TTAG APB: Come Shoot the Ruger SR1911 Next Thursday PM

As promised, I’ve arranged some range time for members of TTAG’s Armed Intelligentsia who’d like some trigger time with the new Ruger SR1911. I’ve rented the American Firearms School in North Attleboro, MA. The Ruger Rumble will start at 8:30 pm next Thursday (the cinco de Mayo) and run ’til 10 pm. As AFS is charging me $225 for the slot, I respectfully request a $15 contribution (i.e. fee) payable on the night. Although AFS rents a nice selection of pistols and long guns, you’re welcome to bring your own firearms. AFS would like you to buy their ammo and targets. EXCEPT for those of you feeding the Ruger SR1911 . . .

We’d like to run as many different types of ammo through the Ruger as possible, in as many magazines as we can scrounge. So BYOB and 1911 mags (if you have any) for the SR1911. (Please log your results on the clipboard for our review.)

I’ll also bring my FN SCAR and Benelli M2 for your dining and dancing pleasure. Joe’s offering his trio of S&W 500s. You’re welcome to have a go on one or more of those bad boys for $1 a pop (to cover the ammo).

In fact, it would be great if we could all share our guns with each other. Safety will, of course, be paramount. We’ll have Range Safety Officers who will tolerate no transgressions (e.g., you must load on the line), and we’ll be looking out for each other (i.e. if you see something you don’t like, tell the RSO immediately).

If you’re game on, email guntruth@me.com with “I’m in” in the subject bar. Spaces are limited, so jump on it. Also, you’re welcome to share your lane with up to three of your mates. As long as they pay too.

If you live too far to participate, don’t fret. If this works out, we’ll send the SR1911 along to another TTAG scribe for a similar event in a different location.

This should be good.

comments

1. avatar Eric S says:

Wish I could come… alas, I’m in Ohio. Maybe if it makes its way out here.

2. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I’ll be there with the three S&W 500’s and you’ll be able to choose from 350 grain to 700 grain rounds. The 350’s are like shooting a 44, and you should only try the 700’s if you enjoy extreme recoil. The BONE COLLECTOR has a 10 1/2 inch barrel (18 inches overall) and is real easy to shoot. The snub nose has a 4 inch barrel, a real nasty recoil and will dent your hand real good if you want a go. The other 500 has an 8 3/8 inch barrel with a scope and is easy with the small grains and mighty nasty with the 600 and 700 grains. If you haven’t shot a 44 or other large caliber handgun, you shouldn’t attempt to shoot any of these guns because you may catch a barrel to the head. (only one bullet will be in the gun at anytime to avoid any problems)

1. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

Damn, Joe-your choice for calibers is like my sex life-over penetration!

3. avatar Dan m says:

I’m interested in coming to check out the new Ruger. Does anyone know if it will be mass legal? Ruger has been good about getting guns mass certified but I don’t think this one can be. My limited understanding is that there must be a firing pin block. I hope I’m wrong.

4. avatar Lou says:

Wow, sounds like a great time. Wish I were able to make it, but I’ll be working.

5. avatar Bob H says:

Please pass it along to Foghorn at some point. He lives somewhere near my neck of the woods.

6. avatar Todd AF Vet says:

I wish I could be there, but I live out here in the Socialist Republic of California. I do have a question. Does anyone know if the Ruger SR 1911 will be California certified anytime soon. Just wondering

7. avatar Richard Jensen says:

So, if it gets sent to Brad, will he be doing a shoot in the Dallas area? I’d want to participate in that!