Q1 Handgun Sales Eclipse Rifle Sales. Again. Still.

Thanks to liberalized concealed carry laws, handgun sales have ones again outpaced sales of long guns. Anecdotally, Smith & Wesson tells TTAG they’re back-ordered on just about every handgun they make. Ruger, whose sales volume continues to trump Smith’s, have a HUGE hit in the shape of their LC9, threatening to put the LCP craze to shame. The brands mentioned are the category leaders. Nikon owns optics, while Leupold is the King of accessories. In short, in general, the firearms industry continues to be hale and hearty. If you’re looking for selection, quality and price when buying a new gun—and who isn’t?—these are the good old days.

comments

1. avatar John Fritz says:

Plastic fantastic.

2. avatar Buuurr says:

I contributed to that win. 🙂

3. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I’ve been waiting five months for my S&W Model 41 from the performance center, and it looks like I may have to wait until Dec.(if I’m lucky) before it arrives. I’ve also been waiting eight months for my new Kimber Rimfire Super to leave their custom shop, and this one’s going to take longer than the S&W. I’m going to order the Wilson Combat SDS from their custom shop and I hope to have it in less than two years if I’m lucky.

4. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

As much as I love my Smith & Wesson revolvers It’s not hard to see Ruger surpassing them, Smith’s revolver prices have become ridiculously high. I’m curious as to how sales are on the Remington 1911A1.

Hale and hearty? Try Laurel and Hardy. If Ruger or S&W were to develop a better rifle instead of retreading their old ones, I’m sure that their rifle sales would be more vibrant. When the AR-15, a 60+ year old platform, is cutting edge, what else is there to say?

6. avatar Blame it on Rio says:

“liberalized concealed carry laws”

Careful of the use of the word “liberalized” ol’ boy! This could be interpreted as just the opposite of what you intended 🙂