Ruger Unveils New SR40c

From the press release: “The SR40c is the compact version of the recoil reducing, striker-fired SR40™ pistol, one of the slimmest and most ergonomic full-sized .40 caliber pistols on the market today. The Ruger SR40c pistol has a 3.5″ barrel and an overall length of 6.85″. The pistol weighs 23.40 oz. and features a height of 4.61″, with the same slim 1.27″ grip width (across safety levers) as the full-sized SR40. It has a fully adjustable 3-dot sight system and an integral accessory rail that accommodates most lights and lasers . . .

The SR40c offers modern safety features such as a visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator, striker blocker, trigger safety, magazine disconnect and an ambidextrous, frame-mounted manual safety.”

Ruger’s website lists the gun $525 with a nine-round mag and a fifteen-round magazine with a grip extension. You get a choice of a two-tone (brushed stainless silver/black Nitridox Pro) or all black.

TTAG’s encounters with the SR40 were something of a mixed bag. While we admired the SR40′s lack of snappiness—a real boon (boom?) for fans of .40 caliber handguns—we had some less-than-ideal experiences with a gritty trigger (as in filled with actual, honest-to-god grit).

As the main SR40 review concluded, the full-size SR40′s inability to match the SR9c’s magnificent trigger was its Achilles heel (rectified by a not-inexpensive but entirely successful Galloway Precision trigger job).

If the Ruger SR40c rectifies the go-pedal issue whilst maintaining .40 caliber recoil suppression, it’s a hit! Which it might be anyway, but there you go.

About Robert Farago

11 Responses to Ruger Unveils New SR40c

1. avatarRalph says:

Oh, goodie, another plastic compact .40. As Daniel Zimmerman noted in the previous post, there’s as much originality in Gun Valley as there is in Hollywood. As far as the trigger is concerned, all DA triggers are rendered virtually inoperable by regulations promulgated by the Massivetwoshits Attorney General. Which is why I got a two-stage Apex trigger job on my M&P .40c. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

• avatarRudy says:

Sorry for off-topic, but how is M&P grip in comparison to Glock, or CZ-75, or BHP? I’ve heard mixed things about M&P, but there are none around to check for myself.

2. avatarChris Dumm says:

Another Ruger semi-auto? I’m more interested in an a hypothetical SR45 (hint hint) than another .40 from anybody.

Ruger makes great guns, but I’m starting to worry that they’re competing against themselves with all of their redundant product lines. They make two similarly-priced lines of .22 auto pistols (.22/45 and Mk. III), two different lines of centerfire SA revolvers (Vaquero and Blackhawk), two different rimfire revolver designs (Single-Six and Bearcat), two lines of snubnose revolvers (SP101 and LCR), three different flavors of 9mm (P95, LC9 and SR9), kinds of .40 (P95 and SR40) and one .45 ACP and .380.

These are all solid and successful designs, but it sucks when you spend a fortune developing innovative products but customers skip buying them because they’re going to buy one of your cheaper products.

I like my P95, but it’s a dated design and at $300 new it’s hardly a cash cow for Ruger. Maybe it’s time to streamline their catalog?

And that’s not even mentioning their three different large DA revolver frames, the GP100, Redhawk and Super Redhawk.

3. avatarGerard says:

Very weird that the two guns (9 and 40) would have such different triggers. I would think the frames and all internals would be completely interchangeable.

4. avatarDave says:

Robert:

Please try to get a SR40c to do a review, esp. of the trigger. Would like to wait for that before buying one. Jeff Quinn at GunBlast says there is no difference in the triggers on the SR and SRc models. Think you have done a more in-depth analysis of that though.

Thanks.

5. avatarRichard Tompkins says:

I purchased an SR40C for my birthday last week and found it to be both pleasant to shoot and accurate. My oldest daughter’s friend Lucas carries an SR9C which I have had occasion to shoot and I seriously have trouble noting much difference in the two pistols’ performance, with particular emphasis as to recoil. Both guns have surprisingly light recoil. Field stripping was a breeze and required no tools. As to price the newest gun store a few blocks from my office had it priced at $475.00.

6. avatarPat says:

Paid $440.00 for my SR40c 7/26..After a good cleaning,took it to the range. Shot win. 180gr fmj factory and american eagle 180gr fmj factory ammo. Shot 200 rounds, no problems at all. It was actually a pleasure to shoot, smooth and accurate at 30′. Cleaning was easy, and I like the the new extractor pin. I also like the trigger and the mag release opperation a little more than my SR9… both are a little smoother. I,m real happy with it so far..

7. avatarRichard Tompkins says:

In regard to appropriate holsters I purchased a Tagua Gunleather model MBH-310 made for the Ruger SR9 (as well as S&W Sigmas and Glock models 19, 23, and 32) and it was a perfect fit. A good value for $45.00.

8. Question, just purchased a SR40c and like it a lot due to smooth action, various safety features and easy on the grip. However, it’s been jamming on and off. Empty the round on the chamber and then it fires fine for a lot more. I was told at the range that these compact pistol, 9, 40 or .380 would jam if I dont have a firm grip on the pistol. The slider will go back but not enough pressure when it reset due to the kick. I am concerned that it is the actual pistol. Have previously shot .357 mag and .45 when I was in the military. Is this right or I was not given the correct information at the gun range, including by the manager of the range which shot the gun with about 30 rounds and only had one time that it happened to him and he said the same, that he had lost the grip on the one that didnt fire the next bullet.

9. In regards to the above question, I also had the gun thoroughly cleaned and oiled but removed any excess oil before I went to the range. The problem happened both days, these past Saturday and Sunday. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

10. avatarrob says:

I dont know what your talking about on the trigger,mine is great the best trigger pull of any 40 I have shot.