Click here to read Outgunned. It’s Representative Elijah E. Cummings’ pre-hearing report, asserting that “lax gun laws” forced the ATF into desperate measures (i.e. its anti-gun smuggling gun smuggling operation). Cummings’ circus is now on, with the Obama apologist parading gun control advocates in front of the Congressional cameras, including Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke’s last hurrah. [Full list of witnesses after the jump] Bottom line: forget Gunwalker. The feds should increase the criminal penalties for straw purchases (i.e. lower the burden of proof), enact a dedicated firearms trafficking statute and implement a multiple long gun sales registry. Ironically enough, ATF agents and their bosses (and their bosses’ bossess) engaged in Operation Fast and Furious would fall afoul of two of these recommendations . . .
- Senator Charles Schumer (NY)
- Michael R. Bouchard, former Assistant Director Field Operations, ATF
- Thomas Mahoney, Assistant State’s Attorney Supervisor, Gang Prosecution Unit, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office
- Eric Olson, Senior Associate, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- Kristen Rand, Legislative Director, Violence Policy Center
- Paul Helmke, President, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
- Colby Goodman, Author of “U.S. Firearms Trafficking to Mexico: New Data and Insights Illuminate Key Trends and Challenges”