting into water. Bullets can skip like stones off of the surface, ending up…who knows where? Obviously, this can have tragic results. Here’s a video, courtesy of the Rifleman Channel, that illustrates this with alarming clarity. There’s no telling what or who is down range from the shooter as he repeatedly fires an AR across the surface of a pond trying to “curve a bullet.” As the tracers clearly show, the bullets skip and are launched into the night. And like Longfellow’s arrow, the rounds fell to earth, he knows not where. Rule 4: know your target and what’s beyond it.

comments

1. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

If I had been on the other side he would have regretted that! I’m also surprised he didn’t start a fire in the woods. This is the best graphic example of water deflection I have ever seen. But, seriously, did he even think to check if anyone was over there?

1. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

Someone take this guy’s rifle and give him a slingshot…maybe.

We’re assuming that the shooter didn’t know what was on the other side of the lake. It’s a fair assumption, but not necessarily correct. OTOH, the deflections were awesome.

1. avatar Margaret says:

Even if he knew what was directly on the other side of the lake, some of those rounds cleared the trees. There’s no telling how far they went before they stopped.

I do agree that it looked cool, but then, so do tornadoes, and we all know how deadly they can be.

Question: Why is an Arkasas tornado like an Arkansas divorce?
        Answer: Either way, somebody’s gonna lose a trailer.

1. avatar Margaret says:

Ha!

3. avatar Adam says:

I’m not sure it’s fair to criticize – we don’t know what’s beyond the trees, the shooter might and it could very well be perfectly safe.

1. avatar Rebecca says:

And yet… he was shooting tracers. Into the trees. Could’ve started a fire.

1. avatar Adam says:

But unless you were there to verify that the trees/brush were dry and vulnerable to catching fire I’m still not sure it’s fair to criticize.

4. avatar ArmedDog says:

Daniel, you are quite the ENDO fanboy I gather? I’ve noticed for a while that a good portion of your posts reflect his content.

5. avatar killer99 says:

Something similar happened to me about a month ago, I had just bought some .30-06 tracers and was shooting them at my friends house. (they live out in the prairie) We where shooting by a river and down the canyon (which the river ran though) at a patch of brush(it has been a wet year so we’re not worried about a fire.) about 600 yards away. No ricichtes until another one of my freinds shot the shale about 300 feet to the right, we watched as the round few up and towards town.( abot ten miles away but still.) Needless to say we stoped after that.