Ohio Set to Significantly Expand CCW Rights

Things moved fast in the Ohio legislature Wednesday. After years of effort, the House passed a bill that would significantly expand the state’s concealed carry law. If it becomes law, bars, restaurants, nightclubs, shopping malls, museums and sports stadiums will be added to the list of venues in which CCW license holders can carry legally. The Senate didn’t waste much time, passing the same expansion less than an hour later. Business owners will still be able to post signs indicating lawful carriers aren’t welcome. And drinking will still be against the law while packing (resulting in a felony conviction and loss of rights). Despite opponents’ predictions of free-flowing buckeye blood, governor John Kasich has said he’ll sign the bill. The moral: elections matter.

comments

1. avatar Derek says:

I’m just happy that I’ll be able to grab Chipotle without commiting a felony.

1. avatar Buuurr says:

hah! Going to Chipotle is a felony!

2. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

Ohio is setting a fine example that all the non commie loving states can follow.

1. avatar Matt H says:

Here in Virginia, it’s just a misdemeanor to consume alcohol while carrying concealed in a bar or restaurant. I can understand it being illegal, but Ohio’s making it a felony is way over the top. Even DUI (which I think is more dangerous then merely carrying) usually has to have aggravating factors to become a felony.

So I would say there are better examples for other states to follow.

3. avatar John Fritz says:

I listen to Bill Cunningham on the interwebs. He repeatedly debunks the blood-in-the-streets meme that the Ohio anti-gunners have been propagating. He’s also in full support of allowing guns in venues that serve alcohol. Definitely a friend of Ohioans gun rights.

4. avatar Barbarossa says:

As an Ohio resident and CCW holder, this is long overdue. And yes, Derek, I said the very same thing went to Chipotle this past Monday.

5. avatar Res Publica Americana says:

Now all you Ohioans have to do is annihilate all permitting and licensing schemes by legislative repeal to achieve full constitutional carry. Good luck.

6. avatar RecoveringAtheist says:

Man I hate Illinois…

7. avatar Terry4Strokes says:

Hallelujah! Now if we can muzzle the Ohio Restaurant Asso., to keep most places un-posted, I might even return to downtown Cleveland…

… and if you’re going to downtown Cleveland, you’d better be armed.