It’s been a while since TTAG attempted to dispel fears about the U.N. Small Arms Treaty. As we’ve said on numerous occasions (enter “treaty” in the home page search box), the U.N. Small Arms Treaty is about getting the rest of the world to sign up to the same controls that the United States uses (e.g. end user certificates) to prevent sales to terrorists and other undesirables . . .
It’s a shame the U.N. is about as transparent a granite wall; the lack of a draft accord has allowed the GG-RAN (Gun Grabbing Red Alert Network) to run wild with rumors of blue-helmeted storm troopers SWAT teaming American gun owners to prize weapons from their [soon-to-be] cold, dead hands.
A Forbes article entitled U.N. Agreement Should Have All Gun Owners Up in Arms has reignited these rumors:
What, exactly, does the intended agreement entail?
While the terms have yet to be made public, if passed by the U.N. and ratified by our Senate, it will almost certainly force the U.S. to:
- Enact tougher licensing requirements, creating additional bureaucratic red tape for legal firearms ownership.
- Confiscate and destroy all “unauthorized” civilian firearms (exempting those owned by our government of course).
- Ban the trade, sale and private ownership of all semi-automatic weapons (any that have magazines even though they still operate in the same one trigger pull – one single “bang” manner as revolvers, a simple fact the ant-gun media never seem to grasp).
- Create an international gun registry, clearly setting the stage for full-scale gun confiscation.
- In short, overriding our national sovereignty, and in the process, providing license for the federal government to assert preemptive powers over state regulatory powers guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment in addition to our Second Amendment rights.
Note the words “almost certainly” before Larry Bell’s source-free Red Dawn-like plot outline for the destruction of Americans’ Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
While I’ve been upbraided by The Walls of the City for being a lazy journalist (don’t ask), Bell makes this gun blogger look like a New Yorker fact checker (should such a thing still exist).
This is the same Chicken Little routine the Gun Owners of America and the NRA have been selling for a while. Though not recently; sleeping dogs have been lying (so to speak) since last November. That’s when I posted Here’s the U.N. Gun Grab You’re Looking For.
While the price of freedom is eternal cliches—I mean vigilance, it’s a good idea to watch the right threat. As the Brits say, it’s the bus you don’t see that kills you.