New York Times Magazine Shoots Knob Creek

The folks that run the annual Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot and hoedown decided not to grant a NYT photographer a press pass. As the Gray Lady puts it, the “managers of the range were concerned that the magazine would publish a negative story.” Ya think? Anyway, the Times was smart enough to send a (camera) shooter from Texas who “speaks the language.” Because from a New York vantage point, Kentucky’s about as foreign as it gets. Access was ultimately granted, though, and he did manage to capture some images of sufficient coolness to warrant a click on the link, above. [It’ll probably also be amusing to keep an eye on the Times’ comment section at the bottom of their post. You can just imagine the horror upper west siders will experience when they discover what happens at Knob Creek. And that it’s legal.]

comments

1. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I’m thrilled to hear that they won’t allow those no good COMMIES from NY to cover their great event.

2. avatar Charles says:

As usual, the NYT provides beautiful photography to accompany a story. Say what you like about these guys, they know their business and they do an excellent job of selling their content.

1. avatar Scott.a says:

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not but I was under the impression the NYT was seriously struggling financially. I know they were and I haven’t seen anything about them getting out of trouble

1. avatar UT_Rob says:

I don’t think he’s being sarcastic. Did you click the link in the story? The Times’ photographer, Chris Anderson, got some wonderful photos of the event.

3. avatar Tony says:

Nice pics. There was only one comment when I looked and it was a guy saying he was a WWII vet. He said guns weren’t his thing. He also said in ungrammatical French, to each his own tastes. So at least he is understanding.

4. I hope the photographer used the money from the NY Slimes to buy himself a gun here in Abilene- we need to support out local gunsellers!

5. avatar Jeff H says:

Who the hell let you NY pussies in Kentucky?

1. avatar Miriam says:

(Expletive deleted) – I’m a New York, Upper West Side conservative. Care to take this outside?

1. avatar Neo says:

I pity you. You must be awful lonely.

2. avatar Aaron says:

New Yorker here that attended the Knob Creek shoot twice, and made two YouTube videos to show how much I enjoyed the event and appreciate our 2A freedom.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Please post the links.

6. avatar DirtCrashr says:

Bwahahaa! The first comment at the NYT is a poem with a French punchline!!

7. avatar Bob Wang says:

The first NYT comment is hilarious in its misuse of French.
    Lesson for liberal poseurs, DON’T use a foreign language in which you are not fluent.

8. avatar Charlie Foxtrot says:

Like the NY Times; I, too, am horrified.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT AMMO COSTS NOWADAYS!?!?!?!

Man, a couple of runs with a Thomson could keep me in .45 ACP for 6 or 7 trips to the range. ;^)’ Still it is a supremely efficient way of converting money into noise. And isn’t that what it’s all about? Converting money into the Sound of Freedom.

Cat IIIs are beyond me here in Kalifornia. To to my brothers in Kentucky; “Unload one for me!”

9. avatar AD says:

CF, if you think ammo prices are bad this year, you should have been here last year (Heh!).
    At least we’re starting to see some semblance of normalcy returning to the ammo market.

10. avatar Robert Langham says:

Just imagine if they ever discover the National Matches being run at Camp Perry for most of the Summer…..and that it’s gone on for the last 108 years!