Speaker Perez Bans Concealed Carry Guns for CA Assemblymen

“Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez [above] has asked the lower house’s chief sergeant-at-arms to revoke authorization several members were given to carry concealed firearms in the Capitol, sacbee.com reports, “‘pending a full review of safety and security measures.'” Perez’s official statement: “The Speaker does not believe that members should bring weapons into the Capitol because the job of protecting the men and women who visit and work in the Capitol is best left to the well trained professionals in the Sergeant’s office and the California Highway Patrol. The Speaker has asked members to work with his office to review safety and security concerns they may have about their district offices. The safety of the men and women who visit the Capitol, as well as their representative’s district office is the highest priority for the Speaker.”

comments

1. avatar Danni says:

“…the job of protecting the men and women who visit and work in the Capitol is best left to the well trained professionals in the Sergeant’s office and the California Highway Patrol.”

I would stake my passion for self-preservation far above anyone else’s “job” to perform the same duties.

2. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

What do you expect from some moron in the “PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA”.

3. avatar Skippy says:

I don’t think the purpose of legally carrying a concealed handgun is to protect “the men and women who visit and work in the Capitol.” Speaker Perez is right. Public security SHOULD be left up to the HiPo, et. al.

However, responsibility for an individual’s protection is best left to the individual.

I’ve met my congressman and I’m sure not going to trust him to protect me.

4. avatar Jayson R says:

At least they no longer have the double standard that most other states do (e.g. ONLY members of the Assembly can carry).

Special rights for elected official always irks me.

1. avatar Wes says:

That was my first thought, too.

5. avatar MikeJ says:

Good to see how much trust he has in his co-workers. I’m sure they will all feel more like like signing around the campfire now.

6. avatar Greg in Allston says:

Doesn’t he look like a happy f#@*?

1. avatar TTACer says:

He looks as dumb as a sack of wet hammers.

7. Reason #34,657 why Texas is a better place to live, work and raise a family than California. Our capitol building is unlocked and open to the public much of the time. Within the past two years we finally had to install metal detectors to screen folks visiting the rotunda but CHL holders are exempt and can enter without going through the normal screening. Most of our state Representatives and Senators have their CHL and carry at work in the capitol. Our capitol police are aware of this and actually “encourage” the legislature to practice with their firearms regularly.

8. avatar Joe Doakes says:

California reminds me more of the Soviet Union every day . . .