Question of the Day: How Tacticool Are You?

Yesterday, the Violence Policy Center (VPC) tried to throw some gun control oil on the soon-to-roiled waters of the Congressional investigation into the ATF’s gun-running. They released a report highlighting the “militarization of the U.S. firearms market.” While the VPC’s accusations are a classic distraction technique, no question: the AR (originally ArmaLite Rifle) is now “America’s rifle.” And why not? They’re easy-to-use, value-priced, reliable and accurate. And fun! And yes, there is a huge and growing market for tactical-flavored firearms and accessories that appeal to “the warrior within.” Has your gun life been militarized? And . . . so what? Is warrior chic less desirable or more dangerous to society than hunter chic? [h/t to Sdog for the link]

comments

1. avatar sdog says:

nice signed naked chick picture framed up on the wall in the background

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

That’s not a chick.

Google “Guy with Guns.” First image.

He signed a copy for me.

1. avatar Bob H says:

I magnified that corner of the pic. I may not eat dinner tonight.

1. avatar Van says:

Hilarious video.

2. avatar sdog says:

ya this ish is ridiculous , what’s dangerous is this range commando with his high and tight

1. avatar Van says:

You do realize this is a joke, right?

1. avatar sdog says:

god i would hope so, but the ridiculousness of this video is undeniable.

2. avatar Lance says:

I pray to all of the gods that it is.

3. avatar poppymann says:

I love the part about taking eight years to pay off his scope.

4. avatar Zealot says:

Very little to not at all. I guess I subscribe more to the KISS philosophy; and not just the rocking and rolling all night and partying ev-er-y day either but the keeping it simple as well. Though I have no problem with someone wanting to add whatever they want to their gun… dress ‘er up if that’s what you fancy!

5. avatar Freeport56 says:

How much weight do you want to bare is the real question? I follow the K.I.S.S., outfit my weapons with what I need to win, cool is NOT a consideration!

6. avatar Jamie says:

I have three AR’s, two have collapsible stocks and all three have Burris “tactical scope rings”. Thats about as tactical as I get. I don’t want the extra weight because I use my AR’s for hunting and not just range work. I do like the look of AR’s that are tactified, a few of my friends have theirs pimped out pretty good..

7. avatar Bob H says:

I guess I will never get my tacticool or mall ninja badges. All my guns are vanilla, just as they came from the factory. Of course our rifles are pistol caliber carbines so I really don’t expect to ever need a scope…

8. avatar Tony says:

If I ever decide to go mall ninja with a rifle I’ll do it to a Ruger 10/22. For a serious use rifle I go bare bones. I’m quite happy with iron sights on an AR though I might consider a scope. If I’m going to carry extra weight it is going to be loaded magazines.

9. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

I love the “heat seeking night vision” scope.

1. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

That thing has to be even heavier than my RPK! Where’s the bayonet and the under mounted Mossberg 500 pump shotgun?

10. avatar Vigilantis says:

I’ve got a pretty nice bolt-action hunting rifle with a synthetic stock and a bipod, but the bright stainless finish isn’t very tactical. That’s probably the closest thing to tacticool I’ve got, I tend to keep it old school. Currently, the only semiautomatic rifle I own is an old, beaten-up model 60. I do like the looks of that M&P 15, though. I could learn to live with one of those.

1. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

Look over the Ruger SR 556 in 5.56 or 6.8 SPC first-you’ll be glad you did. It’s more than the Smith, but the quality shows. I’d carry my 6.8 back into combat tomorrow if I had to.